Dinosaur art destroyed

djm

wtf is wrong with people?

Read on Face Book Portraits of the Jersey Shore
This is really upsetting. If anyone who has ever visited the somewhat “secret” dinosaurs that were created out of branches and other natural material at The Historic Village at Allaire, they can tell you those creations were so special. Well some person or persons decided to destroy all of the dinosaurs last week. I will share what my good friend and English teacher Robyn Dyba wrote today:
“The wild and fantastic and beautiful and awe inspiring dinosaur sculptures at Allaire were vandalized this week. Our open hearted friend and local visionary artist Robin was devastated to find her towering creations cut down and left in heaps—piles of sticks and bones that once stood in tribute to their real life counterparts that also were destroyed eons ago by an unknown predator, be it by force of nature or other unproven mysteries.
“Robin did not seek notoriety for her work. She wasn’t even compensated for an art installation that had become a secret pilgrimage for many who found her work from word of mouth, to local news, to Weird New Jersey features. She graciously met my students and me for an artist talk in the woods with her sculptures last May and it became one of my most joyful and memorable field trips.
“This was a vicious act of violence against a creative spirit who only sought to bring joy to others and inner peace to herself. Her work was a source of creative joy that will no longer reach the hearts and souls of those in search of beauty in dark forests. When art is destroyed it not only ceases to exist, it ceases to carry the resonating power of its own particular beauty in the world.
Art is creation.
Creation is life.
Destruction is death.
Recreation is resurrection.”

JDurk

wtf is wrong with people?

Read on Face Book Portraits of the Jersey Shore
This is really upsetting. If anyone who has ever visited the somewhat “secret” dinosaurs that were created out of branches and other natural material at The Historic Village at Allaire, they can tell you those creations were so special. Well some person or persons decided to destroy all of the dinosaurs last week. I will share what my good friend and English teacher Robyn Dyba wrote today:
“The wild and fantastic and beautiful and awe inspiring dinosaur sculptures at Allaire were vandalized this week. Our open hearted friend and local visionary artist Robin was devastated to find her towering creations cut down and left in heaps—piles of sticks and bones that once stood in tribute to their real life counterparts that also were destroyed eons ago by an unknown predator, be it by force of nature or other unproven mysteries.
“Robin did not seek notoriety for her work. She wasn’t even compensated for an art installation that had become a secret pilgrimage for many who found her work from word of mouth, to local news, to Weird New Jersey features. She graciously met my students and me for an artist talk in the woods with her sculptures last May and it became one of my most joyful and memorable field trips.
“This was a vicious act of violence against a creative spirit who only sought to bring joy to others and inner peace to herself. Her work was a source of creative joy that will no longer reach the hearts and souls of those in search of beauty in dark forests. When art is destroyed it not only ceases to exist, it ceases to carry the resonating power of its own particular beauty in the world.
Art is creation.
Creation is life.
Destruction is death.
Recreation is resurrection.”
Seriously WTF?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think there was some talk about this in the conditions thread. I've only been to Allaire once, and I was brought to see the dinosaurs. They were really cool, and there were tons of others there checking them out. People suck.

MMuller

Criminal. Why would anyone or a group of people do something like this? Cross post in things that make you frown.

iman29

omfg that is terrible! i am even more disappointed now I could make it to any rides there this season as i have never even been there.

How terrible for the artist that made them and the community of local riders. hope that bad karma finds those people sooner than later.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sad times. Sorry to hear this.

Kids often do this nonsense and kids are idiots. It doesn’t really make it any better but some kids just get their angst out this way.

Still sad.

thegock

The kids.

That's who the vandals hurt. The dinosaurs were regularly visited by children with their families on weekends.

Idiots.
BUTE RFLY PXL_20221008_162046187.MP-01.jpg

Robyn had really stepped up her game in the last couple of years.

Karate Monkey

No, pics, but I remember the first time I saw them:

I took a wrong turn near dark, only to come out into a clearing with a sculpture made of sticks and bones. It was unsettling in the dark, to say the least. It was only a few months later that I was talking to a friend--who is a local artist that knows her--that I found out what the "deal" was.

Frank

Sasquatch
When I first saw these the first thing I thought was “god I hope this area doesn’t get a controlled burn”. Never for a minute did I think that someone would vandalize the amazing features. I am truly saddened by this and feel we as the cycling community need to get involved and help her restore the area. I would love to see us fix it up and maybe even move up the respect ladder a bit seeing as though I read a post stating cyclists as the possible culprits.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
feel we as the cycling community need to get involved and help her restore the area.
I know some folks in the YDKSAMB group reached out to her offering to help rebuild and she wasn’t interested. Said it would just happen again 😔

serviceguy

I know some folks in the YDKSAMB group reached out to her offering to help rebuild and she wasn’t interested. Said it would just happen again 😔
In my view the biggest damage these animals have done is crushing the passion this woman put into building those works of art. Had a storm destroyed them, I have no doubt she would have rebuilt them, but knowing that some people deliberately destroyed them is soul crushing and makes you lose any little faith you have left in the human species. Such a sad day to learn of this unnecessary act. I hope that with time she can channel her upset and possibly rage into building them back even bigger than before.

Last edited:

Rogers

This sucks. I’m sure there is a video or pictures out there and hopefully those involved are found. I’m not sure what can be done about it though. I wonder if there is an area near Allaire Village where these can be rebuilt if Robin changes here mind. Somewhere “safer”.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions