Clean Start

Kindofa relief!

1582751500446.png

OK - got off to a good first week start and dropped some tonnage.
Then the basement flooded, and shit hit the fan, and some other stuff.
so almost back to where i was, but not quite.

@xc62701 - I'm at 185+ targeting 170 also. Let's go!
But don't weaken the immune system too much by starving. Not liking the long fast idea.
I may try no food after 8pm tho - so maybe 12 hour.. that was my goto schedule anyway.

What i did accomplish over the last couple weeks: coffee reduction. 2 cups, 3 if still home.
No espresso shot in the first. Back to eating a light breakfast - yogurt, or shake (mmm banana)

source.gif

I'm out for HOH - they'll probably cancel anyway. Had an event come up that i must attend
(small birthday party that will probably get cancelled also)

oh, saddle sore. yep, fml. i haven't even been riding, how does this happen?

Think i'm going to borrow @jdog's ebike and come up to wildcat wednesday and see how it goes for myself.
Maybe get/give a better perspective, and more informed description of what to expect.

website stuff is coming along. I'll be adding the data the everyone supplied very soon. Many thanks.
if anyone can do one more row, it would help. Also, should we add Stewart State Forest to the Trail Talk?
What about a Rockland/Orange County NY high level forum?

OK - got off to a good first week start and dropped some tonnage.
Then the basement flooded, and shit hit the fan, and some other stuff.
so almost back to where i was, but not quite.

@xc62701

oh, saddle sore. yep, fml. i haven't even been riding, how does this happen?

theres your answer, you didnt ride and then must have done a long ride with poor fitting shorts :shrug:

website stuff is coming along. I'll be adding the data the everyone supplied very soon. Many thanks.
if anyone can do one more row, it would help. Also, should we add Stewart State Forest to the Trail Talk?
What about a Rockland/Orange County NY high level forum?

ummm riding ares outside of NJ doesnt work anymore?!!?!?!?!?! or do you want a specific one inside of that, if so it could be NY, PA (maybe DE) and then a catch all for the rest . . . .

ummm riding ares outside of NJ doesnt work anymore?!!?!?!?!?! or do you want a specific one inside of that, if so it could be NY, PA (maybe DE) and then a catch all for the rest . . . .

more to catch the ones we ride regularly, sterling, stewart, blauvelt, anything new from Palisades that needs to be listed in NY,
then maybe some of the local PA stuff, Nox, Nesh, high rocks.

I just eliminated one that has had a bike ban on since 2009, nobody noticed! also corrected a spelling error...while i'm in there, it isn't hard to move things around. The real Q is would it go on top in North/south order, or would it go on the bottom, cause outside NJ? Or maybe a subsection of north?

overthinking it from the livingroom....

Last edited:
I took a shower today.

so you are thinking that should be on the regular rotation?

Usually is, but my how water heater got the covid (see DIY thread somewhere) and has
been on life support for the last couple weeks.
It is now a zombie, and will not shut off when the water is turned off - which a 140,000 BTU
burner really needs to do.

so i have it disconnected, but fired it up this morning for a round of showers, and washing the pans in the sink.
good news is the dishwasher, and clothes washer heat their own water. Anyway, new one ordered, will be here tomorrow.

-
Oh, and I was outside after working on the water heater and smelled gas! i ran inside to see if i had
cracked the flex hose, or if some other leak has sprung. No smell in the house. I walked over by the
meter, and it seemed to come from there. So i called PSE&G - the guy was here in 15 minutes.

He could smell it, walked around - probed the meter. Also did the soapy water test.
No joy.
We looked in the leaves for dead stuff, but that wasn't it either.
He looks over and says that the gas grill must be on.
Sure enough, when i moved the grill down to the new "grill zone" I must have bumped the knob.
The wind was just right to move it away from the grill, along the house, then upwards by the meter.
I'll take that result!

-

i have not gotten on the bike for a significant ride in 3 weeks.
I'm eating everything in sight!
Things are getting done around the house - this is good.
Haven't had a beer in 3 weeks - we are splitting a bottle of wine at happy hour/dinner (ok, sometimes a bit more)

I was feeling a bit edgy at the end of last week - doing a bit better now.
Maybe it was all the work High Tech was doing around the house?
Just all the people coming and going? I dunno, it came out great - their crew works hard.
I had met Bri (project foreman) at CR, when they were wheelbarrowing in 10 yards of crushed stone
onto the reroute out of the mudpit on upper blue. I'm thinking that was 18 months ago now - and that section rides
like it has always been there.

