Clean Start

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
First time at Six Mile Run in a long time!

Got on the trail around 7:30 for a canal side tm loop. maybe 3 cars in the parking lot.

Solid conditions throughout the park. The fatbike wants to follow the ruts, hopefully they get ridden out.

Anywho, was on a TM mission, and took out anything that looked like it could hang ya (grape vines near/across the trail) or impale ya.
There were a ton of impalers. also tried to clear anything that a drivetrain might ingest to the detriment of someone's wallet.

there was one 4" tree down across the trail, with 1" sticks built-up as a ramp. I removed it. it just needed to be dragged off-trail.

Even down near the metal bridge is firming up.
Bridge needs a new surface - wonder if that is on the park's plan?

I always liked this perspective on the brook turning the corner just after the iron bridge.

IMG_3252.JPG

The rose whips are starting!! we will need a clipper brigade to stay on them. Anyone that can get out there and cut them back
off the trail (or down to the ground) - please do it!

Most of the people going by me asked if they could help, or said thank you. That was nice.

Approaching the Jacques lot, I could here the hound dogs howling. A rabbit went screaming by, and 10 seconds later
the hounds were on the trail - sniffing around. I had to stop and watch them work! Totally ignored me, and when they
finally caught the rabbit's scent again, they let out a howl, and restarted pursuit.

Getting back to the lot a little after 10:00, it was in overflow mode. There was a good vibe going tho,
not many people arriving, and a good crowd with music, bikes, and kids getting ready to ride.
They were setting up for a group shot.

IMG_3253.JPG

Was feeling pretty stoked about all the hard work the @jdog has put in. That vision, with the countless hours of volunteer work,
and monetary support of the community, has made 6MR a special place which so many enjoy.

And finally, @rlb - i rode the new section slowly off rabbit run. A connector to cut off the parking lot is also getting some traffic
by the looks of the burn-in. I also followed an old cut off, and it almost makes it back onto the new stuff.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2272252061

new cut through @2:09:31
new red trail section @2:13:08 - it is blazed with an arrow.
@2:14:37 it touches rabbit run, and goes back into the woods. (red velvet)

Go get it!

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
So here we are, 2.5 weeks post half-marathon.

The race recap on the half, I did well for 9 miles and limped in. Went way too hard on the uphills
in the beginning of the race, and it cost me later. Still finished under 2 hours, which is kinda the goal,
but was thinking sub 1:55, closer to 1:50. Then i make the mistake of not taking proper recovery
drinks, and managed about 4 days of ache, until i realized I hadn't returned enough salt or electrolytes.
Still, the week after was a waste - cause of fatigue.

The following week, i'm feeling a bit better. This is leading into Mooch. I hadn't decided which
class to run. Boom, i'm sick. Chills, fever, night sweats. I'm in bed at 6pm until after 6am 3 days in a row.
i don't feel so bad during the day, but am totally wiped out at night.
Feeling a bit better on Thursday, I take @KZ to mooch, so she can decide if she wants to race.
Since she is deep in training for an ironman, her fitness level is great, but she needs to be
very cautious to avoid injury. So we take our time around the loop - and decide she shouldn't race
until afterwards. she may be a monster at the endurance event.

So i'm feeling very flat, and still haven't decided about mooch. It will have to be a game-time decision.
All these things in my head - Sean said to hang with him on endurance, and we are about the same speed,
so that would work. I wanted to ride the fatbike, but wanted be in a classified race. Also considered
the open 55+ class - but ya never know who is going to show up for that. So i decide to race the middle-age-crisis group
in cat 2 45+. Show up around 10:30 for a 12:00 start. mingle a bit, sign in. warm-up.
So i'm thinking why am i doing this. excuse.excuse.excuse.

So we line up, and I say hello to a few people. Trash talk @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST a bit to get him
riled up. The waves start going, and up we go. i'm with the group, but almost last into the single track.
Probably a horrific idea. With the slip and slime, everything is easily ridden on the fatty. I'm perfectly dressed
with sleeves and everything - comfortable. Then the conga line starts. I know and can ride all the lines
on that course, unless someone is standing in them. "I'm still on the bike" didn't help, and no need to get nuts.
so i pick off a person here or there. My class, the younger cat 2 wave in front of us. Then the even younger group.
after half a lap, it starts to clear, and there is some racing going on for mid-pack finishes.

Then all of the sudden i'm alone again. Crickets! SO i just pedal, and try to stay on the bike.
holy crap i'm catching a person here or there. on the uphill or tech anyway. I got crushed on the dh
with the rigid fatty. plus i suck at dh. Ride a bit with little Vreeland, and he is riding clean,
didn't really see anyone else after hitting the short track section. Rolled in behind EV for a
solid 9 orf 16 finish - 13 minutes back. With someone to race constantly, I could trim 5 or 6?
So wasn't going to be near the pointy end anyways.

Here is the funny part. If i raced fatbike or 55+ i would have taken 3rd in either. Only beaten by cat 1 racers.
(Ara doesn't have a designation, but damn!) - so i'm happy that, even feeling like crap leading into the race.
I'm still having "issues"

Anyway, it was a great event, lots of buzz. Food was a good idea. course was in great shape, even with a little
"slick" to it. Weather is just weather. See you on Saturday next year (hint)

Madness.jpg

Patrick

Staff member
I'll throw in one more note of inspiration.
Was looking at the Schilling Rock pics that just went up in @MissJR's Mooch photo thread.

The Rock is about half-way through the lap ?? give or take. And it is a climb to get there.
Feeling like crap as I went by on lap 1, those simple words Chris would use as encouragement
popped into my head.

