• I have ridden one in a trail for over an hr and I am considering one

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never give up my analog bike but I’ll still get an ebike

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Did he just say analog bike?

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • My knees are failing and an ebike in inevitable

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • My next bike will certainly be an ebike.

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never own an ebike, even when I’m 90

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Ebikes cause more trail damage than analog bikes

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Ebikes have no more trail impact than a traditional bike.

Votes: 63 26.5%
  • I hate anyone on an ebike

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Anyone on a bike is a friend of mine, ebike or not

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • I’ve been seeing ebikes in the woods regularly

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I’ve never seen an ebike on the trail

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • It's called an Acoustic bike

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • “I may consider one after my body is all used up and broken"

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • I already own an off-road Ebike

Votes: 29 12.2%
  • I have no interest in an e-bike

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Arguing against ebikes is kerfuffle

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I like Matty no matter what he rides

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters

Ian F

Are these trails actually still open to ride in the summer? I did see a picture of friends skiing there this winter and he pointed out that some of the wooden drops are still there, as his kid was skiing off one.
From the info on mtbparks, it appears the trails are not generally open. If you go to the Plattekill website, all of the mtn biking info links have been removed, although you can find some of them if you search for backdoor links. I've heard the lift runs during other events at the mtn - blues shows or something, and you can ride if you want, but I haven't really looked into it - at the moment, there are no events on the calendar. I doubt they would take the time to demolish any of the existing features.

Plattekill - Shut up and Ride: RIP.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
OK, I'm officially in the market for an eMTB. Didn't think it would happen so soon but here I am. So shop owners, what do you have (or coming soon) in medium? Budget is around $6-7K but could go a little more if there's good reason. By good I'm talking components, not fancy paint or badge. I thought I would give LBSs a shot before ordering one online.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
OK, I'm officially in the market for an eMTB. Didn't think it would happen so soon but here I am. So shop owners, what do you have (or coming soon) in medium? Budget is around $6-7K but could go a little more if there's good reason. By good I'm talking components, not fancy paint or badge. I thought I would give LBSs a shot before ordering one online.
Mountain, road or commuter?

Or one of these?

ACC87ED2-D00D-4CD2-9535-124210A6D661.jpeg

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Call me on Monday. We have options from orbea, Santa Cruz, and cannondale on hand. J

609-924-7433

Ian F

I have to admit, I was slightly envious of the e-bikes I saw riding all over the spectator areas during the DH events at Snowshoe. Being able to meander your way to the bottom and then power back up to the top has an appeal. My legs still hurt from the road climb I did on Sat after the race since I knew the lift line would be ages.

Granted... watching Peaty riding an e-bike around and then getting the lift to get back to the top seemed like double-cheating. ;-)

Reactions: don

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Granted... watching Peaty riding an e-bike around and then getting the lift to get back to the top seemed like double-cheating. ;-)
I’ll buy one of your AXS shifter/derail if you want to just to an e bike

Ian F

I’ll buy one of your AXS shifter/derail if you want to just to an e bike
Oh no... If I get an e-bike, you can be assured it'll end up heavily modified. Since I have yet to come across one spec'd the way I'd want it. I wonder when e-bike frames will be available... :confused:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Oh no... If I get an e-bike, you can be assured it'll end up heavily modified. Since I have yet to come across one spec'd the way I'd want it. I wonder when e-bike frames will be available... :confused:
Don’t count on it anytime soon. We have a good amount of ebikes on hand and on order for 22, but most brands are already talking about 2023 prebooking orders.

I’ll add that I feel that we are really near a heavy tipping point on ebikes. This won’t make some people happy, but it is what it is. A week back I built a new bridge at 6mr and since I was in a spot to easily take note of each passing rider, I easily noted that I’ve never seen as many in the woods on a single day.

By coincidence, yesterday was a rather slow day in the shop and for the first time ever we sold more ebikes than analog. Granted we sold 2 ebikes and one analog.. but it was worth noting.

I’ll say it here so maybe someone reads it. Don’t buy junk. If you are buying an ebike, it needs to be better equipped than a analog bike. The brakes, suspension and wheels take far more of a beating and you will regret it quickly if they aren’t up to par. Personally, I’d only consider Bosche or Shimano mid drive units. I’d avoid hub motors and/or hand throttle units as well. I’d avoid a hardtail in the woods as the ride particularly.. well, Hard.

I know this sounds like the bike shop guy making hard up sells, but on a truly daily basis we are seeing customers struggling with sub $3000 ebikes that are literally garbage. It’s tough explaining to someone that they’ve just spent a pretty serious amount of money on a bike that can barely stop a rider on flat ground.

The other conversation that is a constant is the divide between low powered and high powered ebikes. I’ve ridden both and I see value in both, but it’s worth noting that they don’t always play well together when power outputs and range don’t match.

Lots more to say here, but if you are not taking notice you might be surprised that in a year or so we might see as many mtbs in the woods as we see teslas on the road.

Kaleidopete

. Don’t buy junk. If you are buying an ebike, it needs to be better equipped than a analog bike. The brakes, suspension and wheels take far more of a beating and you will regret it quickly if they aren’t up to par. Personally, I’d only consider Bosche or Shimano mid drive units. I’d avoid hub motors and/or hand throttle units as well. I’d avoid a hardtail in the woods as the ride particularly.. well, Hard.
Totally agree!

Top Bottom