Anyway - i'm going to work around the house today, and maybe a bit at the condo.
Hopefully get some pictures.

Aforementioned grill zone. I have a larger table, might switch to that.

1587652281369.png

that piece of trim molding back there has been down for a couple years. maybe today's project!
Probably color match that conduit on the side of the house.

How to throw away money and justify it!

It could be a bike, but it isn't.

In 1996, we were converting our house from electric based appliances to gas. The previous homeowner had a gas line run when the new neighborhood went up - 1986 or so.What wasn't done was the water heater, clothes dryer, or cooktop. We took care of the cooktop and dryer rather quickly. The hot water, not so much.
On demand systems were just getting popular - but people complained that two showers at a time were impossible. We have a well, so a shower and brushing
teeth is a challenge.

We went with the Bosch Aquastar 125 in mid 1996. I bought it on-line! Easy enough to plumb-in on the concrete wall of the basement - put in a new thimble into the chimney, and away we go. Over the years, it has been reliable - battery ignition based on water flow via mechanical sensor and micro switch. The thermocouple, to sense the pilot light, died a couple times. NBD.

Well a couple weeks back, it wouldn't turn on. There was a leak that had left residue on the switch. I cleaned that up and got it to work. So fixing the leak seemed like a good idea. A rebuild kit was available for $70, which included a bunch of new seals, and internals. One seal for the starting pin (it sensed water flow) and one seal for the gas-rate pin - which varied the gas volume with water flow. Nice mechanical solution - the only electronics were "start pilot/ok, start burner/ok, turn off (no water, no burner, overheat)

Time for rebuild, and it is cruising along easy enough. Directions indicate to remove two screws, don't force them, call if they won't come out.
Well the leak was right on the screws - the rebuild kit replaces them with stainless. I'm in trouble. PB blaster, CLR, couple hours. even put in a call to @jklett !

The two right down the middle. This is after all the cleaning.

1588291068164.png

I emailed the technical line, and Terrance was very helpful, but basically said replace both the water and gas valves,
around $500 or buy a whole new water heater $630.

I figure i can live with the one i have for a bit - get it all fixed up, and adjusted. It is a slow leak, shouldn't be a problem.
Works for another week, and the water and build-up then ruins a lever in the microswitch - Another $100 part.
That seals the deal !

Terrance emails the installation requirements for the new unit.
The differences are:
3/4" gas line - i have 1/2, but the main is right there
3/4" water lines - I have 1/2, but it is only water
3" category 2 stainless vent, to code. (dedicated direct, horizontal vent in my case.) - i had 5" shared

OK -
gas line is a 10' pipe, Tee off the main, elbo, valve, another Tee, couple of nipples and a cap - and a new flex adapter. under $50
water - couple of CU pipes, some elbows, a tee. ($50) Oh, and the fancy isolation valves, with the ability to backwash the unit ($100)
Flue - pipe, thimble, elbo, termination, and 1 more pipe. ($180)

Here is how it goes.
Thursday, I order the unit - it shows up friday.
Friday i order the flue - it shows up monday
Monday i online order the pipe and pick it up tuesday.

1 - Monday - the thimble needs a 6" hole to pass through the side of the house. It is round - i don't have a 6" hole saw. $45
It works out ok. I center the hole from the inside , chip away some brick - mark it out to 6"+ and have at it with my
rotary hammer (in hammer mode) (there is no hammer-time emoji)
1588293503906.png
1588293654377.png

Of course i hit a nail on the way in - so the new saw just lost half its life. Oh, and if you've every used a large hole saw with a big drill, you'd know it wants to break your wrists. It took a bit, but got is done. And - it has to be 18" above the ground in NJ cause snow - gunna be close -

1588294093194.png

This isn't quite it. See, i thought the pipe attached to the little box was all i needed, but there needs to be another pipe,
which i ordered on tuesday, and had overnighted - $24 pipe $20 shipping

Tuesday: Ok, inside i go - I center up the unit on the wall under on the hole, making sure it was high enough up for the pipe to reach the elbow,
which makes the turn to outside -

1588294771193.png

Gas line is first - Well, removing the old one is first. But that was easy - shut down the boiler, and disconnect it.
These are custom length, so i get to use the pipe tools!

1588295114439.png

Other than my vice having a problem holding the pipe (i hammered it home!) this isn't a big deal.
So i run the pipe over to the wall and down. Attach the valve, a tee. drip end. I don't have the right adapter to go to the flex pipe.
On the list for tomorrow - more to do.
Leak test everything and restart the boiler.

Oh, I mis-measured from the main to the wall by 1/4" so i had to shave down one of the mounting blocks. Gotta love using another tool!

1588297943089.png

The 3/4" water feed is 20' away, but not in a straight line. So i pick up a roll of PEX - of course it is 100', so another $50 and i don't have a
3/4" crimp tool, so i pick up a couple sharkbites - $25. This was another trip to the store, cause i was going to hook up to the 1/2" feed already there but changed my mind.

Not bad - all hooked up - mounted to the wall - old 1/2 line is capped, but still feeds the local washing machine tap -

Wednesday - that extra pipe arrived, and I was able to finish-up outside. Sort of - i could shorten it - about 5" off the wall would do it. Did i mention i mis-cut the pipe too, so i have to order another one to make it perfect - but was able to make it work, just not optimal.

1588296640478.png

Time to run the hot water line, and realize i didn't get enough copper elbows, and the wrong tee for the washing machine feed.
It can wait.

Thursday (today!) - 1.5 days without hot water. Oh boy! So i have my list - some copper pieces, a couple more pipe hangers, and that gas pipe adapter. Off to Home Depot i do go! Figured I'd hook up the gas first - no reason, just to "complete" another part of the project - I go to attach it and it is the wrong size - no, not the adapter I just picked-up, the tee that I obtained through the Lowe's order-online/pu-in-store. He pulled the wrong one off the shelf, and i didn't notice - why? Cause they had missed a few items, and when the guy went to get them, one was wrong, so i still had to go get it myself. Also didn't notice that he gave me a damaged cu pipe - i worked around that.
Queue up another trip to HD for the right part. It is only $3, but the extra trip, the disassemble/reassemble - just painful.

The hot water side was uneventful - sweated that all in. flushed the system, and fired it up.
I took a shower, shaved (face & head), brushed my teeth.
Living like a king!

The PVC elbow should eventually be plumbed outside, because it could backdraft the boiler next to it.
It would also be more efficient - assuming it doesn't get a wasp nest in it.

1588298153392.png

Luckily, I didn't have to do any electrical work on this one.

So in the end, i could have had $600 worth of parts overnighted, slapped them into a box the next day and been done with it in a couple hours.
Instead it was a multi-day project and about $1100, and I still haven't paid for the permit. I'm not even sure what the process is with the covid.

Oh - one more thing - i shot a 5 second timelapse. I'll try to generate the vid - cause fun!

Last edited:

In 1996, we were converting our house from electric based appliances to gas. The previous homeowner had a gas line run when the new neighborhood went up - 1986 or so.What wasn't done was the water heater, clothes dryer, or cooktop. We took care of the cooktop and dryer rather quickly. The hot water, not so much.
On demand systems were just getting popular - but people complained that two showers at a time were impossible. We have a well, so a shower and brushing
teeth is a challenge.

We went with the Bosch Aquastar 125 in mid 1996. I bought it on-line! Easy enough to plum in on the concrete wall of the basement - put in a new thimble into the chimney, and away we go. Over the years, it has been reliable - battery ignition based on water flow via mechanical sensor and micro switch. The thermocouple to sense the pilot light dies a couple times. NBD.

Well a couple weeks back, it wouldn't turn on. There was a leak that had left residue on the switch. I cleaned that up and got it to work. So fixing the leak seemed like a good idea. There was a rebuild kit for $70 that came with a bunch of new seals, and internals. One that sealed the starting pin (it sensed water flow) and one that sealed the gas rate pin - which varied the gas volume with water flow. Nice mechanical solution - the only electronics were "start pilot/ok, start burner/ok, turn off (no water, no burner, overheat)

Time for rebuild, and it is cruising along easy enough. Directions indicate to remove two screws, don't force them, call if they won't come out.
Well the leak was right on the screws - the rebuild kit replaces them with stainless. I'm in trouble. PB blaster, CLR, couple hours. even put in a call to @jklett !

View attachment 127337

I emailed the technical line, and Terrance was very helpful, but basically said replace both the water and gas valves,
around $500 or buy a new one $630.

I figure i can live with the one i have for a bit - get it all fixed up, and adjusted. It is a slow leak, shouldn't be a problem.
Works for another week, and the water and build-up then ruin a lever in the microswitch - Another $100 part.
That seals the deal !

The differences are:
3" category 2 stainless vent, to code. (dedicated direct, horizontal vent in my case.) - i had 5" shared

OK -
gas line is a 10' pipe, Tee off the main, elbo, valve, another Tee, couple of nipples and a cap - and a new flex adapter. under $50
water - couple of CU pipes, some elbows, a tee. ($50) Oh, and the fancy isolation valves, with the ability to backwash the unit ($100)

Here is how it goes.

1 - Monday - the thimble needs a 6" hole to pass through the side of the house. It is round - i don't have a 6" hole saw. $45
It works out ok. I center the hole from the inside , chip away some brick - mark it out to 6"+ and have at it with my
View attachment 127341 View attachment 127342

Of course i hit a nail on the way in - so the new saw just lost half its life. Oh, and if you've every used a large hole saw with a big drill, you'd know it wants to break your wrists. It took a bit, but got is done. Oh - it has to be 18" above the ground in NJ cause snow - gunna be close -

View attachment 127344
This isn't quite it. See, i thought the pipe attached to the little box was all i needed, but there needs to be another pipe,

Tuesday: Ok, inside i go - I center up the unit on the wall under on the hole, making sure it was high enough up for the pipe to reach the elbow.

View attachment 127346

Gas line is first - Well, removing the old one is first. But that was easy - shut down the boiler, and disconnect it.

View attachment 127347

Other than my vice having a problem holding the pipe (i hammered it home!) this isn't a big deal.
So i run the pipe over to the wall and down. Attach the valve, a tee. drip end. I don't have the right adapter to go to the flex pipe.

Oh, I mis-measured by 1/4" so i had to shave down one of the mounting blocks. Gotta love using another tool!

View attachment 127365

The 3/4" feed is 20' away, but not in a straight line. So i pick up a roll of PEX - of course it is 100', so another $50 and i don't have a
3/4" crimp tool, so i pick up a couple sharkbites - $25. This was another trip to the store, cause i was going to hook up to the 1/2" feed already there but changed my mind.

Not bad - all hooked up - mounted to the wall - old 1/2 line is capped, but still feeds the local washing machine tap -

Wednesday - that extra pipe arrived, and I was able to finish-up outside. Sort of - i could shorten it - about 5" off the wall would do it. Did i mention i mis-cut the pipe too, so i have to order another one to make it perfect - but was able to make it work, just not optimal.

View attachment 127353

I go to run the hot water line, and realize i didn't get enough copper elbows, and the wrong tee for the washing machine feed.
It can wait.

Thursday (today!) - so 1.5 days without hot water. Oh boy! So i have my list - some copper pieces, a couple more pipe hangers, and that gas pipe adapter.
Figured i'd hook up the gas first - no reason, just to "complete" another part of the project - I go to attach it and it is the wrong size - no not the adapter I picked up, the Tee that I had the lowe's order-online/pu-in-store. He pulled the wrong one off the shelf, and i didn't notice - why? Cause when i was there, they had missed a few items, and when the guy went to get them, one was wrong, so i still had to go get it myself. While i was at it - i didn't notice he gave me a damaged cu pipe - i worked around that.
So now another trip to HD for the right - part. It is only $3, but the extra trip - just painful.

The hot water side was uneventful - sweated that all in. flushed the system, and fired it up.
Living like a king!

The PVC elbow should eventually be plumbed outside, because it could backdraft the boiler next to it.
It would also be more efficient too.

View attachment 127371

So in the end, i could have had $600 worth of parts overnighted, slapped them into a box the next day and been done with it in a couple hours.
Instead it was a multi-day project and about $1100, and I still haven't paid for the permit. I'm not even sure what the process is with the covid.

Oh - one more thing - i shot a 5 second timelapse. I'll try to generate the vid - cause fun!

I would have told my wife to start liking cold water

teeth is a challenge.

We went with the Bosch Aquastar 125 in mid 1996. I bought it on-line! Easy enough to plum in on the concrete wall of the basement - put in a new thimble into the chimney, and away we go. Over the years, it has been reliable - battery ignition based on water flow via mechanical sensor and micro switch. The thermocouple to sense the pilot light dies a couple times. NBD.

