Going Long and Hard.

huffster

upload_2016-12-9_16-3-39.png

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
IMG_20161209_101524.jpg

Excited that it was at least a little chilly during today's ride. Not cold, but chilly. Enough to put pants on when I walked the dog this morning.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I have a question; how do you keep yourself mentally in the game during these long races? Training is one thing, but during the actual race where you are freaking suffering like a dead dog, minus survival and not wanting to die, what keeps you going?

Steve Vai

I have a question; how do you keep yourself mentally in the game during these long races? Training is one thing, but during the actual race where you are freaking suffering like a dead dog, minus survival and not wanting to die, what keeps you going?

These races are hard to explain, even to fellow cyclists. You go so far beyond your limits and comfort level it's very scary. Overcoming that fear has a reward that's hard to express. I mean, you can actually die. For real. Not dying is a pretty damn good motivator.

Steve Vai

I don't remember seeing this video. Good stuff! Was surprised by the lack of helmets. What if a moose tries to bite their head while sleeping?

Very few people wear helmets during these. I do just because I'm used to it and feel weird without one.

Steve Vai

I actually like NJ terrain wise. I've learned how to get off the beaten path pretty well over the years. I like the diversity of being able to ride so many different terrains even during a single ride. I do however have a hard time dealing with people when I come back from a trip. Especially where I'm located. And living here costs a Billion dollars to live in a shack with a Billion other people. But at least the Internet is putting all the local shops out of business, so I should be unemployed and living in a log cabin in Alaska soon enough. Wait, I went off track a little.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@ktmrider and I were just talking about the faith of LBS. It's such a shame that brick and mortor do not have the same advantages as the interweb. I would so much rather build a relationship face to face then to hit that buy now button. Let's face it times have changed and not just in the bike industry. I hate that we are left to use Home Depot's because they shut down ma and pop hardware stores. HD seems more interested in selling you Christmas trees then proper reliable hardware.

Last edited:

Mumonkan

The amount of money ive saved by building a friendship with the guys at my LBS is amazing. I used to write them off when i first started because they didnt have sw8 fixay shit then i grew up and realized its because that shit is stupid.

Now i have friends i can race with that give me a job during the summer and get me stuff at dealer price. I probably saved about 4 grand this year by putting money into local business. Most people just want "it" now, noone plays the long game anymore

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
@ktmrider and I were just talking about the faith of LBS. It's such a shame that brick and mortor do not have the same advantages as the interweb. I would so much rather build a relationship face to face then to hit that buy now button. Let's face it times have changed and not just in the bike industry.
I don't want to have this buried in Jims thread, it's a huge worm hole and I always supported the brick and motor. When I was looking for a Shimano XT 11 speed RD and not one shop in New Jersey had one in store that I could pick up (regardless of cost as I was in a complete jam), it's hard to blindly be supportive. when none of the shops could support me with the inventory. Everyone had to order one... just like I would have :(

Mumonkan

Make yourself a windscreen out of tinfoil and your water will boil in like 2 mins

IMG_0115.jpg

(Not my pic, this person sucks, but you get the idea i think)

Just take a chunk off the roll, and make it wrap all the way around with enough room to get to the gas knob

For storage just roll it up like a doobie

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Make yourself a windscreen out of tinfoil and your water will boil in like 2 mins

IMG_0115.jpg

(Not my pic, this person sucks, but you get the idea i think)

Just take a chunk off the roll, and make it wrap all the way around with enough room to get to the gas knob

For storage just roll it up like a doobie
That look like tin serving try flattened out. Def more rigid then roll foil.

Steve Vai

I ordered the MSR one. Will be here Monday so I'll get a week of testing before the bike goes in a box to get shipped.

Top Bottom