• I have ridden one in a trail for over an hr and I am considering one

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never give up my analog bike but I’ll still get an ebike

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Did he just say analog bike?

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • My knees are failing and an ebike in inevitable

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • My next bike will certainly be an ebike.

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never own an ebike, even when I’m 90

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Ebikes cause more trail damage than analog bikes

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Ebikes have no more trail impact than a traditional bike.

Votes: 63 26.5%
  • I hate anyone on an ebike

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Anyone on a bike is a friend of mine, ebike or not

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • I’ve been seeing ebikes in the woods regularly

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I’ve never seen an ebike on the trail

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • It's called an Acoustic bike

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • “I may consider one after my body is all used up and broken"

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • I already own an off-road Ebike

Votes: 29 12.2%
  • I have no interest in an e-bike

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Arguing against ebikes is kerfuffle

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I like Matty no matter what he rides

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters

thegock

I wonder if there are shops in the city that actually work on these when they have electrical problems. I know I alway pass on those requests.

Somebody is fixing them. The food delivery guys can't afford to chuck them.

BTCH NWIP PXL_20210508_142329999.MP-01.jpg

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've built about a dozen of those RadPower fat things. They are absolutely terrifying to ride. 28mph with a brake designed for a beach cruiser. Even with the brake dragging the whole time they will barely slow down, yet alone actually stop.

@UtahJoe and I ran into an older couple riding these things on some old woods roads up north of Splitrock earlier this year. We chatted with them and then they headed out, and we drove past them on the road, and they were barely able to even maintain a straight line. I can't imagine them riding those things in the woods.

sundaydoug

I've built about a dozen of those RadPower fat things. They are absolutely terrifying to ride. 28mph with a brake designed for a beach cruiser. Even with the brake dragging the whole time they will barely slow down, yet alone actually stop.
Can confirm. A friend of mine bought a pair of 20" fat tire folding ebikes which I offered to help him work on. One of the bikes has mechanical disc brakes with 160mm rotors. Even properly adjusted I could barely slow myself down, and I'm only like 150lbs. And there are thousands of these things out there, mostly in the hands of people that bought them from the internet. Pretty scary.

I got some TRP HY/RD calipers installed and those helped big-time.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Come on RadPower are the "good" ones. The truly generic one's are the REALLY scary ones.

Reactions: don

EJphotos

I've thought about putting 4 piston calipers on my ebike converted bike. In the mean time I had upgraded to 180mm rotors which seemed to help a bit slowing down from higher speeds.
I'm probably going to convert that bike back to analog though, because I never use it anymore lol.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Come on RadPower are the "good" ones. The truly generic one's are the REALLY scary ones.

That 70's dirtbike looking one that's popular. Sweet Jesus. We started charging $50 labor to change a flat and they need to bring in the tube. We still get 2 or 3 a week.

Reactions: don

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
That 70's dirtbike looking one that's popular. Sweet Jesus. We started charging $50 labor to change a flat and they need to bring in the tube. We still get 2 or 3 a week.
I've been charging $50 labor on all the ebikes and no one seems to bat an eye. They're all a pain in the ass.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I've been charging $50 labor on all the ebikes and no one seems to bat an eye. They're all a pain in the ass.

Pedal assist ones are normal price. Like a Levo or whatever. Anything that takes only 1 person to put it in the stand. Once it gets 2 or more people involved $50!!

Unrelated. I'm gonna start changing like $100 a wheel for Cushcore. Takes more time than building a wheel from scratch.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Jim is so spot-on here. These and most of what people are buying online are absolute death sleds, not to be ridden off-road. If nothing else, a bike that weighs 30lbs more than the huffy you bought in 1999 should have better brakes. Some scary stuff passing for safe these days from the direct to consumer companies.

Cassinonorth

Jim is so spot-on here. These and most of what people are buying online are absolute death sleds, not to be ridden off-road. If nothing else, a bike that weighs 30lbs more than the huffy you bought in 1999 should have better brakes. Some scary stuff passing for safe these days from the direct to consumer companies.

Customer told me that they weren't braking as well and making some screeching sounds....80 lb bike 3 months old. Was terrified to even put it on my hitch rack to get it home.

prhgetqj8fe71.jpg

Top Bottom