Well a couple weeks back, it wouldn't turn on. There was a leak that had left residue on the switch. I cleaned that up and got it to work. So fixing the leak seemed like a good idea. There was a rebuild kit for $70 that came with a bunch of new seals, and internals. One that sealed the starting pin (it sensed water flow) and one that sealed the gas rate pin - which varied the gas volume with water flow. Nice mechanical solution - the only electronics were "start pilot/ok, start burner/ok, turn off (no water, no burner, overheat)

View attachment 127337

around $500 or buy a new one $630.

Works for another week, and the water and build-up then ruin a lever in the microswitch - Another $100 part.
That seals the deal !

The differences are:

OK -

Here is how it goes.

View attachment 127341 View attachment 127342

Of course i hit a nail on the way in - so the new saw just lost half its life. Oh, and if you've every used a large hole saw with a big drill, you'd know it wants to break your wrists. It took a bit, but got is done. Oh - it has to be 18" above the ground in NJ cause snow - gunna be close -

View attachment 127344

Tuesday: Ok, inside i go - I center up the unit on the wall under on the hole, making sure it was high enough up for the pipe to reach the elbow.

View attachment 127346

View attachment 127347

Oh, I mis-measured by 1/4" so i had to shave down one of the mounting blocks. Gotta love using another tool!

View attachment 127365

The 3/4" feed is 20' away, but not in a straight line. So i pick up a roll of PEX - of course it is 100', so another $50 and i don't have a

View attachment 127353

I go to run the hot water line, and realize i didn't get enough copper elbows, and the wrong tee for the washing machine feed.
It can wait.

Thursday (today!) - so 1.5 days without hot water. Oh boy! So i have my list - some copper pieces, a couple more pipe hangers, and that gas pipe adapter.
Figured i'd hook up the gas first - no reason, just to "complete" another part of the project - I go to attach it and it is the wrong size - no not the adapter I picked up, the Tee that I had the lowe's order-online/pu-in-store. He pulled the wrong one off the shelf, and i didn't notice - why? Cause when i was there, they had missed a few items, and when the guy went to get them, one was wrong, so i still had to go get it myself. While i was at it - i didn't notice he gave me a damaged cu pipe - i worked around that.
So now another trip to HD for the right - part. It is only $3, but the extra trip - just painful.

Living like a king!

It would also be more efficient too.

View attachment 127371

wow ! That would have cost me about $4000 or whatever the going rate is for that to hire someone.
Good skilz!

wow ! That would have cost me about $4000 or whatever the going rate is for that to hire someone.
Good skilz!

Thanks - plumber would have gotten $2000+ for the labor, and finished in a day.
the venting is serious business, the rest is just plug and chug.

Had back spasms last night from working above my head, then low, and ladder work, and the rotary hammer.
That was pleasant!

I did get to learn about the venting system - i was expecting double wall, but because this is pressurized, the pieces
have a seal, and are clamped together - so single wall. It is also a condensing unit - which means if the vent had more than 1 turn to exit,
there would need to be a way to collect condensate from the vent. It is pitched so any condensate goes outside now.

i should have been a plumber. got the crack for it. :D

Just to make sure I got it right...did you just replaced your water heater because you could not remove the two screws rusted in place?

yes - i think that sums it up nicely.
so what i'm going to do now is go try to remove them before taking it to the junkyard, and they'll probably come right out.

Reactions: rlb
Nice work. Wanted to do this at my old house, but water heater never went, so it never happened. Plus the vents would have been more complicated.

Clean and professional (why no spin copper pipe to hide UPC code? Worst part about box store plumbing)

That a HF threader? One of the tips I use is to take a bigger pipe wrench and hang it opposite of the work, while in the vice. Helps it not to spin in the direction you thread.

Last edited:
I think you made the right call replacing it after 24 years of service, lol. I've been thinking of converting to endless as our tank is getting old, just haven't wanted to do all that work too make it happen, lol. Maybe I should start now and work on it a little at a time so that it's ready by the time my tank goes bad, lol.

why no spin copper pipe to hide UPC code?

i didn't think of that! A couple of the elbows had the sticker on them, and it burnt up on re-entry. of course they are facing out, so looks crappy.
I like when they put a label on a surface that needs to be joined.

It is the HF kit. I don't do it enough to justify anything better.
Good idea on the pipe wrench - The vice has a pipe clamp, but it is a cheap vice!

Back
Top Bottom