• I have ridden one in a trail for over an hr and I am considering one

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never give up my analog bike but I’ll still get an ebike

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Did he just say analog bike?

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • My knees are failing and an ebike in inevitable

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • My next bike will certainly be an ebike.

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never own an ebike, even when I’m 90

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Ebikes cause more trail damage than analog bikes

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Ebikes have no more trail impact than a traditional bike.

Votes: 63 26.5%
  • I hate anyone on an ebike

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Anyone on a bike is a friend of mine, ebike or not

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • I’ve been seeing ebikes in the woods regularly

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I’ve never seen an ebike on the trail

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • It's called an Acoustic bike

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • “I may consider one after my body is all used up and broken"

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • I already own an off-road Ebike

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I have no interest in an e-bike

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Arguing against ebikes is kerfuffle

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I like Matty no matter what he rides

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters
I think it depends a few factors. One of my long time mtn biking friends recently bought an e-bike. She has been wanting one for a couple of years now, "when I turn 60, I'm getting an e-bike!!" and she turned 60 in June. She has really bad knees and long climbs have been excruciating for her. Now she can ride trails she has avoided for a number of years now.

Just realized that only one guy I ride with has an e-bike. He rides with a large, hard core crew, is about 50 years old and has a bad back. The ebike lets him keep up with the boys. He asked me if I wanted to ride it, but I demurred.

Most of the e-bikes that I see are ridden by rich kids around town on the sidewalk.

Three weeks ago, I rode with a guy who I have ridden with for a decade. About an hour into the ride he said to me that he was glad I hadn't gotten an e-bike. I kind of felt like he was calling me old, but I still felt warm and fuzzy inside.

However it’s yet to be seen if people who currently are riders and may have been riding for 20 30 40 years, will they buy an ebike one day? Will be a long time be for we know those number and will probably be on hover bikes by then.

I definitely see myself on one. I’m the Stowe guy above. But it’s an interesting point as nobody we know owns one. Maybe it’s because the seal hasn’t been broken. Or maybe because it’s NJ and we hate everything. I won’t be living in this state when that time comes for me.

I won’t be living in this state when that time comes for me.
Funny you mention that - after two of my friends moved from the DC suburbs of MD out to Montana a couple of years ago, they bought e-bikes (Treks). The rides out there are epic, but so are the climbs. Having e-bikes allows them to do longer rides as they are past their desire to do "training" for rides like that.

Funny you mention that - after two of my friends moved from the DC suburbs of MD out to Montana a couple of years ago, they bought e-bikes (Treks). The rides out there are epic, but so are the climbs. Having e-bikes allows them to do longer rides as they are past their desire to do "training" for rides like that.

I suspect that your friends and myself follow similar thought processes. I’m getting older and when the kids are grown I’ll move out of state. But I want to be outside a lot. And as you get older you can still train, for sure, but at what cost? A really hard ride now takes much longer to recover from. On that note I can see an eBike for the road as well.

Still some years away but as that time comes closer these are the realities we see in the future.

63 now and finding that my lower back is a more limiting factor to riding than my legs - especially evident in these longer stretches of riding every day for multiple weeks. Would an ebike make much difference in that regard? For me, it appears that bouncing around aggravates it the most - maybe a hover bike is the answer... :shrug:

Will be a long time be for we know those number and will probably be on hover bikes by then.
Then the quadtards, moto , dual sport, horses , hikers, MTBers AND Ebikers will all be mad at the hover bikers claiming they are THEIR trails.... LOL - Those winds of change are funny and fickle.

** Forgot to add the hunters

Last edited:
1626438817699.png

Still not faster than a road bike. You won't see this on any trails either (except the rail trail).

For those of us thinking we may get one as we get older, that Orbea is a step in the right direction. Can we get +50w (average, peak at 100?) for 3hrs down to +5lbs?

OTOH, if I just keep riding with the same crew, we'll all get slower together. :)

Look at the bright side... With E-bikes , more people will have bigger saws and trail maintenance will be a breeze. Those downed trees won't have a chance.

My brother just got a Big Easy cargo bike. He commutes on it, including the school run, and loves it. I'd love to do the same, but my commute roads are not ideal (that would be 36 miles a day though).

