Going Long and Hard.

so, wait, you don't carry a chain tool? oh the humanity...

Good Luck Jim. I am proud to watch your dot on my screen.

so, wait, you don't carry a chain tool? oh the humanity...

Good Luck Jim. I am proud to watch your dot on my screen.

There's a funny story here. I have a chaintool built into the fork of my S-Works and I'm so used to riding that bike that I don't carry anything on the XTC. However, in the last 3 rides, my son broke his chain twice and I broke my chain once. No chain tool.

Reactions: w_b
Chain tool is one of those tools that you rarely use, but is really handy to have when you need it. Of course, along with the quick-link. I just snapped a chain last week. I was back riding within 5-10 minutes. Most of that time was spent finding the quick-link in the frame bag.

20170103_202209.jpg

Fire!!!!!!!!!! Last day playing with this before race time.

The MSR WhisperLite seems like the shazizzle based on what I've read. Simple, compact, light and stable. I assume your picture was when you were priming it, right? You got a wind screen of some sort?

i assume you have some flexibility in where you choose to perform the boil. maybe scout a spot off trail between or even under a pine tree. this should help block wind, and if you happen to ignite the whole tree then thats just a bonus for eveyone.

The MSR WhisperLite seems like the shazizzle based on what I've read. Simple, compact, light and stable. I assume your picture was when you were priming it, right? You got a wind screen of some sort?

Yeah. It makes a huge fire and then calms down after a minute or so. I have a windscreen but don't plan on bringing it. I can just dig a hole in the snow to get it out of the wind.

i assume you have some flexibility in where you choose to perform the boil. maybe scout a spot off trail between or even under a pine tree. this should help block wind, and if you happen to ignite the whole tree then thats just a bonus for eveyone.

There's a spot you have to do it across the trail from CP1. I don't recall what was there, but there's at least 200 billion pine trees in the area.

Just in case I don't get a chance to post it, here's the Trackleaders Link.

http://trackleaders.com/fatpursuit17

Race Start is Friday 5pm MST. My goal is to be finished before Sunday @5pm. There's technically no cut-off time for the finish but you need to be through CP3 by Sunday @6pm. An optimistic goal would be to hit CP2 before Saturday @5pm. Of course with a good snowfall this can all change by days as you all know...

As long as you the take the advice you were given about not pushing too hard out of the box and take the time to bivy early, you'll do great. Cuz you know after the mad scramble to get there, assemble the bike and do a frantic last minute equipment check; you're gonna be as wired as an 80's yuppie at a all night coke rave.

Be safe, be smart, and don't freeze your dangley bits off.

I was being generous with the smart part. ;)

Back
Top Bottom