cross practice

im not dead.... but if anyone that i didn't talk to has anymore info from when i pulled myself out of the weeds on the third lap, until the beginning of the second race, i would appreciate it ;)

1. High-level on what happened to JPLT?
2. Who won? Lou or Carson?

James - Hope you are feeling ok today - we talked after you came out of the woods and a few times after but not sure what you recall. Hope you don't mind me recapping what I know.

Although I didn't see it I talked to James right after he came out of the woods at the end of the last lap on the first session and he was looking a little dazed and had some tree parts on his face/shoulders/chest.

He looked dazed but was coherent, told me that he had been figting issues with his rear brakes the whole session and when he was coming down a fast descent/straight he lost his rear brake completely and wiped out, going into the bushes. It was clear by the debris that he had impacted his head to some degree but since I didn't see it I don't want to speculate on how/how hard.

He was walking fine and had his faculties about him but about 5 min later he knew he had crashed but he couldn't remember coming out of the woods, exactly how the crash happened etc. Not sure if he even remembers talking to me.

He did the very wise thing and sat the next session out and had someone drive him home.

As far as Carson and Lou - can't answer who won, but do know Carson was still alive and Coherent at the end. Met him right as I was leaving and he had a big smile on his face - so maybe he won, or maybe he was just masking the pain? I'm not sure.

James' little incident aside this was a ton of fun again!

Ha, yeah, don't remember talking to you after the race... damn.

I remember most of the race, who passed, what happened clear as day. Then I remember crashing in the weeds. I slightly remember pulling myself out of them. The next thing I can recall is sitting on my hatch, without my jersey on watching the second race stage and seeing Ben on a mountain bike. Everything from that point on I can slightly remember, but not vivid details. I remember talking to everyone, and about what and who, but I would suddenly come back around and be like "What did I just say? What was we just talking about?" I finally started to remember details vividly by the time Bill left after he dropped me off.

From the details I can confirm from technology, I was going 17MPH when I wrecked, I hit the lap button before I crossed the creek.

I just went to look at my helmet and this was the only marks I could find on it... not a bruise on my body; just minor scratches from the weeds that look like they have poison ivy in them :(

CE1A4AEF-3FE6-4368-8E9D-B10DA4D50093-283-0000001617676585_zpsdd35b5f1.jpg

D1398408-FF8B-4321-8CC7-199CF1C765F1-283-0000001610F46B11_zps44fc1a8c.jpg

BB9DAADE-F614-4814-95F3-FC865F34E31D-283-000000160627E790_zpsebde14e9.jpg

Not sure how such a big impact can do such damage without any real marks anywhere. No riding for me today. I think I was at ease and not scared because I knew I was in a good place with good people. Thanks again guys and gals.

And Lou won the fashion competition as well as the battle of the bulge.

Pearl do you remember me sitting with you trying to figure out what happened after the first lap? You asked me maybe 10 times how long it took from when you fell to being back at the car because you couldn't remember falling or getting back to the car. By the end of lap 2 you remembered where you went down and how you went down but still didn't remember hitting your head or how you got back to the car. You asked everyone that went by "Hey did you see me go down? How long until I got back to here?" You did repeat the same questions a lot for the first 10-15 minutes but then started to get your bearings back. You never seemed out of it. Your eyes were fine but your hands were still shaking. I said hang on and walked towards my car and you said "no, don't call Mandi yet" and I hadn't even told you I was going to call her so you knew what was going on. (full disclosure here Mandi, he didn't NOT want to call you, he just didn't want to call you and freak you out before he knew what was what).

The irony of this situation is not lost on me btw.

Nice star on yo face son!
tumblr_mrxtoiLYao1qi6mxlo1_500.jpg

I wanted you to go get checked out and Bill said either he's driving or he's walking home haha. You didn't want to go to the doctor and be there all night plus you said "man my fantasty draft starts in 20 minutes and I got the first pick". How did that work out for you?

I find it funny that he lost his bearings and his default is to start taking his clothes off. Props.

