First ride

C

Cthulhu

So I finally got out and did the (I guess it is the main loop) loop at Tourne yesterday. Had an awesome time, wish I picked up mountain biking sooner.

Bike held up pretty well, or at least I think it did as I have nothing to compare it to. :hmmm: Off the main trail the terrain was a mixture of clear ground and frozen leaves with very loose terrain underneath, so it was slow going in some sections but i managed to stay out for a couple of hours. I'm going to try and get out again today.

D

DANSPANK

Tourne is one of the first places I rode when I moved to Jersey. I started gauging my fitness by how well I climbed the fire road clockwise to the top. On my first few rides it would be how far I got before I had to stop.

The first time I did it non-stop was a massive achievement for me. I gave myself a hi-five and had a moment at the top. Ha! those were the days.

Now that I'm an elite athlete I gauge my fitness by seeing which gear I climb it in and how many times I do it in a ride. I always do both the clockwise and anti-clockwise routes at least once to get a good lung/leg burner going.

I think it's a great place to get some hill repeat training in. Have fun there!

NJ Jess

It awaits you,...

Your new list of mountain biking achievements. It will be amazing how much you can learn on a bike. It's also such a Great Escape for "had a bad day" blues. Hope to ride with you some time.

C

Cthulhu

Tourne is one of the first places I rode when I moved to Jersey. I started gauging my fitness by how well I climbed the fire road clockwise to the top. On my first few rides it would be how far I got before I had to stop.

The first time I did it non-stop was a massive achievement for me. I gave myself a hi-five and had a moment at the top. Ha! those were the days.

Now that I'm an elite athlete I gauge my fitness by seeing which gear I climb it in and how many times I do it in a ride. I always do both the clockwise and anti-clockwise routes at least once to get a good lung/leg burner going.

I think it's a great place to get some hill repeat training in. Have fun there!

Where exactly is the fireroad? I took the singletrack (white trail) to the first intersection and hung a right. That dumped me onto the red trail, and I took that back to white trail at Brichwood Lake.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DANSPANK

Tourne is the main hill in that place. If you follow the red trail from beginning to end then it should dump you out on a tarmac road with a gravel car park just on the other side. A gravel road leads off to the 2 o'clock position and will winds its way up the hill - this is Tourne.

I typically start at the lake in Mountain lakes, there's a car park and a section of the lake set up for swimming competitions in the summer. The red trail exits the car park on the left side, kind of behind the basketball ring.

Out along the red trail, up and down Tourne a couple of times, then back along the red trail is just over 6 miles. Hope that helps!

C

Cthulhu

Tourne is the main hill in that place. If you follow the red trail from beginning to end then it should dump you out on a tarmac road with a gravel car park just on the other side. A gravel road leads off to the 2 o'clock position and will winds its way up the hill - this is Tourne.

I typically start at the lake in Mountain lakes, there's a car park and a section of the lake set up for swimming competitions in the summer. The red trail exits the car park on the left side, kind of behind the basketball ring.

Out along the red trail, up and down Tourne a couple of times, then back along the red trail is just over 6 miles. Hope that helps!

I see where you're talking about. I have this map which apparently does not have the trails labeled correctly. (as far as what is allowed). It looks like the road beginning Tourne is just opposite the soft ball field.

D

DANSPANK

But I am mega, and kill them both - middle ring, with gears to spare. Bow down to me.

D

DANSPANK

Man, you're ace. When I grow up I want to be like you.

On a side note and, unsurprisingly off-topic, you do get a hi-five for riding a fixed-gear off road.

Oh, can I get some points for doing a reverse endo on Saturday? I charged this steep slope at KVSP and my front wheel hit a stone. I stalled then started rolling backwards, I hit another stone and went backwards over the seat. I'm sure it looked good!

J-Dro

Oh, can I get some points for doing a reverse endo on Saturday? I charged this steep slope at KVSP and my front wheel hit a stone. I stalled then started rolling backwards, I hit another stone and went backwards over the seat. I'm sure it looked good!

I did that once at Chimney Rock. Thank God for Camelbacks.;)

Top Bottom