Gas powered bikes?

Wood take bof- those are some nice projects. That Norton would be something to see.

This guy is a character - originally from CA. 67 yrs old and has a young Thai wife and 3 year old who drives him nuts - which is why he spends so much time in the garage tinkering!

I had a job interview this morning. Have not had the Old Ducati out for a while, so I got the bike out to blow out the winter cobwebs.

You always hear that some mechanical things have a soul. I believe this to be true. Some bikes are just fun tools bur other are a lot more.

If you want a bike with a cool factor and soul, get something Italian with carburetors and a dry clutch.

I cheat on my wife every time I ride this bike.

IMG_20200405_161159617.jpg

@olegbabich desmo valves. You do the adjustment yourself or take it to the shop?

I want a scrambler badly, but I like to do my own work, and honestly, desmo freaks me out when it comes to valve adjustment. Have never opened up a desmo engine. Not sure if I would want to learn on my own bike. That, and the fact that the L twin is perched in such a way that the top cylinder sits in the seat so it has been known to burn ones fancy parts. But 80+HP and big low end torque on a 400 lb bike might be worth that.

@olegbabich desmo valves. You do the adjustment yourself or take it to the shop?

I do 100% of all the maintenance for all the bikes at home.

I send out rear shocks for rebuilds because of nitrogen charge. KTM gets suspension rebuild every year, I do the forks at home.

Dual Sport Bike shock mostly gets rebuild at home with an air charge from MTB suspension pump - good enough.

I even like to wrestle with a wheel for 30 min when installing a new tire.

Doing Valve Service is a chore, but it gets done.

2 bikes are Screw and Lock adjustment. 1 is V-Twin with Shim Under Bucket and 1 Ducati Desmodromic. I also have one 2 stroke so no valve service there.

Screw and Lock Valves are easy, just find TDC and you are good.

Buckets are a pain in the ass as you have to remove Cams and on my Suzuki the Rear Cam Chain Tensioner is blocked by ABS Module.

Desmo Valves are a challenge and I have to go to my Zen place when doing them.

There are many instruction manuals and online videos to help me out, and the Ducati Mechanics make it look easy.

While most of the bikes have a range for valve clearance, Ducati wants as close to 0 as possible, without being too tight. That is 0 clearance for Opening and Closing Shims. You have to sand the shims while taking them on and off to get 0 clearance. Oh and there are Collets which are very small and are made for hands of a 5 yrs old child. Oh and you have to remove the Cam Belts when doing Valves and the reinstall them and reset the Cam Timing. Oh and you have to buy some basic proprietary tools to work on Ducati.

I have a 2V Desmo, which makes it quicker (usually 2 days, as I have to walk away so I do not pick up a hammer to use as a tool) I know 4V Engine would take me longer.

I do Valve service 1/ year on Ducati and all is good.

2V Ducati can be found for not a lot of $$$, but they are old bikes. My 900 Super Sport CR is 25 years old.

Super Sports and Monsters have a comfortable riding position and I take many longer day trips on this bike.

On other hand many say that Ducati Panigale is the best 20 min bike, because of the racing seating position. (you also have to pay $23000+ for Panigale, my 900SS was $2300 in good running condition)

Everybody who loves Motorcycles should have an Older Exotic Sports Bike with a Soul. Italians made such bikes.

I send out rear shocks for rebuilds because of nitrogen charge. KTM gets suspension rebuild every year, I do the forks at home.

Dual Sport Bike shock mostly gets rebuild at home with an air charge from MTB suspension pump - good enough.

2 bikes are Screw and Lock adjustment. 1 is V-Twin with Shim Under Bucket and 1 Ducati Desmodromic. I also have one 2 stroke so no valve service there.

Buckets are a pain in the ass as you have to remove Cams and on my Suzuki the Rear Cam Chain Tensioner is blocked by ABS Module.

There are many instruction manuals and online videos to help me out, and the Ducati Mechanics make it look easy.

While most of the bikes have a range for valve clearance, Ducati wants as close to 0 as possible, without being too tight. That is 0 clearance for Opening and Closing Shims. You have to sand the shims while taking them on and off to get 0 clearance. Oh and there are Collets which are very small and are made for hands of a 5 yrs old child. Oh and you have to remove the Cam Belts when doing Valves and the reinstall them and reset the Cam Timing. Oh and you have to buy some basic proprietary tools to work on Ducati.

I have a 2V Desmo, which makes it quicker (usually 2 days, as I have to walk away so I do not pick up a hammer to use as a tool) I know 4V Engine would take me longer.

2V Ducati can be found for not a lot of $$$, but they are old bikes. My 900 Super Sport CR is 25 years old.

Super Sports and Monsters have a comfortable riding position and I take many longer day trips on this bike.

On other hand many say that Ducati Panigale is the best 20 min bike, because of the racing seating position. (you also have to pay $23000+ for Panigale, my 900SS was $2300 in good running condition)

Everybody who loves Motorcycles should have an Older Exotic Sports Bike with a Soul. Italians made such bikes.

This is fantastic. I love my old Hondas. Have had old dirt bikes and CB 350s, CB360s, and one CM185. Valve adjustment is cake.

I am going to buy my first modern bike soon. There are so many I’m considering. From the Ninja 400 for something light and fast, to the Triumph Street Twin, to the Kawasaki W800 (Cafe). Maybe the Ducati Scrambler, but I don’t want to roast chestnuts on an open cylinder. Many great deals to be had, but I do my own work too, and I want it to be easy.

Shin under bucket I can deal with, but one bike, Royal Enfield Interceptor, has screw and lock, so it’s high on my list. A 650 parallel Twin with a 270 degree firing order, air cooled and ABS by Byrne (Bembro’s cheap line). But it’s a RE, and their quality scares me. The newer twins were designed by Triumph’s ex-lead, I just worry about the assembly. On the other hand, the W800 has bevel drive (no can chain!). Absolutely gorgeous 800cc parallel Twin with a 360 firing order. Little vibration from those pistons moving in unison, but you get that feedback of what the engine is doing. Air cooled, so there is less to break, and simple shocks. It’s a modern vintage in the true vintage sense, except no leaks, and ABS. Don’t love the fairing on it, but clubman bars and one of the best seats out there for comfort could make an excellent cruiser for a morning ride.

That vintage Ducati must be a blast to ride. Something about the older bikes. They absolutely have soul.

This is fantastic. I love my old Hondas. Have had old dirt bikes and CB 350s, CB360s, and one CM185. Valve adjustment is cake.

I am going to buy my first modern bike soon. There are so many I’m considering. From the Ninja 400 for something light and fast, to the Triumph Street Twin, to the Kawasaki W800 (Cafe). Maybe the Ducati Scrambler, but I don’t want to roast chestnuts on an open cylinder. Many great deals to be had, but I do my own work too, and I want it to be easy.

Sooo Many Bikes, so little $$$, time and space in the garage:thumbsup:

Look up Evan a Solid Performance in PA for KTM suspension service.

Last week I crashed my Trials bike. I'm fine and so is the bike.

I was riding the local boulder field and bike started leaking fuel from carb after the impact. The impact got the carb float and / or needle all messed up.

Took the carb apart and reassembled, all is good now.

I'm looking forward to going back to work (unemployment has not paid a dime in 8 weeks) but I'm able to ride a lot.

KTM is almost ready for a new rear tire.

Ride Safe :)

Back
Top Bottom