• I have ridden one in a trail for over an hr and I am considering one

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never give up my analog bike but I’ll still get an ebike

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Did he just say analog bike?

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • My knees are failing and an ebike in inevitable

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • My next bike will certainly be an ebike.

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never own an ebike, even when I’m 90

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Ebikes cause more trail damage than analog bikes

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Ebikes have no more trail impact than a traditional bike.

Votes: 63 26.5%
  • I hate anyone on an ebike

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Anyone on a bike is a friend of mine, ebike or not

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • I’ve been seeing ebikes in the woods regularly

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I’ve never seen an ebike on the trail

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • It's called an Acoustic bike

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • “I may consider one after my body is all used up and broken"

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • I already own an off-road Ebike

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I have no interest in an e-bike

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Arguing against ebikes is kerfuffle

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I like Matty no matter what he rides

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters
I don't get the negative comments towards ebikes but I suppose it must be only coming from those that ride single speed hardtails. I love my ebike. I'll go out for 2-3 hours and finish with an average HR for the ride in the upper 140s which isn't bad for someone that's 55 years old. I've explored areas and ridden on trails that many, including myself beforehand, didn't know existed. I have a blast every single time. I feel bad for those that can't accept that.

I don't get the negative comments towards ebikes but I suppose it must be only coming from those that ride single speed hardtails. I love my ebike. I'll go out for 2-3 hours and finish with an average HR for the ride in the upper 140s which isn't bad for someone that's 55 years old. I've explored areas and ridden on trails that many, including myself beforehand, didn't know existed. I have a blast every single time. I feel bad for those that can't accept that.
You are right. These are the future. As someone who rides dirtbikes, these are nothing like my KTM. They are mtbs on steroids. They aren't cheating. Ask Mark Weir.

I was chatting with a friend yesterday morning at the Huber Locust Point lot when someone cruised by. Friend: "Do you know that guy? You wouldn't think it just looking at him but he's fast AF!" "That's an e-bike" "That makes me feel a little better".

Who compares e-bike to KTM? It is a moped - used to ride a moped when I was between 10 and 16 years old. Probably I will try e-bike after 70...
They’re the “future” according to industry shills. Fact is they’ve stretched the geometry and wheel size chicklet to the moon, and bikes are just made too well these days to justify a new one every year, so what’s left to pimp as the next big thing? Look at the responses here, most won’t get one until they’re too old for their regular bikes or have a disability. If you’re healthy and want one, it’s your prerogative, because I don’t think the “hardcore” and healthy rider (most of us) is going to really entertain one until we’re old and used up. Even then, I’m still going to try to pedal under my own power.

Look at the responses here, most won’t get one until they’re too old for their regular bikes or have a disability

I don’t think the “hardcore” and healthy rider (most of us)

I'm with you on not being interested in riding one personally, but I don't think we're the target audience. I also think that the "hardcore" and healthy riders are a very small percentage of mountain bikers. If cost wasn't a factor, I think the majority of "mountain bikers" would be riding them. These bikes are going to get better and cheaper and will quite possibly overtake regular bikes at some point. Fortunately, IDGAF what bikes other people ride.

They’re the “future” according to industry shills. Fact is they’ve stretched the geometry and wheel size chicklet to the moon, and bikes are just made too well these days to justify a new one every year, so what’s left to pimp as the next big thing? Look at the responses here, most won’t get one until they’re too old for their regular bikes or have a disability. If you’re healthy and want one, it’s your prerogative, because I don’t think the “hardcore” and healthy rider (most of us) is going to really entertain one until we’re old and used up. Even then, I’m still going to try to pedal under my own power.
Did you listen to the 5 minutes of the podcast I linked to? Those guys are using e-bikes to get deeper into their extensive trail networks by using ebikes instead of shuttling closer lines. They also mentioned it's more social when riding with friends as you can talk while pedaling. Another point was them comparing e-bikes to dirt bikes. Not all people can ride dirt bikes but everyone that can mtb can ride an e-bike. BTW - they word it way better than I did so still worth listening to it.

Also Kazimer from PB said he rides an e-mtb a couple times a week in this weeks PB Podcast. I know he has to test them but he says the E-bike is the thing to grab when he wants to get a full ride in with little time or has already done a ride or skied in the morning and just wants a less strenuous workout for the legs.

There was mention on a Mtn Creek thread talking about big lift lines and most people riding the same Dominion loop over and over. I feel that stuff like that an e-bike would be perfect even if you are hardcore and healthy. Actually Mtn Creek making an area like Neko Mullally's place in NC where you can ebike back up to downhill flow trails would be a good move - no addition lifts to run and less people waiting in down at the base.

I'm with you on not being interested in riding one personally, but I don't think we're the target audience. I also think that the "hardcore" and healthy riders are a very small percentage of mountain bikers. If cost wasn't a factor, I think the majority of "mountain bikers" would be riding them. These bikes are going to get better and cheaper and will quite possibly overtake regular bikes at some point. Fortunately, IDGAF what bikes other people ride.
Who is the target audience then? Most people who've gotten into riding within the last 5-years have done so before the aggressive marketing of e-bikes. Is it to get in shape, get outdoors, master a skill? And why is also it so important for the sport to be more "mainstream"? For me, I got into this to both get in shape and earn the reward and satisfaction of trying to master something that was difficult (still trying to this day). Mountain biking to me is niche like trail running, free-diving, martial arts, rock-climbing (which a lot of riders I know also do), and fly fishing. These are all individual sports where mastery comes from practicing a specific set of skills and also overcoming a lot of the barriers that are in your own mind. All of these sports also require the mastery of some unique skills, in a unique place, and a very determined mindset. If you remove one of the required skillsets, is it sill the same? Does removing a barrier to something really improve the sport, or even the health of the sport? Here's an extreme example; a fly-fishing rod that casts for you. Are streams jam packed with people or traffic jams at every boat launch better for the sport?

Did you listen to the 5 minutes of the podcast I linked to? Those guys are using e-bikes to get deeper into their extensive trail networks by using ebikes instead of shuttling closer lines. They also mentioned it's more social when riding with friends as you can talk while pedaling. Another point was them comparing e-bikes to dirt bikes. Not all people can ride dirt bikes but everyone that can mtb can ride an e-bike. BTW - they word it way better than I did so still worth listening to it.

Also Kazimer from PB said he rides an e-mtb a couple times a week in this weeks PB Podcast. I know he has to test them but he says the E-bike is the thing to grab when he wants to get a full ride in with little time or has already done a ride or skied in the morning and just wants a less strenuous workout for the legs.

There was mention on a Mtn Creek thread talking about big lift lines and most people riding the same Dominion loop over and over. I feel that stuff like that an e-bike would be perfect even if you are hardcore and healthy. Actually Mtn Creek making an area like Neko Mullally's place in NC where you can ebike back up to downhill flow trails would be a good move - no addition lifts to run and less people waiting in down at the base.
Agreed. Kanuga down in NC was pretty much built with e-bikes in mind.

I mentioned it early in this thread, but I still think Glen Park would be great on an e-bike.

An old friend aggravated her knee a few weeks ago and now probably won't be able to ride for awhile (surgery likely). She's been wanting an e-bike for awhile and this will likely accelerate the desire. Will we give her a hard time about it? Of course we will. But I miss riding with my friend and if an e-bike lets her riding again, I'm all for it.

Last edited:
Who is the target audience then? Most people who've gotten into riding within the last 5-years have done so before the aggressive marketing of e-bikes. Is it to get in shape, get outdoors, master a skill? And why is also it so important for the sport to be more "mainstream"? For me, I got into this to both get in shape and earn the reward and satisfaction of trying to master something that was difficult (still trying to this day). Mountain biking to me is niche like trail running, free-diving, martial arts, rock-climbing (which a lot of riders I know also do), and fly fishing. These are all individual sports where mastery comes from practicing a specific set of skills and also overcoming a lot of the barriers that are in your own mind. All of these sports also require the mastery of some unique skills, in a unique place, and a very determined mindset. If you remove one of the required skillsets, is it sill the same? Does removing a barrier to something really improve the sport, or even the health of the sport? Here's an extreme example; a fly-fishing rod that casts for you. Are streams jam packed with people or traffic jams at every boat launch better for the sport?

I just think that the vast majority of people that ride mountain bikes are not "hardcore," and would be perfectly happy on an ebike if they could afford one. Many riders like riding and being in the woods, but don't like climbing, at least not hard climbing. Look at how popular Six Mile and Allaire are, and how unpopular Fugawe is. Nobody used to ride at Wildcat, and now that there are a bunch of easier trails there, it has exploded in popularity. I got into mountain biking because I was a fat slob and decided I would get a bike and ride to work. Then I found out about mountain bike trails and started going out to Lewis Morris a few times a week and walking up all the hills. As I got better, I started riding harder trails. I get great satisfaction from clearing an impossible rock garden or an insane climb. I'm sure an ebike would be fun as hell, but I'm not currently interested in making riding less challenging for myself. The less fun the riding is, the more I like it.

I agree with everything you said above, but I think we are deeply in the minority on this. I just don't get why you are so anti ebikes when you aren't being forced to ride one.

I just think that the vast majority of people that ride mountain bikes are not "hardcore,"
Agree and I'd love to see a stat on that. I'm guessing the average ride time for those that call themselves MTBers is 1/week at most. That's in the six warm months of the year. Then there's the ratio of riding versus filming/photographing themselves riding.

As for Fugawe, it's not even on Trailforks. Most people don't even know about that place. It's what Wildcat used to be, go in and pray you can find your way back out.

I just think that the vast majority of people that ride mountain bikes are not "hardcore," and would be perfectly happy on an ebike if they could afford one. Many riders like riding and being in the woods, but don't like climbing, at least not hard climbing. Look at how popular Six Mile and Allaire are, and how unpopular Fugawe is. Nobody used to ride at Wildcat, and now that there are a bunch of easier trails there, it has exploded in popularity. I got into mountain biking because I was a fat slob and decided I would get a bike and ride to work. Then I found out about mountain bike trails and started going out to Lewis Morris a few times a week and walking up all the hills. As I got better, I started riding harder trails. I get great satisfaction from clearing an impossible rock garden or an insane climb. I'm sure an ebike would be fun as hell, but I'm not currently interested in making riding less challenging for myself. The less fun the riding is, the more I like it.

I agree with everything you said above, but I think we are deeply in the minority on this. I just don't get why you are so anti ebikes when you aren't being forced to ride one.
I’m not anti-ebike really, because like you I know that most casual riders and I will rarely intersect. As it is I rarely ever see anyone at Wildcat other than the lot (where are these easy trails of which you speak?). I guess if anything I don’t see the reason why every sport needs to be “mainstream”, and let’s face it making something mainstream = making it easier, and that has been slowly manifesting itself in how the trails are cut/made, etc. Also, I’m just trying to wrap my head around how someone who isn’t “hardcore” has no issue with dropping $6-13k on something they’re not hardcore about. Yes, I know there is a lot of wealth in this region, but it’s interesting none the less. Will these things someday be cheaper, sure, but how cheap, considering a decent new bike these days doesn’t cost less than $2500?

where are these easy trails of which you speak?

Oreland, and everything on the other side of Green Pond Rd. Also the old koehler trail, or whatever it's called on trailforks.

I guess if anything I don’t see the reason why every sport needs to be “mainstream”, and let’s face it making something mainstream = making it easier, and that has been slowly manifesting itself in how the trails are cut/made, etc.

Yeah, some would probably argue that mountain biking being more mainstream would mean better acceptance and access to trails, which may or may not be true. You mentioned rock climbing earlier, and that one is a double edged sword. The cliffs are already overcrowded, but more climbers means better advocacy efforts hopefully. Many cliffs are not legal to climb on for various reasons. A relative explosion in climbing gyms is nice too.

I’m just trying to wrap my head around how someone who isn’t “hardcore” has no issue with dropping $6-13k on something they’re not hardcore about.

But they are hardcore, because they shred mountain bike trails on their expensive bicycle.

Also, for the record, re-reading my previous post falsely makes it sound like I think I'm a hardcore mountain biker. I might like to challenge myself on hard trails, but anyone that's ever gotten stuck behind me on a downhill would use literally any other word in the dictionary to describe my riding style.

But they are hardcore, because they shred mountain bike trails on their expensive bicycle.

Also, for the record, re-reading my previous post falsely makes it sound like I think I'm a hardcore mountain biker. I might like to challenge myself on hard trails, but anyone that's ever gotten stuck behind me on a downhill would use literally any other word in the dictionary to describe my riding style.
Being hard-core is more about your attitude and dedication than your skill level.

Back
Top Bottom