Dinosaur art destroyed

Jamie from YDKSAMTB took me over to them in the spring after a group ride. They were phenomenal.

FC29606C-11B4-46D6-BF7A-8B510AC5E074.jpeg

7CDF34E1-9231-4981-BF77-286916FAB692.jpeg
8B2CC71F-0732-4991-9562-222B730764FD.jpeg
9CE3857E-5F32-4AEC-95F0-1CFBA97D1B3B.jpeg

Great opportunity to have NJ NICA rebuild them.
No thanks. As much as I love the artwork and the artist, these are not sanctioned by the land manager. I would be very surprised if any organization that carries insurance rebuilds them.

can you copy and past the whole article? i don't have a subscription

Dinosaur sculptures at N.J. state park apparently destroyed​

• Updated: Oct. 11, 2022, 12:20 p.m.|
  • Published: Oct. 10, 2022, 5:20 p.m.
Dinosaur Sculptures Allaire State Park

Dinosaur sculptures in Allaire State Park that are part of an art project by Robin Ruggiero.
facebook

twitter

NEW!

shares
By
An artist’s dinosaur sculptures hidden in the woods in a state park in Monmouth County appear to have been destroyed, according to photos of the park taken on Monday.

The sculptures, made out of sticks, branches and twine, were knocked over and in piles on the ground in Allaire State Park. It’s unclear how they were destroyed.

The artist, Robin Ruggiero, could not be reached for comment. The state Department of Environmental Protection, which oversees the park, also did not immediately respond to a request to comment.

The administrator of a local Jersey Shore social media page, called Portraits of the Jersey Shore, visited the sculptures Monday. “This is incredibly sad,” the administrator wrote. Some families drove to the site to see the installation, because they had the day off from school, the person said.

“Thankfully, there were a few precious dinosaur structures still standing,” the person wrote.

Dinosaur sculptures in Allaire State Park.

The sculptures were popular with families who ventured into the woods to find them.

Ruggiero, the artist, previously told news station 6ABC that building the dinosaurs has been a type of therapy for her. “It’s like my own little world,” she said.

Our journalism needs your support. Please subscribe today to NJ.com.

By
Dinosaur sculptures in Allaire State Park that are part of an art project by Robin Ruggiero were allegedly vandalized.

1 / 14
Phil McAuliffe | For NJ Advance Media
Vandalized Dinosaur Sculptures Allaire State Park
Dinosaur sculptures in Allaire State Park that are part of an art project by Robin Ruggiero were allegedly vandalized.GET PHOTO
Dinosaur sculptures in Allaire State Park that are part of an art project by Robin Ruggiero were allegedly vandalized.

2 / 14
Dinosaur sculptures in Allaire State Park that are part of an art project by Robin Ruggiero were allegedly vandalized.GET PHOTO

3 / 14

4 / 14

5 / 14

6 / 14

7 / 14

8 / 14

9 / 14

10 / 14

11 / 14

12 / 14

13 / 14

14 / 14

Was in the Star Ledger this morning. Messed up. They interviewed the artist here:
Vandal with a ‘sharp knife’ likely destroyed dinosaur sculptures at state park, artist says

WALL TOWNSHIP — A popular collection of dinosaur stick sculptures in the woods at Allaire State Park was vandalized sometime last week. The damage was confirmed by their creator, Robin Ruggiero, as well as a state agency spokesperson.

“The State Park Service is saddened to see the damage to the wooden dinosaurs at Allaire State Park that occurred over the holiday weekend,” said Caryn Shinske, a public information officer for the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.

Ruggiero, who lives in Brick Township, said Wednesday that the vandalism may have been done before the weekend, based on the account she received from a friend who frequently walks through the wooded area her dinosaurs have called home since late 2019.

“Friday morning, I received a text from a friend who goes through the path of the dinosaurs every day around 8:30 to 9 o’clock for a morning walk,” she said. “He was there Thursday, said they were fine, but then on Friday he asked if I had taken them down.”

Preparing herself for the worst, Ms. Ruggiero visited the site of her work on Friday to discover the extent of the damage. She found The T-Rex, one of two Pteranodons and the Stegosaurus, were taken entirely apart and reduced to piles of sticks. These sculptures averaged about eight to ten feet tall.

Evidence of knife cuts in paracords used to support her art convinced Ms. Ruggiero that this was a calculated act of vandalism.

“It’s the way they were cut so cleanly down,” she said. “There’s a horizontal rope that runs from tree to tree and then several vertical lines that attach it to the spines. Each one was cut perfectly, and it’s hard to cut the paracord so neatly.”

Wall Township Police stated that any investigation would need to be conducted by the State Park Service as this falls out of their jurisdiction.

However, Ms. Shinske stated that Park Services would not be following up with an investigation.

“As this was a personal project conducted by a park visitor and not a Parks-commissioned amenity, the Department is not in a position to pursue further enforcement actions,” she told The Coast Star.

Is she going to rebuild?
No.

From today's Coast Star:

The first sculpture Ms.
Ruggiero built, “Old Salty,” a
wooden Tyrannosaurus Rex,
was completed on Dec. 26,
She later added several
more, including a Triceratops,
a Stegosaurus and two
Pteranodons. These projects
took around two weeks of
work each as they required
collection of enough twigs,
tree limbs, and whatever other
materials the woods could
yield, in addition to twine
and rope.

When she returned home from the scene, Ms. Ruggiero said, “I broke down and I literally was like in full-blown
mourning all Sunday. But that's when I started to receive such a flood of support on my Instagram.
“I've been crying all day,but it kept me busy all day with just responding and thanking the people who were sharing
all their photos that they had taken there and shared their memories with me.”

We should probably all refrain from pointing fingers here, it doesn’t benefit the conversation at all. Just saying…
if it looks like poop, smells like poop, maybe it is poop. cant help their group has a reputation for vandalism, booby trapping and other acts of sabotage around the park.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions