Clean Start

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Can you say Super Spreader Event?

Kids are all OK. The old people are getting by. Just found out my cousin is quarantining at his shore house.
Might need to make sure he is ok.

serviceguy

Sonofa...

View attachment 193456

Tooka couple days to test positive. I've had a headache, but i attributed that to alcohol combined with dehydration. Body started to hurt, but attruted that to moving some tree trunks. Fatigue, well you see me posting at 3am, so I'm always tired. Throat and stomach issues started and today was the day.

So far just feel sucky as outlined above. It hurts to cough. Now to tell everyone at the 80th birthday I went to on Saturday.
Bummer, sorry to hear that. I had the same start, two negative tests before the sweats and a positive. I di not experience any ache though. Hopefully it's not going to be a big deal. We're still coughing a little but not much worse than a cold. Get better soon.

qclabrat

Can you say Super Spreader Event?

Kids are all OK. The old people are getting by. Just found out my cousin is quarantining at his shore house.
Might need to make sure he is ok.
heal up Pat, I took a test after this weekend as I was out and about a lot. Also have terrible lower back aches the past week and forgot to take my allergy meds today. Seems head aches are the commonality for most, which I don't have. But going to be conservative and skip seeing my parent and granny this weekend.

Patrick

Staff member
Checking in, how are you?
Thanks for checking Leo!

Stuffy sinus, itchy throat, a little brain fog, gi issues, and light body aches. Not horrible, just "off".

Good news is wife & kid avoided it.

I'll probably piddle around the house today.

8 hours of fishing the last two. Luckily I didn't catch anything big!

rick81721

Lothar
Well - I don't think it is going to make it over to the boat thread.....

b9c08aaa-3569-404d-af96-a0e1f5de6ad4_text.gif

JerseyPete

You know we are still in this and curious. Did you pull the valve cover off (assuming it's push rod and rocker arm) and see if the valve is sticking? Whack it with a hammer?

Patrick

Staff member
Damn shame. It was cleaning up nice for a while there.
Pull the head just for the hell of it and see what's what? I know, it is an extra 2 hours of time that you may not get back.

with a bit more looking, i can get into a head and gaskets for $400.
I'd do it, if my nephew commits to doing it. He could use a project (rising senior in HS doing auto votech)

Would he do the floor? Could i convince @jklett to become a partner and do the floor?
again, if the boat is only worth $3-4k, I'm not sure we are going down the right path.
another would find a blown motor sea ray, and fix/transplant.

i dunno. i'm thinking 🔥

JerseyPete

I'm thinking along the lines of what won't cost money, but cost time and give you some go/no go answers without opening the wallet.
Is this the nephew that you gave a car a while back? Good that he has interest in turning wrenches. Good that you can provide something for him to tear into.

Patrick

Staff member
I'm thinking along the lines of what won't cost money, but cost time and give you some go/no go answers without opening the wallet.
Is this the nephew that you gave a car a while back? Good that he has interest in turning wrenches. Good that you can provide something for him to tear into.

I'm supporting his corvair habit. thermostats are next.

Certainly tearing it down is worth it - maybe someone will pay $100 for a core that isn't cooked?

if he wants to give it a go, i'll fund it. Gotta commit tho. I know we can bring it to the school shop.
Not sure if it needs to be on a stand or just roll the boat in.

Patrick

Staff member
Good that you can provide something for him to tear into.

Holy hell - he is either very smart or very lazy.
Wants to know why we don't just get a new engine! Wasn't interested in tearing it down.
I got a feeling it just looked so different than what he's worked on, that he couldn't see a path.
I'm going to grab the casting numbers off the head today, do some research, then we'll see.
I should really let it go.

JerseyPete

Holy hell - he is either very smart or very lazy.
Wants to know why we don't just get a new engine! Wasn't interested in tearing it down.
I got a feeling it just looked so different than what he's worked on, that he couldn't see a path.
I'm going to grab the casting numbers off the head today, do some research, then we'll see.
I should really let it go.
Before you toss it all, I would want to see if the intake valve on cylinder #1 is stuck or just not seated properly from sitting so long. It has some compression so it's not like a hole in the piston or bent valve. Do you think it is a head gasket?
Keep in mind it is real easy for me to suggest things when it is not sitting in my driveway!!

Patrick

Staff member
Before you toss it all, I would want to see if the intake valve on cylinder #1 is stuck or just not seated properly from sitting so long. It has some compression so it's not like a hole in the piston or bent valve. Do you think it is a head gasket?
Keep in mind it is real easy for me to suggest things when it is not sitting in my driveway!!

my guess would be rust on the seat.
I'm still perplexed at it not at least making more "starting noises" when cranking.
or running like crap and backfiring.

Top Bottom