Clean Start

Do auto parts stores still sell ether?
Car you run your truck and put cables on the boat battery to give it some more current?

i have starter spray around - i disconnected the fuel line and attempted to prime it, but didn't work.
It wasn't winterized - I'll pull the pump apart after getting everything going. there is a service kit for $13,
new pump was $38. for the same price, i could have grabbed an electric - then obsessed over the fittings, and routing.

Jumped it to the car - about the same crank speed. big marine battery, voltage checked-out ok.
Don't recall it spinning any faster than what is shown -

I also thought it was throttle body injection, but that is a carb. $150 - I got one coming, hopefully don't need it.
Current one is pretty crusty tho.

aef8bedf-e637-4692-8fa8-e23e49f782b3_text.gif

And it sounds like it has compression.

@Patrick have you pulled the plugs and squirted anything in the cylinders?

replaced the plugs - probably should have put some mystery oil in there so they wouldn't run dry.
i have a video of shooting air in the spark plug well before removal - big cloud of dust!

Topside Sump Pump for changing the oil -

1658789554771.png

There is an actual tool to do this, which we have, but....

1658789597148.png

at least we are consistent

i mean the real question is how the hell do you not know the answer to your own question? isnt overthinking and analyzing this stuff your specialty?

good point.
OTOH i have a perfectly good vac pump as pictured.
took a while sucking cold/old oil through a 3/32 line.....but it got done.

i mean based on that second picture it kinda looks like something is broken, but wth do i know . . .

i mean based on that second picture it kinda looks like something is broken, but wth do i know . . .

That was the mercury specific pump - there is a hose thread attachment on the dipstick tube.
about 2 seconds into this vid you can see it just below the yellow dipstick.

This is the vid where i blow the crap out of the spark plug well.

I used a generic vac sump. which i like better cause the fluid doesn't go through the valves,
and is self contained (meaning i can't spill it in the boat.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom