Clean Start

Sourland Spectacular Redux

My tri club posted-up that they were going to do the 60 mi spectacular loop yesterday (9/12)
Again I was hesitant, but figured I'd go get my ass kicked 8:30 start again! The group was coming down from
north Jersey (yes, some actually north of rt 80)

I roll into the HS parking lot around 8:00, with beautiful blue skies and low-60s weather.
It is going to be a top-10 weather day!

Only difference with prep from last week was adding an extra battery cause I forgot to charge up the drivetrain.

People start rolling in and readying for the ride. Around 8:35, we are ready to roll out, and boom! One of the guys
looks down, and his derailleur is in his spokes! It was a strange break, the "knuckle" broke, and a piece was missing!
The bike is upright in his car, so hard to tell what happened. No pit bike, so off we go as a group of 7 at 8:45.

I feel good right out of the gate - probably because less blimp-like after 5 days of healthier eating in
reasonable quantities, and only having 1 beer and a glass of wine during the week.
We quickly crest Long Hill, and descend into the Amwell valley.
We are loosely drafting but not pushing the pace too much.
One of the rival local tri teams, TMB, goes by in the other direction!
TMB stands for Try My Bags, it is advertising for the founder's company!

We hit the 202 crossing (~16mi/1 hour) and I'm feeling really good!
Yard road is always fun - couple of serious turns, but can keep the speed up - good farm views!
A quick right, and we are at rt 523 heading back towards Flemington. The left onto Dogwood Dr,
which I mentioned in the last recap was chip-sealed, is coming. I'm out front and brief the group.
No traffic, so we make the left - the next thing you know my front tire is washing out, I've got it,
but i'm heading towards the stop sign! I should have just ridden out onto the grass, but no!
I want to stay on the road, and realize i'm not going to make it.
Pull the eject button, and go for a roll in the street. It wasn't the most graceful roll, but it works.
My thigh has some road rash, and I jammed the middle finger on my right hand.
Bike is....well the rear wheel is rubbing. Just eyeballing it something is off.
Unlock the QR, and it settles back in the drops. Whew! Back on the bike and up we go.
Scratched my match-matchy sun glasses.....

Water stop! Getting ready for the group pic
View attachment 139222

Bathroom stop in Ringoes - I squashed a lantern fly.

View attachment 139224

A little of the spirit left me, but still riding ok. Kept on it back through Sergeantsville, and down to Lower Creek road.
We are about 2.5 hours in, and the legs are weakening on the climbs. I'm now 1 of 2 off the back, so we are chatting.
Doug is a new rider, and this is his longest ride to date. The group easy pedals after the climb and we re-group.
The rest of the climbs go like this until we are on top of the ridge again. My legs want to cramp climbing Linvale,
but I spin through it. 9 miles to go I'm getting a bit of a second wind, so try to keep the power up on Featherbed and Ridge,
then the climb up Lindbergh to Long Hill. Where did everyone go?

Lori got a flat - and I got a bit to far ahead to hear them call. I was waiting to ride back with everyone at the corner,
when a few came up to let me know what happened and they might need to be picked-up - cause having trouble getting the tire off.

We push it down hill to the HS, and I'm feeling spent as we make the last turn, and bring it home.

Right on time, I get the low battery warning from my drivetrain.

Wrap it up, and drink an adult bev in a HS parking lot. #notSmart #someThingsDonnotChange
Don't mind the finger.

View attachment 139223

Got home - I quashed a lantern fly (split with spouse of course)

View attachment 139225

I've got a ways to go to get back to where I was in March - but what else is there to do!
Well, riding a mountain bike sounds like an excellent option today and/or tomorrow!

Should've done the croton climb instead! Still want to know where these fake water stations were. 🤨

water was at the church - there was a hose, with a foot pedal.

Was it in the handwashing station? That and portapotties were all that I saw. No signs or anything, I wasn't going to spend time searching all over so took off after less than 1 minute

Was there a sign somewhere saying go in there? I do recall seeing an arrow in a strange place that seemed to go to someone's driveway but I thought it moved by a car tire. Eh in any event I had enough water to get to the "start" in montgomery. Good thing it wasn't hot

Couple of orange cones - it had a sign that it was a church. bigger than normal parking lot.
might look more like a daycare.

8 days 10 lbs.

figuring a couple lbs of water, a couple lbs actually lost, and the rest is the stress I was putting on my digestive system.
(yes, i am full of sh*t)

1600255446139.png

Just pounding down food all day because the fridge is there was a bad idea.
Why is there a d in frige? there is no d in refrigerator or frigid.
I'd go with no trailing e, frig, but that means something else. o_O
Lots of other good things happening, like my clothes suddenly fit around my waist.

1600255912537.png

Sure, I'm a little hungry at times, but it passes. Drinking plenty of water.

Getting some rides in. Really enjoyed getting out last night with @Mare45 - we hit some secondary roads and gravel in the RV area.
Think I'll look into getting plusher tires for the CX bike. My arms and shoulders feel a bit beat-up today after graveling my evo on 23mm tires @110psi
The superX has 25mm gatorskins, and I never felt this beat-up, even after HOH. Wonder what I have for rim width, and tire clearance over there?

I was having culvert envy with that pipe!
There wasn't anymore around to commandeer. It is probably temporary, so i'll call dibs.

There wouldn't be a detour if there was a decent kicker. ;)

1600256427155.png

Last edited:
Are you sure about that?

which part?

The google says frige is spelt wrong. ;)
And that fridge is the correct clipping for refrigerator.

And you probably wouldn't catch me using the word frig.....
although i just found it as a possible alternative - shortening of the brand Frigidaire.

you know i'm OCD on this stuff :D
Did i just get baited?

8 days 10 lbs.

figuring a couple lbs of water, a couple lbs actually lost, and the rest is the stress I was putting on my digestive system.
(yes, i am full of sh*t)

View attachment 139451

Just pounding down food all day because the fridge is there was a bad idea.
Why is there a d in frige? there is no d in refrigerator or frigid.
I'd go with no trailing e, frig, but that means something else. o_O
Lots of other good things happening, like my clothes suddenly fit around my waist.

View attachment 139452

Sure, I'm a little hungry at times, but it passes. Drinking plenty of water.

Getting some rides in. Really enjoyed getting out last night with @Mare45 - we hit some secondary roads and gravel in the RV area.
Think I'll look into getting plusher tires for the CX bike. My arms and shoulders feel a bit beat-up today after graveling my evo on 23mm tires @110psi
The superX has 25mm gatorskins, and I never felt this beat-up, even after HOH. Wonder what I have for rim width, and tire clearance over there?

I was having culvert envy with that pipe!
There wasn't anymore around to commandeer. It is probably temporary, so i'll call dibs.

There wouldn't be a detour if there was a decent kicker. ;)

View attachment 139453
23's? You still ride a fat bike yet ride 23's on your roadie? FWIW, 28's, Conti Gran Pix 5000 TL will fit your EVO, the rear is close, but will work. You've seen me rip gravel and smooth single track on these...

23's? You still ride a fat bike yet ride 23's on your roadie? FWIW, 28's, Conti Gran Pix 5000 TL will fit your EVO, the rear is close, but will work. You've seen me rip gravel and smooth single track on these...

i haven't purchased tires in a long time.....:(

looks like i can go 35 on cx no problem.
i have kyserium race wheels - probably 17mm internal. too small?

Bike wash?

good idea. they get dirty if ya ride them.

it has a 38T small chainring, and a road cassette.
might be too much for me. although I think i mentioned after riding my cx bike through the winter (2014/15?)
i felt much stronger.

When I went out on Sunday, half the group has 12-34 cassettes on their road bikes.

Back
Top Bottom