• I have ridden one in a trail for over an hr and I am considering one

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never give up my analog bike but I’ll still get an ebike

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Did he just say analog bike?

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • My knees are failing and an ebike in inevitable

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • My next bike will certainly be an ebike.

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never own an ebike, even when I’m 90

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Ebikes cause more trail damage than analog bikes

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Ebikes have no more trail impact than a traditional bike.

Votes: 63 26.5%
  • I hate anyone on an ebike

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Anyone on a bike is a friend of mine, ebike or not

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • I’ve been seeing ebikes in the woods regularly

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I’ve never seen an ebike on the trail

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • It's called an Acoustic bike

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • “I may consider one after my body is all used up and broken"

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • I already own an off-road Ebike

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I have no interest in an e-bike

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Arguing against ebikes is kerfuffle

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I like Matty no matter what he rides

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters
After a couple of rides on my eMTB here are my brief thoughts and observations (some I suspected but now confirmed). Yup, it is fun. Getting assistance going up a hill or obstacle is obviously great and is the main purpose of the motor. You pick a line, point your bike, pedal and up you go. You still have to work for that climb though not as hard depending what mode or assist level you're in but you're still pedaling and keeping your cadence up so your heart is still pumping but your legs aren't as sore. That's where the advantage of having a motor assisting you ends from what I can see and for me that is all that I expect. It doesn't replace your riding skills (braking, leaning, turning, jumping, hopping, etc.). Just because you can go up a hill faster doesn't mean you'll be able to go down a hill or negotiate around berms any faster. In addition you have to deal with a heavier bike than what you're used to so in some situations it may even slow you down. A motor will allow you to ride longer (2 laps around your favorite trail instead of just once) because your legs still feel good but the rest of your body is still taking the same amount of beating. Your arms, back, hands, and ass don't get any relief from the motor. A 20-mile ride on an ebike will feel like a 20-mile ride on a regular mountain bike everywhere on your body but your legs. As for those who claim ebike will erode the trails more due to excessive weight and speed, I don't see how that is true. If weight is the issue then are they suggesting heavier people or Clydesdales aren't allowed to ride? Total weight of me on my analogue bike is around 230 pounds. On my ebike that bumps me up to 240. That's lighter than many riders on their analogue bikes. If speed is the issue then what I said before goes against that theory. You may go up a hill faster but you're not all of a sudden bombing down the trails any faster. If you weren't bombing down the trails on your analogue bike before you're not going to on an ebike. Even going up hill you're not going to be rooster tailing up the hill. Without traction you're not going anywhere and that's not fun. So although you're not getting the same level of workout as you did on your analogue bike, on an ebike you're still getting a workout, you're still getting your heart pumping and breathing heavy but you're having more fun doing it. So... does anyone have a list of parks in NJ where it is legal to ride an ebike? I know this is barely enforced if at all but I'm just curious.

I know this is barely enforced if at all

I think it's more accurate to say that it's completely un-enforceable. If you turn the motor off, then your e-bike is just a bike. Even if someone was in the woods trying to catch you (they aren't), how are they gonna prove you have the pedal assist turned on? Just say it was off and that you only use it on the road to get to the trails.

Where are they not legal? Or are we looking at a strict interpretation of the "no motorized vehicles" statement?

I see e-bikes pretty much every time I ride on dirt. The first time was a few years ago while riding at French Creek in PA.

So far the only place I know where they are (apparently) explicitly forbidden is at Kingdom Trails in VT. And in the last newsletter there was a statement they are going to be working with the landowners to change that.

I think it's more accurate to say that it's completely un-enforceable. If you turn the motor off, then your e-bike is just a bike. Even if someone was in the woods trying to catch you (they aren't), how are they gonna prove you have the pedal assist turned on? Just say it was off and that you only use it on the road to get to the trails.
I believe this to be true and most people don't care which is why I went ahead and got one anyway. I'm just tired of the 1 or 2 people I know who are using the "law" as a reason to give grief to ebike riders just because they personally don't like them. Actually unless you look closely you can't even tell that mine is an ebike. I ran into Jeff Lenosky on the trails yesterday and he didn't even know I was riding an ebike until he asked me where I got my bike and took a closer look. Of course he and his buddy Lance don't have an issue with ebikes either. Their attitude was like ride what you want, it's all good.

E-growth

Sunday we rode the Columbia trail out of High Bridge, so Russ wouldn’t kill himself on his first ride on the new Specialized Levo SL. We rode up past the Coffee Potter and into the ST on the right past the new housing tract covering 24.8 miles.

I was very happy with it, because he pushed me to put out much more power than usual, especially when he rode in turbo (highest assist) mode. I timed my attack for that last five miles of the 2:28 ride, when his battery was getting low and he was afraid to turbo. His bike made it back to the parking lot with one bar left on the battery indicator.

