Going Long and Hard.

More dicking around with gear setup. The never ending battle.

20161218_124256.jpg

Doubled up on the clamps for the harness. Because better safe than sorry. Setup is dumb light as it is so no biggie.

20161218_125137.jpg

20161218_125155.jpg

Used the free straps on the harness to relocate my Nalgene to the bars. If it works this will free up the downtube mount to run a 5th bottle. If conditions are as slow as they were for the 60k this weekend, the first leg to CP1 will be a MONSTER. I plan on actually running the stove for this race and more than likely will Bivy somewhere in the first 80 miles.

Biggest lesson from last year is to not go as hard to CP1. Everyone that was in front of me at that point except Neil DNF'd.

tinfoil is the same concept except its basically free

It was -25 degrees during the 60k Fat Pursuit this weekend. At that point white gas is all that will burn but I'm not investing and testing a new setup this close to the race. The MSR shield has a floor as well so hopefully it will work. I've gotten stories from both sides.

Spent some time today custom making some strap extenders for my harness. With an extra bag rolled up in there it's a little too fat. Will get the rest of the setup finalized throughout the week, but should be similar to past races.

20161219_210352.jpg

It was -25 degrees during the 60k Fat Pursuit this weekend. At that point white gas is all that will burn but I'm not investing and testing a new setup this close to the race. The MSR shield has a floor as well so hopefully it will work. I've gotten stories from both sides.

I was going to ask if a multifuel stove burning white gas is heavier or bulkier than an iso butane stove, but it looks like it is a moot point at this time. MSR shield sounds like good to bring for sure.

as far as mechanical things that can go wrong, last year was a good lesson that pack rigging can be a tough problem to fix on the trail and and it looks like you got that well covered by doubling up on the brackets. Next in line I assume would be a flat. Last night while riding I was thinking how awful it would be to have to stop and fix one. Not sure how well it would work, but I keep easily accessible several short (2") lengths of rope, clothesline type with the idea that if the hole it too big for the sealant, I can just stuff them in and the fibers will conform and fill the gap. What do you carry to address the flat tire scenario?

If I get a flat I'm crawling up in a ball and crying myself to death.

If I survive that I carry standard flat fixing things. Actual fat tube, patches, and a big bore pump. Realistically conditions are soft enough that you could just ride the flat tire and probably not even notice it. On Saturday I rode out to 6-Mile with a flat and didn't notice until I was in Bound Brook.

Back
Top Bottom