DH Bike Choices aka pushing the limits to the N+1 rule

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I made my first DH park trip (with intention) in September. As expected, I've been to Creek almost every weekend since that first trip to Killington. I'm addicted. 2 months ago I was debating getting the new Trek Supercaliber. Well, forget that, I'm going to the other end of the spectrum. Give me 200mm of downhill plush baby! The issue I'm having is what to get. There are so many interesting DH bikes with all kinds of "proprietary" technology. I have lot's of Treks but feel like it may be time for a change. Don't say I need an Enduro Bike. I have a Slash and a Remedy. I NEED a DH bike. Looking at Commencal Supreme DH and the YT Tues but really open to just about anything at this point, but I want something known and reliable. As far as riding style, I've been known to go fast and have fairly decent technical ability. If I haven't hit anything at Creek yet, it's mostly just cuz I haven't gotten to it yet.

Ian F

Given your association with Halter's: Pivot Phoenix or Santa Cruz V10.

When it comes to DH bikes, customer service is a case of "when" not "if"...

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’m a Commencal fanboy. The Supreme is meant to be a race bike then they have the Furious which is more for all around bike park fun. That said both can do both and are equally sexy. The YT Tues seems to be a popular one this year and seems to be a really good bang for buck option.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I could tell you were drooling over my fork lol . Commencal furious Is a killer deal, if i were to get a dh sled that would probably be it . Can race it or just shred the gnar and still be fun and playfull

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Well if you want a bad ass bike that’s unique, rides awesome and is a good deal (and you can wait until Spring), check out the Propain Rage. Personally I’ve got my eye on the Spindrift but seems like you want the full monty.

EDIT: They have the top of the line available now in L and XL for under $5K. It’s easily a $7K bike.

Last edited:

ebarker9

Agree with the idea of getting whatever your preferred shop carries. If that's Halters and Santa Cruz/Pivot, those are good options, although I'm not too familiar with the Pivot Phoenix. The V-10 is a proven platform and Santa Cruz is a great company to deal with. Most of the offerings from the major companies are good at this point and DH bikes have so much adjustability, I don't think it's possible to go too far wrong.

Turbotrix

I made my first DH park trip (with intention) in September. As expected, I've been to Creek almost every weekend since that first trip to Killington. I'm addicted. 2 months ago I was debating getting the new Trek Supercaliber. Well, forget that, I'm going to the other end of the spectrum. Give me 200mm of downhill plush baby! The issue I'm having is what to get. There are so many interesting DH bikes with all kinds of "proprietary" technology. I have lot's of Treks but feel like it may be time for a change. Don't say I need an Enduro Bike. I have a Slash and a Remedy. I NEED a DH bike. Looking at Commencal Supreme DH and the YT Tues but really open to just about anything at this point, but I want something known and reliable. As far as riding style, I've been known to go fast and have fairly decent technical ability. If I haven't hit anything at Creek yet, it's mostly just cuz I haven't gotten to it yet.

I agree that if you're hitting the DH park on a regular basis a dedicated DH rig is the way to go. Going from 150mm rear travel to 216mm helped me push a lot harder that I was willing to do on the enduro bike and it's a whole lot more fun.

I wound up picking up a 2 used bikes for my son and I, a Demo 8 and a V10. Both are fantastic. I looked into Commencal and YT's as well but just happened to find the others locally for the right prices. I'm sure you'd be fine with any of them. Buy a V10 from Halters!

I happened to be passing by Commencal HQ the other day so I figured I'd stop in to see what they had. I like this...

IMG_1074.jpeg

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I know nothing about DH, but given SC's warranty and lifetime replacement pivot bearings, plus Halters, the V10 should be in contention...

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I demo'd the SC V10 twice this summer - once in 29 and once in 27.5. I LOVE IT. I want the MX (29 front and 27.5 rear). But I ride like a weenie.

