• I have ridden one in a trail for over an hr and I am considering one

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never give up my analog bike but I’ll still get an ebike

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Did he just say analog bike?

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • My knees are failing and an ebike in inevitable

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • My next bike will certainly be an ebike.

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never own an ebike, even when I’m 90

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Ebikes cause more trail damage than analog bikes

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Ebikes have no more trail impact than a traditional bike.

Votes: 63 26.5%
  • I hate anyone on an ebike

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Anyone on a bike is a friend of mine, ebike or not

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • I’ve been seeing ebikes in the woods regularly

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I’ve never seen an ebike on the trail

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • It's called an Acoustic bike

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • “I may consider one after my body is all used up and broken"

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • I already own an off-road Ebike

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I have no interest in an e-bike

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Arguing against ebikes is kerfuffle

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I like Matty no matter what he rides

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters
Wow they are just about there. Who would know that's an ebike?? all in!
One of the interesting comments in the review was how he said it didn't feel like a pig when ridden without assist (a dead battery). A little slower, of course, but otherwise it just feels like a normal bike. I agree we are starting to get into the next generation of e-bikes. Not quite there, but damn close. When an e-bike only weighs a few lbs. more than my pimped out enduro bike (albeit with heavy-ass DH tires), I can definitely imagine my next bike in a few years having assist.

Anyway, the new Orbea Rise looks really good. Similar weight as that new fancy Specialized, yet with better range and less $$$$. Although "less" when talking e-bikes is still on the expensive side... Still... I'm thinking that within a few years, prices will continue to fall for bikes similar to this one.
A couple of friends of mind just got the Rise. Can't wait for the review.

Reactions: don
That's... interesting... some of the parts choices make me question whether or not it's actually a real bike.

Anyway, the new Orbea Rise looks really good. Similar weight as that new fancy Specialized, yet with better range and less $$$$. Although "less" when talking e-bikes is still on the expensive side... Still... I'm thinking that within a few years, prices will continue to fall for bikes similar to this one.
Of course they had to review the $10K version and not the $7K version that's more align with my budget.

A couple of friends of mind just got the Rise. Can't wait for the review.

A little more than a month? That's not bad in this climate.

Unless it's August 2022...

Here's my recent e-bike conversion. It's a Bafang motor kit on my old giant trance. 750 watt motor. Built for the purpose of commuting to work without showing up to the office as a sweaty mess. I can get about a 30 mile range averaging about 16 mph (pedal assist level 4 of 9). Top speed can hit 31 mph in highest assist level, but that eats the battery up quick. Plus, this particular bike wasn't built for speed.
This mid drive is a heck of a lot better than that hub drive I had on this. And it's much lighter.

20210710_115148.jpg

Here's my recent e-bike conversion. It's a Bafang motor kit on my old giant trance. 750 watt motor. Built for the purpose of commuting to work without showing up to the office as a sweaty mess. I can get about a 30 mile range averaging about 16 mph (pedal assist level 4 of 9). Top speed can hit 31 mph in highest assist level, but that eats the battery up quick. Plus, this particular bike wasn't built for speed.
This mid drive is a heck of a lot better than that hub drive I had on this. And it's much lighter.

View attachment 161822
How does that tire clear the battery at full compression??

View attachment 161822
Totally stealth, can’t even tell.

How does that tire clear the battery at full compression??
It doesn't. I can get about 80% compression before the tire hits the battery. For that reason I won't use this bike for any actual single-track trails. I can still finesse it off and on curbs though.

I will admit I am getting closer to making my next purchase a full on enduro ebike. Mid travel makes no sense to me. Give me 180 travel power assit and I'm off to find the longest downhills I can find on the eastern seaboard and beyond 🙂

...I'm off to find the longest downhills I can find on the eastern seaboard 🙂
I had this conversation the other day. I want to go fast uphill. Us old East Coast guys aren't going to get much faster on the downhills. And there aren't any noteworthy DH runs in this area (outside of bike parks) so why get an eBike with so much travel that weighs a ton?

I had this conversation the other day. I want to go fast uphill. Us old East Coast guys aren't going to get much faster on the downhills. And there aren't any noteworthy DH runs in this area (outside of bike parks) so why get an eBike with so much travel that weighs a ton?
Oh there is long DH runs just not much in NJ.
Think Upstate NY VT NH VA WVA NC at least in my mind to justify. Why not be able to ride a couch around here with power assist then who gives a hoot about weight. Don't rain on my crazy thinking 🤣

I won't give up my other bikes until I have to.

Couching will make E-bikes the "couch on wheels" that quadtards ride - And I am ok with that. Let the young and the purists be offended but it will get more people outdoors or keep more people outdoors as they age.
This justification is pure bullshit. Couch potatoes will stay couch potatoes, a bike that makes pedaling easier isn't going to suddenly make the "call of the forest" be heard louder. Also, we don't need more people in the woods, I think we have healthy numbers out there right now between the biking and the hiking. The age thing is BS also. When you reach the point where you're too old to pedal, its not likely going to be your the cardio that stops you. I've yet to see many Octogenarians on the MTB. I've seen them on the road bike though, so I know that many can still pedal. If you can still pedal, you don't need an e-bike.

Also, we don't need more people in the woods,
.... just stop
Every hiker in the 70s said that
Every person on a Honda 3 wheeler in the 80s said that.
Every dual sport , atv , Mountain Biker, hikers, horses,etc.etc.etc.
and now you have said it. The winds of change are blowing again... and they are bringing ebikes

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom