Garmin has been hacked

Here's an idea, throw your little devices in the junk drawer, then go for a ride and tell us about your ride. Money says not much of a difference unless your Raymond Babbit :)
I never actually bought an 830, despite my plans. I just trigger a couple GPS apps and stash my phone in my frame bag. I hope this major failure will force Garmin to invest in their technology and hopefully bring their software/hardware into 2020.

Yeah as an IT person it’s something pretty common in terms of cyber crime but not usually at this level.

happens more than you think this one is just much more newsworthy because of the Fact it also effects pilots and navigation systems too and it also basically means the whole company is unplugged (literally ) until they figure out what they can do.

just picture all hands on deck in their big data centers running around unplugging shit.

and yes they are pretty Fucked because there are laws/rules about paying it even if they wanted to.

Yeah as an IT person it’s something pretty common in terms of cyber crime but not usually at this level.

happens more than you think this one is just much more newsworthy because of the Fact it also effects pilots and navigation systems too and it also basically means the whole company is unplugged (literally ) until they figure out what they can do.

just picture all hands on deck in their big data centers running around unplugging shit.

and yes they are pretty Fucked because there are laws/rules about paying it even if they wanted to.

Just to put in in perspective - my garmin aviation subscription is $480/yr - garmin takes public data, creates a proprietary format,
and a proprietary download system to load the data cards monthly - the data is married to the unit, so it can't be shared.
To use my garmin unit for primary navigation, I must have this data.
It does not include a weather overlay - that is extra (there is some weather available with the right hardware)
garmin head units start around $8,000. (mine is a legacy model from 20 years ago - and it is hitting end-of-life)

An ipad can not be used for primary instrument navigation, but it can be used for situational awareness. It has weather, color moving map,
can be easily updated, and uses the same public data. $100/yr including app updates. It does replace all paper charts (legally) - and
they would easily cost more than the subscription.

Garmin has to do a better job - from an aviation perspective, they are rolling in the dough.

$10 million in ransom:

MTB $88,000
Runners $212,000
Kayakers $700,000
Golfers $1,000,000
Roadies $2,000,000
Triathletes $6,000,000

All have paid, evidently, cuz my Garmin 100 uploaded at 9am today.

Just to put in in perspective - my garmin aviation subscription is $480/yr - garmin takes public data, creates a proprietary format,
and a proprietary download system to load the data cards monthly - the data is married to the unit, so it can't be shared.
To use my garmin unit for primary navigation, I must have this data.
It does not include a weather overlay - that is extra (there is some weather available with the right hardware)
garmin head units start around $8,000. (mine is a legacy model from 20 years ago - and it is hitting end-of-life)

An ipad can not be used for primary instrument navigation, but it can be used for situational awareness. It has weather, color moving map,
can be easily updated, and uses the same public data. $100/yr including app updates. It does replace all paper charts (legally) - and
they would easily cost more than the subscription.

Garmin has to do a better job - from an aviation perspective, they are rolling in the dough.

$350 usb port for the ipad

$350 usb port for the ipad

that is because it is panel mounted! and is exactly what i'm talking about.

I have a dual one that plugs into the cigarette lighter (plane is from 1977 - it has ash trays.)
$5. but if it starts on fire......

all of my rides sync'd from my Garmin to app/phone but still have message that there is an outage. just happy I don't have to use my school chromebook to get data for the 31/31 challenge.

Garmin’s official “I’m Sorry” post

Did they pay the ransom?

1595938744173.png

Back
Top Bottom