Clean Start

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Covid 19 -
apparently the 19 is for the number of lbs i need to lose after taking a couple months off from moving around.

Was nice to go to 6MR today with @jklett. We agreed this isolation thing has a bad mental side effect,
so we might have to try to get out regularly, but not together, or organized.

Pulled up the records and found that I haven't ridden 6MR since last July, when the MTBNJ groupie happened.
Since Jan 1, 2018, i've only ridden there 6 times! Wow. I really like how the re-routes improved flow, and eliminated
a bunch of problem spots - nice job there @jdog and the crew that supports him.

Some berms have appeared in the twisties - lots of fun -

Just checking in - trying to get a little fitness back.
Nothing race related on the calendar - that is a :(

Patrick

Staff member
How you all doing? (how ja doin)

I've gotten to ride my bike a few times this month. Gotta say, it has been fun - other than having my bikes break,
and then anyone in my shout zone also has problems. *Apologies*

Trying to venture out a bit, and get a little "umph" back. Not sure how to explain it, but as long as i don't blow up,
i feel i can keep going at a decent pace (slow) - but there isn't anything there to call on to keep up with a faster group
even if it is just for the first part of a ride. Also, the handling skills have suffered. Oh well.

came across this - 30+ years ago...maybe 23yo or so?
Why important? I weighed about the same - 190.
Probably a workout peak -

104438315_10221100977969422_8204362307257199204_o - Edited.jpg

Forever long ago. I drink better beer now. coincidence?

I guess I'm going to have to get on my road bike?
My last fitness peak?

2018 - cycling/marathon

under 170 lbs.
I'm toast on this ride, cause it is my 3rd workout of the day - the previous week i led the ride,
couldn't hold the pace on this one tho.

1592615184068.png

Guess i should find a happy place in between?

Trying to get there. Gotta stop the grazing! Start riding!

Last edited:

bigW

Get cracking Pat!

Biking is a lifestyle not a destination.

I blew up to 190lbs stuck at home during quarantine but it’ll all work out. Good time to get creative with your choice of biking and fitness routine.

Peaks and valleys my friend. ?

W

Patrick

Staff member
Get cracking Pat!

Biking is a lifestyle not a destination.

I blew up to 190lbs stuck at home during quarantine but it’ll all work out. Good time to get creative with your choice of biking and fitness routine.

Peaks and valleys my friend. ?

W

Good words! Thanks Warren.

liong71er

How you all doing? (how ja doin)

I've gotten to ride my bike a few times this month. Gotta say, it has been fun - other than having my bikes break,
and then anyone in my shout zone also has problems. *Apologies*

Trying to venture out a bit, and get a little "umph" back. Not sure how to explain it, but as long as i don't blow up,
i feel i can keep going at a decent pace (slow) - but there isn't anything there to call on to keep up with a faster group
even if it is just for the first part of a ride. Also, the handling skills have suffered. Oh well.

came across this - 30+ years ago...maybe 23yo or so?
Why important? I weighed about the same - 190.
Probably a workout peak -

View attachment 132044

Forever long ago. I drink better beer now. coincidence?

I guess I'm going to have to get on my road bike?
My last fitness peak?

2018 - cycling/marathon

under 170 lbs.
I'm toast on this ride, cause it is my 3rd workout of the day - the previous week i led the ride,
couldn't hold the pace on this one tho.

View attachment 132049

Guess i should find a happy place in between?

Trying to get there. Gotta stop the grazing! Start riding!
still looking great Pat!!

Patrick

Staff member
60 Mile Sourland Spectacular route with @Mare45 and @jklett, with south Jersey represented by Gene

Veloviewer tells me this is the longest ride I've attempted since HOH back in March of 2019.
Isn't that special, and by quite a large margin too. The next in line was Cathedral Pines at 48mi in November, then a 40mi road loop a year ago.

Had my doubts going in - but held one, very big advantage. Riding on my home court. OK, a little license with the wording, but go with it.

