Garmin has been hacked

iman29

Im sure some of you must have had some issues syncing rides today or seen the maintenance notice from Garmin. Once I saw this I figured they got hacked.

Plan on going back to old school and connecting devices to your computer to upload after a ride.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i was wondering what was taking so long with their "maintenance"

wound up just grabbing the file off my watch and uploading it manually to strava. (no bluetooth on that watch. sad face)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i was wondering what was taking so long with their "maintenance"

wound up just grabbing the file off my watch and uploading it manually to strava. (no bluetooth on that watch. sad face)

This is nerd-worthy.

I could use some help with the site errors.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hindsight's only 2020
giphy.gif

Patrick

Staff member
yeah I am in IT but not the web techie developer coder type.

this is a shared environment sql/cache issue (i think)
i'm trying to install a trigger to create an audit trail - and find out where the rogue time numbers are being inserted/updated.

the database is isolated from the outside world (except for my ip) -
the forum supplier isn't reporting this error - so it is something local.

watch for weird shit soon - there are some debug levels i can turn on - which is going to make for interesting error messages.

Patrick

Staff member
Argh. My Garmins won't talk with my Chromebook so I guess I'm SOL until things are resolved.

i can see the files on my wahoo with the files app. Would have to manually move them, vs the gamin
auto feature on windows. plug it in and see if you can explore it (i can explore my garmin watch)

Robin

i can see the files on my wahoo with the files app. Would have to manually move them, vs the gamin
auto feature on windows. plug it in and see if you can explore it (i can explore my garmin watch)

I don't have a USB port on my Chromebook (Pixel book). I bought an adapter for the USB 2.0 port and still Chromebook doesn't recognize

Patrick

Staff member
I don't have a USB port on my Chromebook (Pixel book). I bought an adapter for the USB 2.0 port and still Chromebook doesn't recognize

they have the ports locked down - school issued?

Patrick

Staff member
No. Mine. I didn't do my homework before buying.

oh, it has usb-c ports - and you purchased a 2.0 hub?
it should work. really weird. do other devices connect (ie your phone)

iman29

oh, it has usb-c ports - and you purchased a 2.0 hub?
it should work. really weird. do other devices connect (ie your phone)
Might be something with the adapter and the speed of the USB C port that the Garmin doesn’t like. Just a guess.

Patrick

Staff member
Plugged mine in, no recognize either.

Man Pat is just breaking everything.

so garmin disabled exploring the device - same reason they don't use the cloud to avoid their systems being hijacked.

i haven't even tried to start breaking stuff yet.

iman29

so garmin disabled exploring the device - same reason they don't use the cloud to avoid their systems being hijacked.

i haven't even tried to start breaking stuff yet.
That’s odd because I have always been able to use my windows PC and navigate the device files with file explorer.

I know above we are talking about a chrome book but just saying in what scenario it works.

guess amazon orders for USB Garmin cables just increased.

Top Bottom