• I have ridden one in a trail for over an hr and I am considering one

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never give up my analog bike but I’ll still get an ebike

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Did he just say analog bike?

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • My knees are failing and an ebike in inevitable

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • My next bike will certainly be an ebike.

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never own an ebike, even when I’m 90

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Ebikes cause more trail damage than analog bikes

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Ebikes have no more trail impact than a traditional bike.

Votes: 63 26.5%
  • I hate anyone on an ebike

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Anyone on a bike is a friend of mine, ebike or not

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • I’ve been seeing ebikes in the woods regularly

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I’ve never seen an ebike on the trail

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • It's called an Acoustic bike

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • “I may consider one after my body is all used up and broken"

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • I already own an off-road Ebike

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I have no interest in an e-bike

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Arguing against ebikes is kerfuffle

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I like Matty no matter what he rides

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters
Yeah, this is my bike I just recently converted using a Bafang BBS02 kit. It is 750 watts (with a peak of 1200-1300 watts depending on battery setup). Super simple to do on this bike, because it has a 68mm bottom bracket width and didn't need any spacers. The motor doesn't hang too far down so there is still plenty of clearance. Biggest hurdle is mounting the battery. This is a 48 volt 12.8 amp hour battery so it's on the smaller "shark" style side, but still didn't have enough room inside the triangle to mount on the downtube. I might try flipping the shock upside down and seeing if it gives any more clearance and try to mount the battery inside the triangle.
This has 9 levels of power assist - I usually use it on assist level 4 to get a range of about 30 miles on a full charge. Usually a 16 mph average.
It can go up to 31 mph on level 9, but that eats up the battery way too quick, and I wouldn't want to go that fast on this type of bike for an extended length anyway. It has achieved the commuter purpose I built it for. Looking at custom battery options to give more amp hours for longer range though.
Rear luggage rack for battery?

There will always be good, challenging shit for the less scrupulous to ride. Let me know when this happens and I'll show you some.
We ride the same trails at Wildcat, Fugawe, Splitrock, and Wayway you and I. There are some places we’ll likely not even see other people, never mind e-bikes.
Scroll through these two threads to see who's buying E MTB's.

Leave it to the shop guy to bring up the “facts”. This is literally the exact same line I hear in just about every shop I’ve walked into in NJ. Usually it comes after the “you can get more laps in a given amount of time” or “you can go farther in a given amount of time”. Then they try to sell me a gravel bike, because I need that instead of my “race” bike too.

We ride the same trails at Wildcat, Fugawe, Splitrock, and Wayway you and I. There are some places we’ll likely not even see other people, never mind e-bikes.

I think our trails are safe from the hordes of e-bikers that are going to sanitize all of the mountain bike trails to make them more e-bike friendly, so who cares?

Also, you should ride bikes with me. Unless you like going fast and don't like waiting, then you probably shouldn't.

Leave it to the shop guy to bring up the “facts”. This is literally the exact same line I hear in just about every shop I’ve walked into in NJ. Usually it comes after the “you can get more laps in a given amount of time” or “you can go farther in a given amount of time”. Then they try to sell me a gravel bike, because I need that instead of my “race” bike too.

I know it may come as a surprise to you, but stores are generally there to sell things to people. I hope you don't walk into the supermarket and lose your composure when they're trying to sell you Pringles on sale, or blueberries. Why you would walk into a bike shop and not expect them to sell you something bike-related is hard to understand, at least a little bit.

But more than that, what point does that text above serve? If you don't want tacos, don't walk into a taco store.

I have never once in my life been pushed to buy an eBike. And I'm fat & old. If anyone walks into a shop screaming, "This guy needs an eBike," it's me. Maybe you need to go to a new shop?

And I'm fat & old. If anyone walks into a shop screaming, "This guy needs an eBike," it's me. Maybe you need to go to a new shop?
Oh come on, you’re neither! But yes, it’s not like you’re mandated to buy anything that is being suggested to you. I do not spend much time on bike shops but I’ve never been pushed to buy anything, also I don’t really give them much of a chance, I walk in, ask for what I need and proceed to pay or leave empty handed. If possible, I check inventory before hand to avoid unnecessary waste of gas/time. But I digress...

