DH Bike Choices aka pushing the limits to the N+1 rule

that was my last bike! I found it a little was more race machine than I wanted but it was super stable.
https://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/2016-scott-gambler-720-downhill-bike.42217/

That does look familiar! Bike is definitely a tank. Previous DH bike was more towards the lightweight, short geometry end of the spectrum so I wanted to try something big, long, and stable (no jokes please...). I think it suits my riding although I wouldn't mind if it were a bit lighter.

downhill terrain don't mean downhill dual crown race bikes

@JonF that's awesome! I was just browsing that from Chainreaction the other day. I'm not sure if the one they have on their site is old model? but it's on sale if anyone here wants to know

@ebarker9 that was my last bike! I found it a little was more race machine than I wanted but it was super stable.
https://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/2016-scott-gambler-720-downhill-bike.42217/

That's what people beginning to ride DH these days don't understand. A downhill bike is 100% a dual crown, slack bike. You aren't pedaling to the top of Tempest easily at all. Then there are freeride and enduro bikes. Both can pedal easier. Enduro more than freeride. But both vastly different from DH bikes. And no, dual crown does not mean race bike. It means go faster, and more enjoyable comfort wise.

I picked this sucker up in November. I wasn't even looking for a new rig, but couldn't pass up the price. YT only had XL's and XXL's in stock. It's a 2019 CF Pro Race that normally lists for $5800. I guess they had quite a bit of inventory they needed to get rid of. What's interesting is that they bumped the price back up to $4400 after listing it for $3700 for a short time period. $4400 is still a great price considering how it is spec'ed, but at $3700, just couldn't stare at it any longer without clicking the purchase button. I sold the X2 on pinkbike, going to purchase a DHX2.

IMG_20201129_143901.jpg

I picked this sucker up in November. I wasn't even looking for a new rig, but couldn't pass up the price. YT only had XL's and XXL's in stock. It's a 2019 CF Pro Race that normally lists for $5800. I guess they had quite a bit of inventory they needed to get rid of. What's interesting is that they bumped the price back up to $4400 after listing it for $3700 for a short time period. $4400 is still a great price considering how it is spec'ed, but at $3700, just couldn't stare at it any longer without clicking the purchase button. I sold the X2 on pinkbike, going to purchase a DHX2.

View attachment 151061
1612615290271.png

View attachment 151061
That’s interesting, right around the same time Specialized had the base model Demo listed for just over $3k...now it’s back up to $5k or something.

So what's the general consensus for needing rim inserts when riding at Creek? Is the terrain there make it a necessity for long term protection? Or is it just not gnarly enough to warrant it?

So what's the general consensus for needing rim inserts when riding at Creek? Is the terrain there make it a necessity for long term protection? Or is it just not gnarly enough to warrant it?
I would say yes helpful for the enduro trails. Especially if you're talented enough to fly through the gnar. (I am not). For the flow trails I dont think its needed. I dont use them and haven't destroyed anything yet.

I think it's definitely a mix. If you're a heavier/more aggressive/less smooth rider you could certainly realize benefits on the more natural trails. But there isn't consensus at the EWS/WC riding level, so I'd hardly say that they're "needed", more a matter of riding style, personal preference, and whether or not the weight tradeoff is a concern.

I don’t have inserts and have pretty much destroyed a wheelset per season. Maybe I should buy inserts 🤔 that said, like 80% of guests are not even touching the really gnarly tech. There are segments on Strava that only have about 12 people on them for the year... yet kids in lift line are bitching how there aren’t enough trails 😂 sorry, I digress....

Wait a while and ride the new bike. See what happens before spending the money. Unless you plan to race and go full speed through rock gardens then I think you’ll be fine. As far as the traction benefits of running lower psi ... meh.

With that said, I put a dent in my rim on my 2nd day at MC. I weigh 215 and have the finesse of a freight train so I may try inserts this season.

Inserts change the ride quality more than anything . Don't think of them as protection. Im 160 lbs and pretty smooth most of the time and I broke a front rim this season with cushcore w wire bead dh casing minion at like 28psi so nothing is indestructible.

In anticipation of using my Orbea Occam for park days this season, I bought a 2nd set of wheels. Can’t risk destroying my expensive carbon wheels so I bought take-offs from a guy on Pinkbike. They’re Roval Traverse wheels, which I got for $300. Add another $160 for a set of Maxxis DD Tires and $150 for cushcore inserts (I just ordered these). That’s over $600 invested - on wheels I’ll maybe use a few times a season. :confused:

The more I think about it, the more I think you should invest $80 and add a cushcore to your rear wheel.

A lot of people make the mistake of going up there and running their normal tire pressure and wonder why the place wrecks wheels... You can get away with 18/20psi in the woods all day but I’m running like 30psi at a bike park. You’ll be amazed how easier it is to clear jumps without the low pressure resistance too

Back
Top Bottom