Casual start time of around 8:30 on a beautiful day meant no pressure to wake-up early. Slept well enough knowing the bike was prep'd to go,
and most of the necessities were laid-out and ready. Popped out of bed at 6:15. Downed some coffee, pet the cat, and kitted up. Had a decent sized
meal the night before, so just hit it with a fig bar.

Rolled into Montgomery HS parking around 8:00. With the Sourland fund raiser being a Ride on your own schedule,
it was a very different feel than previous events. Plenty of spaces, nobody directing traffic, riders chatting and leaving in groups of 3 or 4.
No pressure to check-in or get into starting waves made for a very casual last-minute prep. The bike computer says we rolled out at 8:31.

Nerves kinda kicked in here, as I pictured the turn onto Hollow Road, and the climb to the top of Long Hill.
It isn't particularly steep or grind-it-out long, but the legs weren't feeling good with the lack of saddle-time this year.
The side effect of this was going into zombie mode and just pedaling until crossing the pipeline.
Other than pointing out the property recently purchased by Somerset County on Long Hill Road, I don't really remember any of it!
Great, 5 miles into a 60 mile ride, and I'm already out-of-it. We agreed that our pace was going to be social,
but I wasn't going to be able to talk while riding, and survive.

Of course the bomb down Long Hill was interrupted by a car pulling out in front of us. Plenty of time to slow down before running up behind them.
Make the turn onto Wertzville Road, and there is an ambulance with a couple riders and an upside down bike.
Checked in and they said they'd be ok - well that set the mood. Other than a route change in the Amwell Valley that caught me,
it was smooth sailing to our food stop around mile 26.

1599488778059.png

Just a breathtaking view of one of the many Hunterdon County farms. This one is just outside of Sergeantsville.

1599488693388.png

Crossing through Sergeantsville took our ride down along Lower Creek Road - This road should be included on any Hunterdon County ride.
Enjoying the scenery, we didn't take any pictures! Hooked up with a few other riders on the loop climbing away from the creek.
I was still being anti-social, but the scenery was bringing me out a bit. Feeling pretty good, and getting some cooperation from traffic on 523,
we were able to take the lane for a left hand turn, and got everyone through - that 30 seconds or so reminded me what a it feels like to group ride.
We still aren't going to do any type of pace line, because of C19, but the adrenaline of working 20+mph with the cars,
and the safety of multiple riders in the balance, yeah.

It kinda snapped me out of zombie mode as we worked our way back towards Ringoes. This got me rolling a bit faster than our casual pace,
but still not pressing - cause had to make it back! I knew we were doing the Linvale climb, which is short, but gets steep.
Climbing felt good, even after my legs hinted of cramping. Never happened!

We regrouped before Snydertown, and stuck together up Rileyville to Ridge. Ridge is one of my favorite roads in the area.
It is a smooth 1 mile stretch with minimal grade changes. It goes by effortlessly. We climb up Lindbergh to Long Hill, and it is all downhill from there.
A nice easy pedal brings us home.

A great ride on a beautiful day with some good folks.
I'll apologize for the lack of pictures - we have a few, but no group shot, and they just aren't that interesting.
Except for Mare on her gravel bike - thank you to the organizers for putting in Dogwood Dr -
otherwise those plush tires might not have gotten their play time!

1599492365479.png

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
Great job! I did a short loop today with about 10 miles going the opposite direction of the SS. Saw maybe 15 riders that were doing it, tho with my late start I saw most on Longhill going towards Hollow. I'll probably do the 60 mile loop thursday or friday, I can pick it up at the end of Everitts and start there - will be about 65 miles total. Where are the water stops?

PS flying down Lindbergh I almost hit another vulture - stupid birds - luckily I slammed on the brakes and he went over my head

Patrick

Staff member
Great job! I did a short loop today with about 10 miles going the opposite direction of the SS. Saw maybe 15 riders that were doing it, tho with my late start I saw most on Longhill going towards Hollow. I'll probably do the 60 mile loop thursday or friday, I can pick it up at the end of Everitts and start there - will be about 65 miles total. Where are the water stops?

PS flying down Lindbergh I almost hit another vulture - stupid birds - luckily I slammed on the brakes and he went over my head

Thanks.

Water is marked on ridewithgps - i did ok with two large bidons.
there is also Sergeantsville general store, and Carousel in Ringoes.

iman29

60 Mile Sourland Spectacular route with @Mare45 and @jklett, with south Jersey represented by Gene

Veloviewer tells me this is the longest ride I've attempted since HOH back in March of 2019.
Isn't that special, and by quite a large margin too. The next in line was Cathedral Pines at 48mi in November, then a 40mi road loop a year ago.

Had my doubts going in - but held one, very big advantage. Riding on my home court. OK, a little license with the wording, but go with it.

Casual start time of around 8:30 on a beautiful day meant no pressure to wake-up early. Slept well enough knowing the bike was prep'd to go,
and most of the necessities were laid-out and ready. Popped out of bed at 6:15. Downed some coffee, pet the cat, and kitted up. Had a

Rolled into Montgomery HS parking around 8:00 - with the Sourland fund raiser being a Ride on your own schedule,
it was a very different feel than previous events. Plenty of spaces, nobody directing traffic, riders chatting and leaving in groups of 3 or 4.
No pressure to check-in or get into starting waves made for a very casual last-minute prep. The bike computer says we rolled out at 8:31.

Nerves kinda kicked in here, as I pictured the turn onto Hollow Road, and the climb to the top of Long Hill.
It isn't particularly steep or grind-it-out long, but the legs weren't feeling good with the lack of time on the bike this year.
The side effect of this was going into zombie mode and just pedaling until crossing the pipeline.
Other than pointing out the property recently purchased by Somerset County on Long Hill Road, I don't really remember any of it!
Great, 5 miles into a 60 mile ride, and I'm already out-of-it. We agreed that our pace was going to be social,
but I wasn't going to be able to talk while riding, and survive.

Of course the bomb down Long Hill was interrupted by a car pulling out in front of us. Plenty of time to slow down before running up behind them.
Make the turn onto Wertzville Road, and there is an ambulance with a couple riders and an upside down bike.
Checked in and they said they'd be ok - well that set the mood. Other than a route change in the Amwell Valley that caught me,
it was smooth sailing to our food stop around mile 26.

View attachment 138849

Just a breathtaking view of one of the many Hunterdon County farms. This one is just outside of Sergeantsville.

View attachment 138848

Crossing through Sergeantsville took our ride down along Lower Creek Road - This road should be included on any Hunterdon County ride.
Enjoying the scenery, we didn't take any pictures! Hooked up with a few other riders on the loop climbing away from the creek.
I was still being anti-social, but the scenery was bringing me out a bit. Feeling pretty good, and getting some cooperation from traffic on 523,
we were able to take the lane for a left hand turn, and got everyone through - that 30 seconds or so reminded me what a it feels like to group ride.
We still aren't going to do any type of pace line, because of C19, but the adrenaline of working 20+mph with the cars,
and the safety of multiple riders in the balance, yeah.

It kinda snapped me out of zombie mode as we worked our way back towards Ringoes. This got me rolling a bit faster than our casual pace,
but still not pressing - cause had to make it back! I knew we were doing the Linvale climb, which is short, but gets steep.
Climbing felt good, even after my legs hinted of cramping. Never happened!

We regrouped before Snydertown, and stuck together up Rileyville to Ridge. Ridge is one of my favorite roads in the area.
It is 1 mile or smooth road, with minimal grade changes. It goes by effortlessly. We climb up Lindbergh to Long Hill, and it is all downhill from there.
A nice easy pedal brings us home.

A great ride on a beautiful day with some good folks.
I'll apologize for the lack of pictures - we have a few, but no group shot, and they just aren't that interesting.
Except for Mare on her gravel bike - thank you to the organizers for putting in Dogwood Dr -
otherwise those plush tires might not have gotten their play time!

View attachment 138852
For someone not riding a lot of endurance miles that’s a great result. 💪🏻

Top Bottom