What I noticed the most was the number of ebikes we saw. Of maybe 200 bikes at least 10% were ebikes of various types. He thought that there were 20% ebikes, but we didn’t count. This compares to virtually none a year ago. It was quite a surprise.

All of them were less expensive than Russ’ 41.8 lbs. Mercedes. Quite a few were the 20” fatbike type. One of them had underlighting, which prolly looks great at night. There were several middle age couples with matching ewhips. Many of the ebikers were with analog riders, as well. Not many of the ebikers were going very fast.

Below is the eBlue Heron we saw in the Ken Lockwood Gorge:

RUSS BLUE PXL_20211003_142440920-01.jpg

I support this message.

Ask them if they ever drive 66 mph on Route 80.
I wonder if those people ever break the other park rules, or even know what they are? da partial list:
7:2-2.11 Conduct
(a) A person shall not engage in conduct or use language which disrupts, interferes with, is unduly annoying to or prevents the enjoyment or maintenance of State Park Service lands or waters by other visitors or State Park Service personnel.
(b) A person shall not harass livestock, wildlife, or animals lawfully allowed on State Park Service property.
(c) A person shall not use or operate any noise producing machine, vehicle, device, or instrument in a manner that in the judgment of the Superintendent or designee, or designated law enforcement personnel, is disturbing to other park visitors, campers or employees. In camping and overnight facilities, the hours of 10:00 P.M. to 6:00 A.M. are designated "quiet hours."
(d) A person shall not block, obstruct or interfere with vehicular or pedestrian traffic on any road, parking area, trail, walkway, pathway, or common area.
(e) A person shall not occupy or interfere with access to any structure, office, lavatory, or other facility in a manner which interferes with the intended use or maintenance of such structure or facility by visitors or employees.
(f) A person shall not use a public address system on State Park Service property without the permission of the Superintendent or designee.
(g) A person shall not smoke, smoking is prohibited by posted regulations.
(h) A person shall not use threatening, abusive, boisterous, or insulting language or use indecent gestures towards another person on State Park Service property.
(i) A person shall not play a radio, television, stereophonic systems, musical instrument or other noise producing device in areas posted as "quiet zones."
(j) A person shall not play any audio device including radios, televisions, stereophonic systems or musical instruments when audible beyond their immediate vicinity to the annoyance of others. Consideration shall be given to the nature and purpose of the actor's conduct, impact on others, location and any other factor which would govern the actions of a reasonably prudent person under the circumstances.
(k) A person shall not throw stones, breakable articles or other missiles which might endanger others.
(l) A person shall not spit on walks, sidewalks, paths and structures of any type.
(m) A person shall not loiter in or about any comfort station or other public structure.
(n) A person shall not engage in fighting or other violent conduct which would threaten the well-being and tranquility of the public or State Park Service employees.
(o) A person shall not enter or remain in any State Park Service area between the daily closing and opening time as posted, authorized use excepted.
7:2-2.14 Changing clothes; nudity
(a) All persons on State Park Service property shall be clothed sufficiently to conform with current commonly accepted standards of dress or recreational wearing apparel.
(b) A person shall not change clothes or disrobe except in the privacy of authorized changing areas, bathhouses, dressing rooms or such other facilities or private areas specifically designated for such purpose.
(c) A person shall not be nude in public on State Park Service property except in the privacy of designated changing areas, bathhouses, dressing rooms or such other private facilities and personal areas specifically designed or designated to allow this activity incidental to washing, showering, changing clothing or personal care.
7:2-2.19 Indecency; immorality; profanity
(a) Indecent exposure by any male or female of their genitals, pubic regions, buttocks or the female breast(s) where they may be seen by others is prohibited.
(b) Urinating or defecating in any area other than places designated for such purposes is prohibited.
(c) Addressing, soliciting or attempting to make the acquaintance of another person for immoral or indecent purposes is prohibited.
(d) The use of profanity and indecent language within hearing of another person or persons is prohibited.
7:2-2.25 Bicycles
A person shall not practice any tricks or fancy riding on a State Park Service roadway.
When used at night or during periods of low visibility, a bicycle shall emit lights

I break this one all the time:

7:2-2.19 Indecency; immorality; profanity
(b) Urinating or defecating in any area other than places designated for such purposes is prohibited
I thought it would be this one.
(h) A person shall not use threatening, abusive, boisterous, or insulting language or use indecent gestures towards another person on State Park Service property.

Plenty of people talking themselves into this. All new opportunities for people to screw themselves into the ground. With a possible closing rate of 40mph instead of 24 it should be interesting when the lawsuits start flying. I probably will not be around to see it. The position of the park superintendent is "no". I may take up hunting (and by the logic here on sunday), I need an excuse to get some guns.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom