Gas powered bikes?

I strongly considered this bike before i bought my z900. What kinda range you getting on that?

I don’t ride like a total lunatic so I’m getting about 60-65 mpg, with a 3.7 gallon tank. I only go out for an hour or two so I haven’t tested the range yet. If I ride a little more spirited mpg is about 55-60, but that’s pretty aggressive and not my “normal“ way of riding.

I couldn’t go any longer w/o a woods bike. Stepped down to a 250. Plenty of bike for me. View attachment 140103View attachment 140104
I'm looking at this - do you know old bikes and 2 stroke lore? Wouldn't object to a second set of eyes if you have time and inclination to join me when I go to check it out...

Aside, I want to connect and hear where you ride, because New Jersey.

I'm looking at this - do you know old bikes and 2 stroke lore? Wouldn't object to a second set of eyes if you have time and inclination to join me when I go to check it out...

Aside, I want to connect and hear where you ride, because New Jersey.

that thing will run for 100 years.

So i did this yesterday. When I bought the z900 I couldn't decide on a slip on. As I was cruising through one of the forums I'm on, I grabbed a used M4 slip on at a great bargain. I had visions of doing a full Akrapovic or SC Racing system, but thats in the $1600 range. Found M4 headers on sale so I grabbed them. Here is the result.

Attachments

• 20201031_190411.jpg
    20201031_190411.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201101_075333_HDR.jpg
    20201101_075333_HDR.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 8
So i did this yesterday. When I bought the z900 I couldn't decide on a slip on. As I was cruising through one of the forums I'm on, I grabbed a used M4 slip on at a great bargain. I had visions of doing a full Akrapovic or SC Racing system, but thats in the $1600 range. Found M4 headers on sale so I grabbed them. Here is the result.
Did you have to do any re-tuning with the new headers?

Did you have to do any re-tuning with the new headers?
From the research I've been doing, its definitely recommended, but not necessary (as per the main manufacturers). I didnt do a tune, but my warranty is up Feb 1, so I'm either going to do a power commander or equivalent, or have the ecu flashed. The flashing being the cheaper of the 2 yet has more control over certain parameters. A PC will make the bike run correctly for the mods, but a reflash controls all of that, plus engine braking, when the fan kicks on, etc

From the research I've been doing, its definitely recommended, but not necessary (as per the main manufacturers). I didnt do a tune, but my warranty is up Feb 1, so I'm either going to do a power commander or equivalent, or have the ecu flashed. The flashing being the cheaper of the 2 yet has more control over certain parameters. A PC will make the bike run correctly for the mods, but a reflash controls all of that, plus engine braking, when the fan kicks on, etc
Yeah I would do a ecu flash. I’m debating an Akrapovic. I like my stock set up because I don’t wake anyone up, but wouldn’t mind a little more bite. My bike is whisper quiet.

Holy smokes this thing is a disaster. Drained the oil (if that’s what you call it in the state it’s in) and pulled the carbs. Can’t get the carb linkage apart, so will need to source one at some point. There was this yellowish powder crap (maybe saw dust?) in the carbs about a half inch deep - it trailed all the way into the cylinder. Have a feeling I will be buying new pistons/rings. Throttle won’t come out on one carb, throttle at the handlebar won’t come off either. Most nuts are pure rust and/or seized. The electrical harness looks likes it’s been tampered with. Air boxes are gone so will need some cone filters at a minimum. So far, $100 for the bike, and $150 on order from Common Motor.

AF173B0F-8E30-4418-9CC8-E0B7D13F21F7.jpeg36122791-91F9-44E3-8785-0CF38A1066F2.jpeg9CF30422-5231-4BE8-BA26-782F58D15F7D.jpeg0C496C1D-027A-45D2-8B0A-EB935A96524E.jpeg

Figured out the yellow crap. Left over detergents from ancient remnants of gasoline. At least it wasn’t a mud wasp living in there. Disappeared with a little solvent.

So last weekend when visiting my mom, I brought cash up to buy a dirt bike to leave up there for when I visit. Seems like the covid tax that hit bicycles hit dirt bikes too, everything seemed overpriced. I saw one KTM that was ok and plated, but seller had no info on maintenance and it sounded like the valves had never been inspected (250 xcf with 3000 miles). Plated wasn’t the biggest deal but would open up possibility to take down the barrens in the future. Bike would be OHV registered in Massachusetts.

I’ve also floated the idea of a trials bike, as slow technical riding would be most of what I’d do. This also looks pretty fun:

In the end though, I think it would just take away from my already limited mtb time.

Back
Top Bottom