Going Long and Hard.

Poagies are super stupid when you see people using them in these parts. They become un-dumb when you have a serious risk of freezing you hands off.

@pearl and I wrapped up a ride at 6mile from the canal lot a few years ago. It was in the low 40's and we saw 2 guys decked out with their fat bikes set up like it was -30. Pogies, heavy jackets, head scarfs, etc.
We both rolled our eyes and really havent stopped rolling them. :)

I did Tuscobia without them at -28 degrees for 19+ hours...Not even slightly cold hands.
Let's also note that you don't wear any gloves at all until the temperature drops below freezing.

Foreigner wrote a song about this condition, back in the 70's:

Some Fat Bike dudes are just in it for the Accessories. Kinda like most of the Bikepacking crowd. Bags all over the place with no idea what goes in them. Maybe the Gravel Grinder folks are in this group too? Like driving a Hummer around town.

Poagies are super stupid when you see people using them in these parts. They become un-dumb when you have a serious risk of freezing you hands off.

My hands and feet got cold this week and will probably warm up sometime around April. People's bodies deal with the temperatures differently. :)

My hands and feet got cold this week and will probably warm up sometime around April. People's bodies deal with the temperatures differently. :)
Overnight temps approached cold this week, maybe touching where poagies wouldnt be total retard status. There are many gloves solutions for down to 15 on the road and 0 on the mtb. Below that is where you have to figure something out.

It is similar when the temps hit 55-60's and all the trainer monkeys come out of the basement wearing kit for the 30's when we are in summer kit.

I'm going to run them this weekend just because I'm only a couple weeks out and need to get used to them. But it isn't cold enough at all. Not even close. Folks that are cold now are cold only because they have no idea how to dress when Fall hits. It's 60 and they break out every piece of Winter gear they own. Now it's in the teens and you have no more clothes left. You have to allow your body to feel the cold and adjust through a couple months and you'll be fine. Now you have to sit on the trainer eating Cheetos. Haha for you.

PS - This is the 3rd time it's snowed in a week, maybe Fat Bikes won't be dumb anymore?

I'm going to run them this weekend just because I'm only a couple weeks out and need to get used to them. But it isn't cold enough at all. Not even close. Folks that are cold now are cold only because they have no idea how to dress when Fall hits. It's 60 and they break out every piece of Winter gear they own. Now it's in the teens and you have no more clothes left. You have to allow your body to feel the cold and adjust through a couple months and you'll be fine. Now you have to sit on the trainer eating Cheetos. Haha for you.

PS - This is the 3rd time it's snowed in a week, maybe Fat Bikes won't be dumb anymore?
Been realllly hard to ride through

Let's also note that you don't wear any gloves at all until the temperature drops below freezing.

Foreigner wrote a song about this condition, back in the 70's:

Yes they did..

Last edited:
FB_IMG_1513471196163.jpg
IMG_20171216_194742_606.jpg

Another century on the fatty.

yeah - that isn't alot of time to make the connecting flight in seattle. :D

your decision making has been as solid as your riding. Nothing to worry about, do what you do.

An hour is perfect for me as the second flight leaves from the same terminal so just have to walk over a gate or 3.

Back
Top Bottom