Ian F

Two of my teammates are riding Nomads in mullet configuration. They like them for bike park and enduro riding. I have basically drank the 29er Kool Aid, so I have a Megatower which meets my skill level and gnar-shredding desires. Granted, at 50 I'm the youngest in my group.

At this point in my riding life, I don't see me getting a full-on DH bike again (I sold my M16C back in 2019), but if I were to get the racing itch again I'd likely go the full 29er route.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Granted, at 50 I'm the youngest in my group.

subscribed! response should be interesting.
-----
besides the bike, what does Bill need to minimize getting broken?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Bill could probably ride Wildcat on a BMX bike and do better than most of us so I think he’ll be alright.

yes - but he will want to go bigger and faster, and faster and bigger.
He'll end up there with Jeff at some point.

other than a full face, what are those collar things?
other body armor?
seriously - at his advanced age......;)

Ian F

subscribed! response should be interesting.
-----
besides the bike, what does Bill need to minimize getting broken?
Team XXL - A Drinking Team with a Biking Problem.

I'm not sure what the question means.

Personally, one of the reasons I don't want a DH bike is basically how modern bikes are designed to be ridden: all out at race speeds. They don't really work so well if you don't have the skills to ride one at those speeds. And when things go wrong at those speeds, it hurts. While my Megatower is a far more capable bike than I am a rider, it also seems much more forgiving and easier to ride at the speeds I am capable of than my M16C was, which was basically an all-out race bike.

Now that doesn't mean I think the OP shouldn't buy a DH bike. I don't know him or his riding ability. It sounds like he can make good use of one. Or maybe he'll come to the same conclusions I have. But that will be his journey and only he can take it.

Oh... armor. The most important to me is a good back protector, probably with integrated shoulder pads. I also wear padded shorts, although I'm not 100% sure how much they ever helped me. Fortunately, I don't wreck too often when riding DH these days.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
An old saying with Downhilling
Its not a matter of if but when you will get hurt. Well that was in racing to be honest. Most racers are almost always dealy with a injury.
Its why I gave up competitive racing and also why I bought a enduro bike, to save myself from myself. Still have a capable DH sled if I want but thats pretty much for my mini clone.

I used to race plattekill with Mike from XXL team. Plus Chris C not a Dher is also part of that crew who lives down the road from me in my old hood.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bill's response should be interesting - he is in the 50 club with us.

So you do know him

My goal is to not get hurt. I already invested in a good helmet and pads. I've been looking at the neck and back things; that will be part of the DH purchase. Like @mattybfat said it's not if it's when. But my analogy would not be to "getting hurt"; I like to think it as {not IF I'm going to go FAST but WHEN}. So I may as well make sure I have the right tool.

Level? I've raced enduro. Granted, this was 5-6 years ago, but I was first loser to the, then National Champion (funny - I just realized this, if you added Seamus and Dillons age I was +3 years the two combined).

10419392_712781588789564_4862976295013685016_n.jpg

Going some of the boutique newer brands scares me a bit. Obviously, SC, Trek, Specialized all have R&D, time and warranties behind them. But even Commencal, YT and few others have several (to many) years on the Pro circuit.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My goal is to not get hurt. I already invested in a good helmet and pads. I've been looking at the neck and back things; that will be part of the DH purchase. Like @mattybfat said it's not if it's when. But my analogy would not be to "getting hurt"; I like to think it as {not IF I'm going to go FAST but WHEN}. So I may as well make sure I have the right tool.

Level? I've raced enduro. Granted, this was 5-6 years ago, but I was first loser to the, then National Champion (funny - I just realized this, if you added Seamus and Dillons age I was +3 years the two combined).

View attachment 142689

Going some of the boutique newer brands scares me a bit. Obviously, SC, Trek, Specialized all have R&D, time and warranties behind them. But even Commencal, YT and few others have several (to many) years on the Pro circuit.
Is that at Roundtop??? By far my favorite race I did this year 👌

oh, and just buy a Commencal. They are bullet proof rocket ships.

Top Bottom