Enduro - East Coast Racing

greeek32

so I hate xc racing but I love enduros. I've done over half a dozen enduro races so far (I watched @UtahJoe ride from the bottom of mtn creek to the top, it was impressive, i walked it... and then puked). When it comes down to it, your ability to ride makes much more of a difference than the bike you ride. I run a 125mm santa cruz 5010 with a 140mm manitou mattoc on the front and it's absolutely fine for 90% of stuff for me, but it's also orange. I get beaten by guys on full XC race bikes and I beat guys on $9k enduro-specific dream bikes and vice versa.

I don't win races and I certainly don't try to. I go out with only the intention of having a good time and I race casually (heroically uncompetitive is how i like to describe myself). I generally finish dead middle of the field. For me, it is not worth either hurting myself (i've done enough time in the ER for my lifetime and I have enough metal strapped to my bones to remind me) or ruining my bike just to come in a few places ahead. I also generally enter the last stage like 5 minutes before the cut-off. The way I figure it, I paid for the race and I'm gonna get my money's worth and have fun, why not take my time. Oh almost forgot, I'm not in good shape and I don't train or anything and these races are still fun for me.

So all that being said, this is what enduro races are like for me, the most casual of racers: Enduro races are a full day long and a full day hanging out with friends and riding bikes. Generally everyone is supportive and the stoke is high; everyone cheers each other on constantly and you can hear it from all over. When I finish a stage, my friends are there waiting for me and I wait for them. We laugh and talk about the different lines, who crashed, and where we think we made up time. We ride casually during the transfer stages and stop to have some food when we feel like it. I look forward to all of these races because they are so much fun. Oh, and there's usually ice pops at some point in the race.

Now a bit about the races. Every race I've been in has some sort of a prize incentive for finishing one of the transfer stages the fastest (for some reason they seem to like to give away dropper posts). Depending on the race you enter you may have to do more or less climbing during a timed stage. @a.s. I think you would like the Round Top Enduro up by windham, ny or the Steel City enduro out in Bethlehem, PA. They are both much more "trail" style enduros where the timed stages have more climbing than the bike park enduros like mountain creek which in a lot of ways feels like a bunch of mini DH races. Steel City and Round Top are enduros set on the type of trails that most of us ride when we go out for a mountain bike ride.

Round Top is my favorite race by far. They have totally dope trails with lots of short punchy climbs and really fun tight downhills all set in a german resort town (you ride and race through multiple different properties of different resorts). The people are super friendly and your entrance fee goes directly to support the trail system there (same with steel city). you can pretty much ride it on any bike you have and you'll have a good time. I even get excited to do the pre-ride of the course.

If you have any questions or if there's a race you're looking at going to and want some company, let me know. I'll probably go.

BrianGT3

Enduros are like a car rally, they're timed stages. Time in, pedal hard, go fast, time out. Different organizations have different methods of logging times. I did a full season in '15 of ESC and triple crown races. A few events in '14. Both orgs utilize the wrist chips now for timing.

I've only been doing bike park enduros, which have primarily been downhill. I think 140 to 160mm travel is perfect. You could get by with less, but the gnarly couses would get rough. Despite them being downhill, fitness it critical. Not only for the races, but mainly for running practice runs at speed. A race run is 2 to 5 min in zone 4/5. Typical race weekend i'll total 25 to 35 miles in practice runs and race.

Count on all day saturday being figuring out the 4 to 5 stages on a course. Takes me 2 full runs. Pre riding is essential! Sunday is one shot @ each stage at full tilt. Its a wknd affair. If you have a dh backround, fitness, ride a lot of different/new trails, you'll do well. One major component worked to develop over the year was to read terrain on the fly.

Hardest part is a clean run with no mistakes!

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
If you have a dh backround, fitness, ride a lot of different/new trails, you'll do well.
  • Check
  • Check
  • Check
Now if only I could convince my wife to let me have a whole weekend where I can go practice and race. o_O Enduro racing would have been right up my alley 20 years ago. :cool:

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Round Top is my favorite race by far.

I have nothing to add about Enduro racing, but I did more or less follow the GPX file for one of the Round Top races when I was up there this fall. It was kind of hard to follow in spots, but the trails were super fun. There was also an outdoor beer garden at the German resort that I started from (Riedlbaur?). If you are going to go up there to ride or race, you should spend a night up there and hit up Elm Ridge in Windham the day before or after. Super dope flowy trails.

Last edited:

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
  • Check
  • Check
  • Check
Now if only I could convince my wife to let me have a whole weekend where I can go practice and race. o_O Enduro racing would have been right up my alley 20 years ago. :cool:
Do you have kids? I assume not because if you did, you would have better time management skills. :)

greeek32

the idea that you need to preride twice (or even once) is really only if you plan on trying really hard to place well. if you don't care how you do you can just show up and race. i like to preride but that is mainly because the areas that put on these races usually showcase their best trails for the race and because they are mapped out I don't have to spend all day trying to find those trails.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Do you have kids? I assume not because if you did, you would have better time management skills. :)
Two, 6 yr old and 3 yr old.
Also own my own business in Manhattan and work an average 60 hours per week.

If I wasn't sitting here at home recovering from a total knee replacement I'd find humor in your comment. But I am. And it sucks. And right now it's probably the stupidest f$&#ing statement I've ever read.

I need a nap. :thumbsdown:

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Two, 6 yr old and 3 yr old.
Also own my own business in Manhattan and work an average 60 hours per week.

If I wasn't sitting here at home recovering from a total knee replacement I'd find humor in your comment. But I am. And it sucks. And right now it's probably the stupidest f$&#ing statement I've ever read.

I need a nap. :thumbsdown:

Sorry to hear. Competitive cycling isn't for everyone.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Sorry to hear. Competitive cycling isn't for everyone.
Yea, I guess you're right...

IMAG0508.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Sorry Man. I didn’t mean to come across like a dick. But LOL… 1998 was a long, long, looooong time ago.

And barely finishing bearscat is an accomplishment, but it isnt being competitive. Trying to finish in the top is being competitive.

My point was that you can just show up and do the enduro and be done. It really doesn’t need to be an all weekend thing…. unless you’re trying to be competitive.

Sorry to hear about your knee. Hope you heal up quick.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Sorry Man. I didn’t mean to come across like a dick. But LOL… 1998 was a long, long, looooong time ago.

And barely finishing bearscat is an accomplishment, but it isnt being competitive. Trying to finish in the top is being competitive

Okay now you're going to force me to climb up in the attic to dig up my old, ooool, oooooold trophies. Just because someone didn't finish a race in the top 3, or even the top 1/2 of the field doesn't make them any less competitive. There's a commitment to training and a level of discipline that comes with entering and finishing a race. That there defines competition. Talent and a whole bunch of other factors (including finding the time to train) are what contribute to ones success.

Thank you for getting me off the couch. This rant has inspired me to ramp up my rehab so I can get back on the bike and someday (maybe) whoop your ass in a race. ;):D

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I suggest a.s. get some new tights and jerseys, preferably with all kinds of sponsor and shop logos, so you can look competitive, like the cool kids.

DanBrodeen

Pretty sure @PortlandRider was killing it on a 120 mm giant anthem 29er.

Its truly a run what ya brung format.
Yeah, it's definitely that. You don't need to buy a specific bike to get into enduro. Most courses are made to be rideable on any mountain bike. Of course one type will be faster than another. I've ridden a 80mm HT 29, 100mm FS 29, and a 120mm FS 29 in enduros. My favorite by far is the 120mm Trance 29 with 140mm fork. I believe once you get into the much longer travel (160mm+)you are going to lose more time on the climbs than you'd make up on the DH. On certain courses like Blue Mountain bikes like the Nomad are money. I was definitely under biked at their Oktoberfest Super D.
I'll be on a Knolly Endorphin this season. Riding for their Knolly Knation Grassroots team. Looking forward to the 27.5" wheels and lively ride that Knolly is known for!

Top Bottom