Pearl do you remember me sitting with you trying to figure out what happened after the first lap? You asked me maybe 10 times how long it took from when you fell to being back at the car because you couldn't remember falling or getting back to the car. By the end of lap 2 you remembered where you went down and how you went down but still didn't remember hitting your head or how you got back to the car. You asked everyone that went by "Hey did you see me go down? How long until I got back to here?" You did repeat the same questions a lot for the first 10-15 minutes but then started to get your bearings back. You never seemed out of it. Your eyes were fine but your hands were still shaking. I said hang on and walked towards my car and you said "no, don't call Mandi yet" and I hadn't even told you I was going to call her so you knew what was going on. (full disclosure here Mandi, he didn't NOT want to call you, he just didn't want to call you and freak you out before he knew what was what).

The irony of this situation is not lost on me btw.

Nice star on yo face son!
tumblr_mrxtoiLYao1qi6mxlo1_500.jpg

I wanted you to go get checked out and Bill said either he's driving or he's walking home haha. You didn't want to go to the doctor and be there all night plus you said "man my fantasty draft starts in 20 minutes and I got the first pick". How did that work out for you?

Things in bold I remember, and I seriously thought that photo was from last week; I can hear your voice saying "hold on let me get a picture of this" and remember why, but dont remember physically doing it.

tom-olmscheid-49ers-vikings-football-minneapolis-mn-adrian-peterson.jpg

Pearl: I spoke with you after the end of the first race, when you'd made it back to your car. You seemed a bit out of it, and I asked you a few questions about how you were feeling, what happened, etc. I insisted that you sit out the next race, and you said "I'll do one lap! One lap!" Thankfully you DID end up sitting it out for the next race.

I'd definitely keep an eye on things, and go to see a doc if you experience any symptoms of a concussion. Head trauma is no joke, especially a week and a half before your wedding!

Enough about Pearl.

Lou had a decent lead on me through the first two laps, then I started reeling him in a bit on the third. In one of the 180-turns, he went by me and was bitching about his bike and it looked like he missed a shift or two. Or something. After Pearl ate poop, we both pulled off an stayed with him. I started the second race without Lou as he stayed with Pearl.

So, Lou was ahead through three laps. Had we done a fourth, it would have been closer I think. Hopefully Lou's bike trouble continues! I was actually rolling my tires over quite a bit, and should have been running a little more pressure. This was confirmed by Ben.

Week one: Advantage Lou.

Enough about Pearl.

Lou had a decent lead on me through the first two laps, then I started reeling him in a bit on the third. In one of the 180-turns, he went by me and was bitching about his bike and it looked like he missed a shift or two. Or something. After Pearl ate poop, we both pulled off an stayed with him. I started the second race without Lou as he stayed with Pearl.

So, Lou was ahead through three laps. Had we done a fourth, it would have been closer I think. Hopefully Lou's bike trouble continues! I was actually rolling my tires over quite a bit, and should have been running a little more pressure. This was confirmed by Ben.

you guys will have to do a cross results clash!

Enough about Pearl.

Bike mechanicals...still part of racing! Carson, work on your start...if you weren't stuck behind me you may have caught him....

Not that I'm taking sides - I was considering just watching and heckling since I knew it would be a good match!

Ha, that clash thing looks pretty cool, Bard!

Robin: Agreed, but I wanted to follow you for a lap to see your lines. You were really fast on the fast, sweeper turns. And by lap 3, your pace was just as quick as mine, if not faster. Gotta get fit. Next time don't hit that big rut, though. :)

I wasn't going to go there but since it's come up... I washed out once on the first lap getting used to the low tubular psi for the first time ever and I dropped my chain twice. I have to be honest though, you wouldn't have caught me (yeah I said it) :getsome:
*I still suck though*

Robin, you looked great out there!

CX season is gonna be awesome!

TUBULARS 4 LYF!

EDIT:

you guys will have to do a cross results clash!

That is fantastic!

"Let's face it, there's nothing that feels better in 'cross than crushing your friends. We've teamed up with the Rapha/Focus team this year to make crushing your friends EVEN MORE REWARDING than it already is, by entering whomever wins the season-long head-to-head matchup between you and your "friend" in a raffle for some swanky prizes."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom