Concerning Trend at MCP

southernerinnj

Now that the weather is nice alot more people seem to be out and about on the paths at MCP. Now me and the family are out there alot and I have started to see a concerning trend. When I started out there and the weather was not quite as nice the few people on bikes that I saw were kitted out correctly with helmets and such. Now the weather is warmer and I have started to see an alarming amount of FAMILIES and I do mean parents and children alike biking in the park with NO HELMET!!!! As I pass by I've started to say something aimed mainly at the parents just kindly stating that a helmet would be a safe idea or pointing out that NJ state law requires anyone under 17 to wear a helmet. Am I just wrong in thinking that everyone out there should be wearing a helmet? Have I become the helmet nazi of MCP. :getsome::getsome: I guess since I've been hurt while biking before it hits home for me, but I just wanted to see if anyone else is noticing this trend as well.

i know what you mean man. you are going to see it everywhere you go. unfortunatley a lot of people dont have enough common sense to AT LEAST throw a lid on their children, let alone themselves. granted growing up i didnt wear one when i was bmxing but now i dont leave the driveway without one. they will learn though when they are holding little jimmys brain matter in his head waiting for the paramedics to get there.

...I just wanted to see if anyone else is noticing this trend as well.

Good luck with that. :rofl:
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7069

My opinion? "It's not my kid."

I used to occasionally praise kids who I saw wearing their helmets. I found this especially pleasing when they were riding with their helmetless parents. :rolleyes: I grew out of that trend.

A few people gave me grief when I posted photos of my own kids in a trailer without a helmet. I stopped just short of telling them to fvck off.

I don't want people telling me to fvck off. So I just ride by and ignore them.

To make a long story short, My family rides with helmets. I don't want others to get hurt but I'm not going to go around educating everyone.

YUP!!!....it's funny that you meantion it. I was at Mercer yesterday after work. Saw two parents and their kid, both parents not wearing helmet.....tisk tisk!

Shortly after that,my attention switched over to a herd of deer and away from the trail. I then proceeded to crash - over the handlebars and all, landing on my face....ofcorse, I had a helmet on BTW

Sadly folk don't think they need a helmet. Hopefully people will learn from the recent tragic event that happened to Natasha Richardson, even skiing a bunny slope can leave you brain dead. :(

YUP!!!....it's funny that you meantion it. I was at Mercer yesterday after work. Saw two parents and their kid, both parents not wearing helmet.....tisk tisk!

Shortly after that,my attention switched over to a herd of deer and away from the trail. I then proceeded to crash - over the handlebars and all, landing on my face....ofcorse, I had a helmet on BTW

I will bet that is the same family I said something 2 it was 2 parents and a boy just yesterday. I saw that same herd of deer on the side of the road yesterday and me and my daughter stopped to watch them. Did you see a yellow and black trailer being pulled through the park by chance? If so that was me.

:topic:
Sorry if this has already been hashed out and beaten down plenty of times. I guess being a parent other people's stupidity with their children really bothers me. OTOH does anyone know if the park ranger's actually enforce the 17 and under helmet law or do they just look the other way?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions