Going Long and Hard.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
15726309_10211548409247801_5506245009978963045_n.jpg

After Jay and my colleagues told me I'm going to die with my cheesy little stove, I bought a new, less cheesy little stove. Hopefully I can get enough practice with it this weekend before I mail it out to MT to meet my bike and gear. Nothing like a last minute gear change to ease the nerves, am I right?

jackx

15726309_10211548409247801_5506245009978963045_n.jpg

After Jay and my colleagues told me I'm going to die with my cheesy little stove, I bought a new, less cheesy little stove. Hopefully I can get enough practice with it this weekend before I mail it out to MT to meet my bike and gear. Nothing like a last minute gear change to ease the nerves, am I right?

Soundz like this last minute change would be less worrisome than changing your bike or the gear bag harness setup. Hope that is the case!

Good move. Hope it is a multi-fuel stove that you can use with white fuel , propane, diesel, etc. Then all you have to worry about is getting some white fuel for it when you get to MT. Would be great if the race provides fuel for the racers as otherwise everyone would have to locate and get to a local store for fuel.

Best of luck, Jim. It will be cool to watch your race!

Steve Vai

Do you use the stove regularly during the race or is it just for survival?

Good luck during the race

For this race there's a mandatory water boil at CP1. About 13 hours after the race start. If you fail the water boil, you get booted. Automatic DNF.

Normally the stove is to melt snow to drink during sections with no Aid Stations. Say between CP1 and CP2 at this race. I ran out of water and didn't bring my stove with me. Fail.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Navigation of the course looks like it could be quite a challenge in itself. Many intersections, and depending on weather and markings risk for error. Maybe consider a few copies of the map on waterproof paper.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
For the benefit of followers, once started, racers can only take on food supplies at checkpoints...no gear whatsoever.

The only thing you could have done at the hotel is get better rest. What is your sleep habits like? Can you rest as needed or only when the sleep monster calls and you collapse. Some folks like me have a tilt switch. I can catch winks at will just about anywhere.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
I'm getting myself psyched into following the FP and ITI by reading Jill's latest book, "Into the North Wind" . There is insight that better explains the 2015 ITI like for example why Beat And Steve did not finish.

Steve Vai

I'm getting myself psyched into following the FP and ITI by reading Jill's latest book, "Into the North Wind" . There is insight that better explains the 2015 ITI like for example why Beat And Steve did not finish.

I've been reading that book as well. I had the opportunity to race with Jill during both events in the book. Sort of neat to read something that I also got to experience for myself first hand.

Do some qualifiers and come out next year for FP120.

Top Bottom