Here is something to consider. Prior Sales drive future design work and R&D.

Based on sales #'s it may not be far fetched to see many brands diminishing their investments in new analog bike designs and devoting more energy/$ in ebike design.

Note the new brakes, suspension and tires that are specifically designed for ebikes. I saw a few saddles come into stock this week that say "ebike ready".

We in the east coast are off the back on ebike sales, but we are likely to quickly catch up. I speak weekly to a good friend in CA who owns 2, MTB only bike shops. They have gone from an ebike sale per month, to multiple per day within the last 2 seasons.

Our #1 phone call we get for high dollar mtbs is for the Orbea Rise. This is telling.

Our #1 phone call we get for high dollar mtbs is for the Orbea Rise. This is telling.
Marketing. Funny how that works eh. ;)

After 30 + years of riding I’m starting to teeter on that fine line of whether this is fun anymore. Not having the time to train and a broken body that aches for 3 days after each ride is weighing on me. I think it was @Ian F who said something about losing the desire to train to be able to do epic rides. This pretty much sums up it up for me right now.

I see my buddies on Strava doing 20 miles trail rides and 60 mile road rides every other day. I’m lucky to get out once a week for 4 hours. Even then I’m rushing to get home so I can pick up my kids from camp or take them to the pool or go walk the dog, or I’m rushing to get into the city for work… there’s no freaking down time. But this shit is necessary if I want to feel good when I go out on the next bike ride.

Its the reason I’ve taken up DH again- carry me to the top and let me just flow down. I get that rush without the pain and suffering. And it’s the same reason I see an eBike in my future.

Please, for a sport that supposed to be about challenge, focus, and fitness, promoting laziness is not the "winds of change". Its the "winds of a business" looking for a way to drive new sales.
Random thought. Your a purest as to riding but your avatar is a cartoon character that is on steroids. Ebikes can be seen as cheating, but isn’t steroids? Not knocking it though as Stewie is one of my favorite Family Guy characters. I just can’t help but hear Stewie’s voice in my head when reading your posts😜.

After 30 + years of riding I’m starting to teeter on that fine line of whether this is fun anymore. Not having the time to train and a broken body that aches for 3 days after each ride is weighing on me. I think it was @Ian F who said something about losing the desire to train to be able to do epic rides. This pretty much sums up it up for me right now.

I see my buddies on Strava doing 20 miles trail rides and 60 mile road rides every other day. I’m lucky to get out once a week for 4 hours. Even then I’m rushing to get home so I can pick up my kids from camp or take them to the pool or go walk the dog, or I’m rushing to get into the city for work… there’s no freaking down time. But this shit is necessary if I want to feel good when I go out on the next bike ride.

Its the reason I’ve taken up DH again- carry me to the top and let me just flow down. I get that rush without the pain and suffering. And it’s the same reason I see an eBike in my future.
I think it’s more than marketing honestly. All the reviews are good and it’s the lightest of the ebikes on the market or near so. It also has geo that nearly the same as their well liked Occam. It has a smaller battery and a pretty light output drive unit. I think this bike really appeals to riders who want to hang with faster friends or overcome physical limitations. (Or simple lack of time to ride/fitness)

I constantly hear that ebikes are cheating, but this is mostly from people who don’t have real experiences on them. My view is that if it gets you off the couch and if it requires you to pedal the entire time than the more the merrier. Ebikes are a great way to provide Long durations of moderate heart rate. This is well proven to build cardiovascular health. (This means you can build fitness on an ebike).

I support 20mph speed caps. I discourage the use of throttle only e-motorcycles on dedicated mtb trails.

My prediction is that 1 in five bikes sold will be an ebike within ten years. By then you will be challenged to tell them apart from a distance anyway.

this rise would easily go unnoticed as an ebike among a group of mtbs.
1626526932827.png

these guys do great write ups:

Here you go @a.s. weren't you frothy for Norco

Best quote was from Pro DH Jill Kitner I kinda feel guilty passing guys up the climbs but I'm doing 6 laps to their 1. And this is where I always have been set in my mind. Nj doesn't qualify but someday I won't be living in NJ and hopefully I will live where the climbs are long and the downhills are even longer ✌

I think it’s more than marketing honestly. All the reviews are good and it’s the lightest of the ebikes on the market or near so. It also has geo that nearly the same as their well liked Occam. It has a smaller battery and a pretty light output drive unit. I think this bike really appeals to riders who want to hang with faster friends or overcome physical limitations. (Or simple lack of time to ride/fitness)

I constantly hear that ebikes are cheating, but this is mostly from people who don’t have real experiences on them. My view is that if it gets you off the couch and if it requires you to pedal the entire time than the more the merrier. Ebikes are a great way to provide Long durations of moderate heart rate. This is well proven to build cardiovascular health. (This means you can build fitness on an ebike).

I support 20mph speed caps. I discourage the use of throttle only e-motorcycles on dedicated mtb trails.

My prediction is that 1 in five bikes sold will be an ebike within ten years. By then you will be challenged to tell them apart from a distance anyway.

this rise would easily go unnoticed as an ebike among a group of mtbs.
View attachment 162603

these guys do great write ups:

now if Orbea would just stick to their promised delivery dates. But I get it.....

well said

Here is something to consider. Prior Sales drive future design work and R&D.

Based on sales #'s it may not be far fetched to see many brands diminishing their investments in new analog bike designs and devoting more energy/$ in ebike design.

Note the new brakes, suspension and tires that are specifically designed for ebikes. I saw a few saddles come into stock this week that say "ebike ready".

We in the east coast are off the back on ebike sales, but we are likely to quickly catch up. I speak weekly to a good friend in CA who owns 2, MTB only bike shops. They have gone from an ebike sale per month, to multiple per day within the last 2 seasons.

I know Yamaha was mentioned earlier in this thread but it was for a road bike. I saw some of the Yamaha e-MTB stuff that I didn't know about while researching UTVs last night. Monkey Soup brings up bike shops giving e-mtb "facts" as a hard sell but I bet that will be nothing compared to what happens when companies like Kawasaki, Honda, Polaris get in on it too.

I could see Yamaha thinking: well the auto industry is obviously changing to electric, California is continuing to come down hard on emissions (https://www.carscoops.com/2021/07/c...ing-cars-for-unapproved-ecu-tunes-on-july-19/) and it's only a matter of time before moto and atv gets hit so we might as well throw a little into this market now. Land access folks are a lot easier to deal with than the EPA plus they are bicycles so a way easier sell to them than dirt bikes.

https://www.yamahabicycles.com/bikes/ydx-moro-pro/ (anyone else notice Brian Lopes making their bikes look fun?)

This is what I was saying to Kirt today. If you don't look for them, you don't notice them. If you sit at KT and look bike by bike, you notice. But if you're not looking they're really not apparent. In a few years there will be no noticeable difference. I imagine more the case with road eBikes.

We did that MTBNJ/JORBA survey and 74.9% of the people who replied are 40+. The VMBA survey they shared with us - 70% were 40+ (this is a slight projection as their demographics split was 36-45). My point is that 1-in-5 may be sooner than 10 years.

I don't have the park numbers but I suspect there is a reason downhill parks are opening up more and more in New England. Because like @a.s. says, he wants someone to bring him up and he can roll down. eBikes are almost exactly the same thing.

Because like @a.s. says, he wants someone to bring him up and he can roll down. eBikes are almost exactly the same thing.
Whoa whoa whoa! Slow down there Norm. You're going to have @Monkey Soup all over my @ass with a comment like that. I don't need no one carrying me up hill. (not yet) I just need a little help is all. A little EPO in my water bottle.
:p

Reactions: don

Hey, I'm just quoting you.

I think if you're on an e-bike it's e-poh.

Back
Top Bottom