• I have ridden one in a trail for over an hr and I am considering one

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never give up my analog bike but I’ll still get an ebike

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Did he just say analog bike?

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • My knees are failing and an ebike in inevitable

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • My next bike will certainly be an ebike.

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never own an ebike, even when I’m 90

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Ebikes cause more trail damage than analog bikes

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Ebikes have no more trail impact than a traditional bike.

Votes: 63 26.5%
  • I hate anyone on an ebike

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Anyone on a bike is a friend of mine, ebike or not

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • I’ve been seeing ebikes in the woods regularly

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I’ve never seen an ebike on the trail

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • It's called an Acoustic bike

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • “I may consider one after my body is all used up and broken"

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • I already own an off-road Ebike

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I have no interest in an e-bike

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Arguing against ebikes is kerfuffle

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I like Matty no matter what he rides

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters
For those of you who ride an Ebike, do you see yourself going back to a non-ebike at any time aside from parks which may not allow them?
I know this is a personal preference and in some cases there are medical reasons (knees, joints, etc) that make an ebike the best way to get outside.
I am wondering if at this point in my life, money would be better spent on an ebike vs an newer non-ebike to get me out more often.
I ride my analog bike just as much, if not more. For me.. the emtb is just a tool to get me more laps. The analog bike comes out when it's time to have fun. Just IMO.

But I'm not the target demographic for an emtb - I have no physical ailments and I am relatively young. Granted I might have some mental illness but nothing that would justify an emtb. 🤣

Last edited:
Not that I don't trust Specialized to use a good quality battery, but if my bike caused my house to burn down, my wife would be really pissed. So it's out out of the house regardless of the temperature.
BTW, as far as I know fire hazard only happens when the battery is being charged, correct me if I'm wrong. I only charge mine in the garage, not in the house.

I had knee issues that had me not riding like i would. After having ebike for about a month, i decided to hop on my pedal bike, other then the shock of no assist my knee proceeded to blow up like a pumpkin after the ride. I havent touched it since last March, thats not to say i wont give it another go. Honestly i dont miss it because as Tony says, i am having way more fun and the assist is just enough to not bother my knee. I doubt highly that i will ever buy another pedal bike. Just know the next ebike you buy will be outdated when you walk out the door 🤣
What's considered outdated at the point? Is it mostly battery life or have the mid drives gotten better?

What's considered outdated at the point? Is it mostly battery life or have the mid drives gotten better?
Seems to me like weights will keep coming down (to a point) and there will be a split not unlike XC vs Enduro of regular bikes. Already is sort of but with TQ motor Vs others with greater output. Do you want a little or a lot and how will the tech evolve. Evolution of tech will balance with sales. Not to be overlooked is how maintainable and upgradeable vs disposable do these things become.....TBD I guess.

Like cars these are coming with more things that are smart controlled. Suspension, brakes and coming soon automatic shifting. Adding usb ports, intergrating gps and lighting. Motors are going to become smaller and i believe standard at some point. Motors will hopefully be user friendly. These are just to name a few.
As fatrout says weight right now is rage, and 750wh batteries are getting smaller and lighter.

Ebikes are here to stay. If you don’t like them, don’t buy or ride them.
Being in the bike industry and riding bikes, I was always intrigued by the thought of ebikes being available to keep me going when I’m old and feeble, but after demoing one for a few months I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ve been missing out. For me at this point, I haven’t been riding as much as I used to and when I do get out on an analog bike with people that ride more frequently, I become “that guy” and that just adds anxiety to my ride.
The few months that I rode the ebike I was able to ride further, longer and added the fun factor into climbing all the climbs, jumping stuff going up?!!! C’mon!
They’re not for everyone, obviously, but for me it seems like an easier progression into getting out more and enjoying more expansive enjoyable riding than to try and cram a few of sub-par, frustrating rides into the little bit of time I actually have to ride.
Whatever works I guess.

… unless you’re riding a throttle ebike. you can go bang your mom then.

Seems to me like weights will keep coming down (to a point) and there will be a split not unlike XC vs Enduro of regular bikes. Already is sort of but with TQ motor Vs others with greater output. Do you want a little or a lot and how will the tech evolve. Evolution of tech will balance with sales. Not to be overlooked is how maintainable and upgradeable vs disposable do these things become.....TBD I guess.

We'll hit a crossroads pretty soon. Trail bike weights go up every year and E-Bike weights are coming down. A Stumpy EVO and LevoSL are almost at that intersection.

Like cars these are coming with more things that are smart controlled. Suspension, brakes and coming soon automatic shifting. Adding usb ports, intergrating gps and lighting. Motors are going to become smaller and i believe standard at some point. Motors will hopefully be user friendly. These are just to name a few.
As fatrout says weight right now is rage, and 750wh batteries are getting smaller and lighter.

Having more service options for motors will be huge. That's something that's really holding the segment back. I'm allowed to rebuild out of Warranty Brose Motors but that's it. If you have a non-warranty failure on a newer motor you're spending coin on a new motor instead of something like a basic 15 minute belt swap.

Ebikes are here to stay. If you don’t like them, don’t buy or ride them.
Being in the bike industry and riding bikes, I was always intrigued by the thought of ebikes being available to keep me going when I’m old and feeble, but after demoing one for a few months I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ve been missing out. For me at this point, I haven’t been riding as much as I used to and when I do get out on an analog bike with people that ride more frequently, I become “that guy” and that just adds anxiety to my ride.
The few months that I rode the ebike I was able to ride further, longer and added the fun factor into climbing all the climbs, jumping stuff going up?!!! C’mon!
They’re not for everyone, obviously, but for me it seems like an easier progression into getting out more and enjoying more expansive enjoyable riding than to try and cram a few of sub-par, frustrating rides into the little bit of time I actually have to ride.
Whatever works I guess.

… unless you’re riding a throttle ebike. you can go bang your mom then.
When I haven’t been riding as much and I’m out of shape (like now), I cramp, bleed, and suffer until I’m no longer that guy. Whatever happened to that?

When I haven’t been riding as much and I’m out of shape (like now), I cramp, bleed, and suffer until I’m no longer that guy. Whatever happened to that?
That’s cool for you bro! Go on with your bad self… me, I’m 53 with a time and physically demanding job. The little bits of time that I do have don’t allow me to “try” and get back into the shape I used to be in.
Tomorrow is never promised, I just want to enjoy getting out and riding again while I still have time and make every ride a good one.
I suffer enough with my regular day to day life, I don’t need to be suffering when I could be enjoying, you dig?

Nothing happened to that. If you still want that it's still there for you but not everyone wants that or can have that. Be grateful you're still able to have that. I'm knocking on 59's door and fortunately I'm still able to roll Amish but I'm not going to pretend I can do that for as long as I want to. I have an ebike too and I can enjoy both versions of the sport.

Last edited:
Without hub motors or over complicating the cranks, is there any regenerative braking on e-bikes now or on the horizon?

Wow.. tough guy gets the cookie!

1678062032490.png

Without hub motors or over complicating the cranks, is there any regenerative braking on e-bikes now or on the horizon?
I had an idea to shift the bike out of gear and pedal downhill to regen for uphill. Think of all the wasted energy pedalling downhill against the wind. You could have a lightweight battery with a few minutes of juice. Boost uphill, pedal downhill to charge then boost again.

That’s cool for you bro! Go on with your bad self… me, I’m 53 with a time and physically demanding job. The little bits of time that I do have don’t allow me to “try” and get back into the shape I used to be in.
Tomorrow is never promised, I just want to enjoy getting out and riding again while I still have time and make every ride a good one.
I suffer enough with my regular day to day life, I don’t need to be suffering when I could be enjoying, you dig?
Sorry, I just can’t wrap my head around your rationale. Riding is one of those end result is greater than sum of the parts things. For me the suffering and fitness thing is a key part of it. Remove that and I’m riding my motorcycle.

Sorry, I just can’t wrap my head around your rationale. Riding is one of those end result is greater than sum of the parts things. For me the suffering and fitness thing is a key part of it. Remove that and I’m riding my motorcycle.
It’s cool, I get where you’re coming from. For me I get to cover waaaay more ground, I’m still hitting all the good stuff which is quite the workout, the bike is really only assisting me on steep climbs which I’m totally cool with.
I get a pretty good workout at work everyday so the fitness part isn’t at the top of my bike riding funtime. 👍👍

Back
Top Bottom