• I have ridden one in a trail for over an hr and I am considering one

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never give up my analog bike but I’ll still get an ebike

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Did he just say analog bike?

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • My knees are failing and an ebike in inevitable

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • My next bike will certainly be an ebike.

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never own an ebike, even when I’m 90

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Ebikes cause more trail damage than analog bikes

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Ebikes have no more trail impact than a traditional bike.

Votes: 63 26.5%
  • I hate anyone on an ebike

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Anyone on a bike is a friend of mine, ebike or not

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • I’ve been seeing ebikes in the woods regularly

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I’ve never seen an ebike on the trail

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • It's called an Acoustic bike

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • “I may consider one after my body is all used up and broken"

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • I already own an off-road Ebike

Votes: 29 12.2%
  • I have no interest in an e-bike

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Arguing against ebikes is kerfuffle

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I like Matty no matter what he rides

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
OK, I'm too lazy to go through 23 pages worth of posts to see if this was addressed but since there are NJ bike shops selling eMTBs, where are these people riding them? I don't know if we want to keep this info on the DL to avoid tipping off the authorities but where can one ride in NJ without getting busted... or places that are not patrolled. Asking for a friend.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
OK, I'm too lazy to go through 23 pages worth of posts to see if this was addressed but since there are NJ bike shops selling eMTBs, where are these people riding them? I don't know if we want to keep this info on the DL to avoid tipping off the authorities but where can one ride in NJ without getting busted... or places that are not patrolled. Asking for a friend.
Ive seen them in pretty much every park I ride.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We just left New Hampshire where they’re starting to embrace eBikes in some parks. Even one of the major Vermont destinations is allowing them on some trails.

My guess is that like everything mountain bike related, NJ will be 20 years behind everyone else.

Reactions: don

don

My guess is that like everything mountain bike related, NJ will be 20 years behind everyone else.

Going to Vermont recently it rings so true. So many really really good trail networks, pump track/DJ/bike park areas (and more being built), and trail builders/specific companies (I know of 4).

don

These electric dirt bikes and that are popping up on trails lately will ruin the e-mtb movement. The uneducated will not see a difference.

True. Any chance an electric dirt bike park would be an easier build than a full on MX track given the lack of noise? Might not keep all of them out but if you have an area for them it might help.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
True. Any chance an electric dirt bike park would be an easier build than a full on MX track given the lack of noise? Might not keep all of them out but if you have an area for them it might help.
The battle against dirt bikes on single track will always be a thing...I remember what it was like to be a kid with a dirt bike and no where to ride legally.... “who cares they can’t catch me...” That scene is what it is... I just hope eMTB’s don’t get lumped into that pool because they really are an awesome breakthrough for the demographic that they benefit.

Reactions: don

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The battle against dirt bikes on single track will always be a thing...I remember what it was like to be a kid with a dirt bike and no where to ride legally.... “who cares they can’t catch me...” That scene is what it is... I just hope eMTB’s don’t get lumped into that pool because they really are an awesome breakthrough for the demographic that they benefit.

speaking as one of that demographic? just asking . . . . . for. . . . . ummm. . . . a friend!, yea for a friend! ?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
1. Old
2. Disabled
3. Slow?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Here is the blurb from the Green Woodlands Foundation:

We've had inquiries periodically about e-bikes. These inquiries have come from athletes recovering from injury or illness, mature riders, military vets, and others. People dedicated to the sport, but who were struggling to find places to ride. Previously, we had followed the US Forest Service policy with regard to e-bikes, but we also started doing research and talking to people about this evolving technology and how it might fit into our philosophy here at Green Woodlands Foundation.

So, after a good deal of research, discussions with our team as well as other mountain bike organizations, we've decided to move forward with allowing class 1 peddle assist e-bikes on our trails on a pilot basis this year. Class 1 e-bikes are defined as pedal assist only, no throttle, with a max assisted speed of 20 mph.

We do ask that you help us by keeping within these guidelines, and help this pilot be successful. Other e-bike classes (eg, throttle based) or motorized vehicles are not allowed on Green Woodlands trails.

Please feel free to share this post with other riders and bike shops, so that e-bike riders know that our trails are now welcoming to class 1 e-bikes.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is from Ascutney in Vermont:

e-bikes are allowed in limited areas accessed from the AOC/Ski Tow Road trailhead. Please adhere to signage and familiarize yourself with the e-bike routes as displayed on the trail map at the trailhead. No e-bike trails are accessible from the Town Forest trailhead.

Under the terms of the West Windsor Town Forest Management Plan, ATA has obtained approval for a trial period to allow e-bikes on designated trails. After the 2020 season, impact on trails, safety issues and adherence to trail limits will be assessed to determine whether this use will be continued, expanded or denied.

Top Bottom