I definitely see myself on one. I’m the Stowe guy above. But it’s an interesting point as nobody we know owns one. Maybe it’s because the seal hasn’t been broken. Or maybe because it’s NJ and we hate everything. I won’t be living in this state when that time comes for me.
Stowe is about to bend on the e-bike thing, they're opening a portion of Sterling Valley to assess impact, I got it all straight from the horses mouth. The rationale is inclusivity. To include the 0.1% of people who ride e-bikes out of necessity, although if you ride out of necessity I don't see how you would ride some of the harder lines up here with bad knees/back, etc. There is a large group of folks up here who go on FOG (Fast Old Guys/Gals) rides. Some of them are well into their 70's. There is also a core group up here who ride some challenging lines that are out of network and not VMBA endorsed. The local Stowe-Trails folks are not happy about that (I've been admonished several times for going-with), but that's what happens when people crave more challenging lines with less tourist traffic. I called the "horse" out on the inclusivity thing, and there was a lot wavering on that point. The fact is there's a lot of e-MTB traffic on the trails already (mostly Cady Hill, out of towners) and most of the shops are already stocking high-end e-MTB's getting ready for when that seal breaks. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out up here since this a place where most of the locals are very fit, into the outdoors, and there is a very high percentage of what would be considered senior citizens riding hard. This is also a place where a good percentage of the locals don't buy ski passes and skin their way to the top of the hill. The population has also doubled since COVID, and most of the new folks are likely the e-bike target audience.

View attachment 162511

Still not faster than a road bike. You won't see this on any trails either (except the rail trail).
Do you have any info on this setup? I am trying to decide between converting an entry level MTB using a decent Bafang kit or buying an entry level e-mtb (not the $600 ones though, still something decent that doesn't cost me several grands). I guess if I could find an e-mtb for around $2K that would do. Bike would never see an actual trail, maybe some white road to and from the park, maybe Columbia trail.

Last edited:
My partner at work has 2 Trek Powerflys. We'll grab them after work and park at the dam at Splitrock. In 2 hrs we can do a ride around the res, over to Greenpond, cross the ridge and back. 24ish miles that would obliterate you without the e. It's blast covering that much territory in that short a time. In my future I can definitely see having one for that purpose. I don't have the time to get in shape for 30+ mile rides.

I have to say there are sections I can keep up or beat the e-bike on my non-e. The white between Charlottesburg and Split Rock towards Timberbrook was a race one day. I managed to hold him off. Though when I look at Strava I was on fire that day and I will likely never reproduce that effort unless I start TRT and HGH. I know the KOM for the segment was done on a Moto (only a 1:20 faster in a 11-minute stretch).

This notion of marketing to the “aging” MTB’er is complete nonsense. Just look at all the rippin edits they put out there. All young guys and sponsored riders. Pretty clear who the target audience is. Everyone I’ve seen in NJ and VT on an e-MTB has been younger. One dude was riding in flip-flops. Not would be what I consider “hard core”. I saw a woman today who had to be in her 80’s, full kit, on a Tall Boy. That was hard core. Making the climbs easier, smoother, and everything less technical is what can happen when the e-bike crew inherits the sport.

Scroll through these two threads to see who's buying E MTB's.

Do you have any info on this setup? I am trying to decide between converting an entry level MTB using a decent Bafang kit or buying an entry level e-mtb (not the $600 ones though, still something decent that doesn't cost me several grands). I guess if I could find an e-mtb for around $2K that would do. Bike would never see an actual trail, maybe some white road to and from the park, maybe Columbia trail.
Yeah, this is my bike I just recently converted using a Bafang BBS02 kit. It is 750 watts (with a peak of 1200-1300 watts depending on battery setup). Super simple to do on this bike, because it has a 68mm bottom bracket width and didn't need any spacers. The motor doesn't hang too far down so there is still plenty of clearance. Biggest hurdle is mounting the battery. This is a 48 volt 12.8 amp hour battery so it's on the smaller "shark" style side, but still didn't have enough room inside the triangle to mount on the downtube. I might try flipping the shock upside down and seeing if it gives any more clearance and try to mount the battery inside the triangle.
This has 9 levels of power assist - I usually use it on assist level 4 to get a range of about 30 miles on a full charge. Usually a 16 mph average.
It can go up to 31 mph on level 9, but that eats up the battery way too quick, and I wouldn't want to go that fast on this type of bike for an extended length anyway. It has achieved the commuter purpose I built it for. Looking at custom battery options to give more amp hours for longer range though.

Back
Top Bottom