You've got this.

Any thoughts of not finishing were erased immediately. Relatively fast or slow, racing is going to hurt.
I accepted it, and pushed on, then said Thanks as I raced by on lap 2.

Thanks again Chris. @Schilling

Short track 2015...
1556808132661.png

Last edited:

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
So here we are, 2.5 weeks post half-marathon.

The race recap on the half, I did well for 9 miles and limped in. Went way too hard on the uphills
in the beginning of the race, and it cost me later. Still finished under 2 hours, which is kinda the goal,
but was thinking sub 1:55, closer to 1:50. Then i make the mistake of not taking proper recovery
drinks, and managed about 4 days of ache, until i realized I hadn't returned enough salt or electrolytes.
Still, the week after was a waste - cause of fatigue.

The following week, i'm feeling a bit better. This is leading into Mooch. I hadn't decided which
class to run. Boom, i'm sick. Chills, fever, night sweats. I'm in bed at 6pm until after 6am 3 days in a row.
i don't feel so bad during the day, but am totally wiped out at night.
Feeling a bit better on Thursday, I take @KZ to mooch, so she can decide if she wants to race.
Since she is deep in training for an ironman, her fitness level is great, but she needs to be
very cautious to avoid injury. So we take our time around the loop - and decide she shouldn't race
until afterwards. she may be a monster at the endurance event.

So i'm feeling very flat, and still haven't decided about mooch. It will have to be a game-time decision.
All these things in my head - Sean said to hang with him on endurance, and we are about the same speed,
so that would work. I wanted to ride the fatbike, but wanted be in a classified race. Also considered
the open 55+ class - but ya never know who is going to show up for that. So i decide to race the middle-age-crisis group
in cat 2 45+. Show up around 10:30 for a 12:00 start. mingle a bit, sign in. warm-up.
So i'm thinking why am i doing this. excuse.excuse.excuse.

So we line up, and I say hello to a few people. Trash talk @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST a bit to get him
riled up. The waves start going, and up we go. i'm with the group, but almost last into the single track.
Probably a horrific idea. With the slip and slime, everything is easily ridden on the fatty. I'm perfectly dressed
with sleeves and everything - comfortable. Then the conga line starts. I know and can ride all the lines
on that course, unless someone is standing in them. "I'm still on the bike" didn't help, and no need to get nuts.
so i pick off a person here or there. My class, the younger cat 2 wave in front of us. Then the even younger group.
after half a lap, it starts to clear, and there is some racing going on for mid-pack finishes.

Then all of the sudden i'm alone again. Crickets! SO i just pedal, and try to stay on the bike.
holy crap i'm catching a person here or there. on the uphill or tech anyway. I got crushed on the dh
with the rigid fatty. plus i suck at dh. Ride a bit with little Vreeland, and he is riding clean,
didn't really see anyone else after hitting the short track section. Rolled in behind EV for a
solid 9 orf 16 finish - 13 minutes back. With someone to race constantly, I could trim 5 or 6?
So wasn't going to be near the pointy end anyways.

Here is the funny part. If i raced fatbike or 55+ i would have taken 3rd in either. Only beaten by cat 1 racers.
(Ara doesn't have a designation, but damn!) - so i'm happy that, even feeling like crap leading into the race.
I'm still having "issues"

Anyway, it was a great event, lots of buzz. Food was a good idea. course was in great shape, even with a little
"slick" to it. Weather is just weather. See you on Saturday next year (hint)

View attachment 94354
Nice recap Pat. Was good to see you there. Great bike choice for the conditions that day.

Patrick

Staff member
i know some of you have an idea what i did for a living when it had to do with computers.
This is the ethical dilemma that has evolved from the work.

in reality, the system will not work without all(most of) the data. there is no way to get a subpoena to only look at the suspect data,
because those are the outliers.
the non-suspect data eliminates itself, and reveals the bad operators. they don't listen to the voice of the calls, just the
data on origin, destination, time, date, duration, location (as reported by the cell tower, or land line)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-documents-reveal-more-overcollection-by-nsa-phone-data-program/

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
PARTY!

Hey all - Quick invitation to anyone that is looking for something to do on the 4th of July -
Open house - my place. 1:00 until the fireworks display is over. (around 9:45) - pool, volleyball (maybe)
other yard games. Kid friendly. Dog friendly (if they won't chase my cats too much)

Bring a dish of something to share, and you favorite beverage to trade/drink.

Someone could organize a road ride out through the sourlands out of my place in the morning.....

PS - if i don't recognize you without your bike, sorry......:D

Last edited:

Roadie

PARTY!

Hey all - Quick invitation to anyone that is looking for something to do on the 4th of July -
Open house - my place. 1:00 until the fireworks display is over. (around 9:45) - pool, volleyball (maybe)
other yard games. Kid friendly. Dog friendly (if they won't chase my cats too much)

Bring a dish of something to share, and you favorite beverage to trade/drink.

Someone could organize a road ride out through the sourlands out of my place in the morning.....

PS - if i don't recognize you without your bike, sorry......:D

I can lead a road ride from Pat’s place Thursday morning if anyone is interested. Post up here if you want to ride. Probably will be 30-40 miles. Not too fast (cuz I am slow!)

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
Had big plans last night - my son was umpiring a game out of White Oak Park in Branchburg - this is the launching point for many road rides by the MAFW and PFW. I had to drop him off at 5:45 for 6:00 start, pick-up around 7:45. Perfect, except.

I haven't been on the EVO since April, and it still had the gatorskins on it from HOH. A bunch of weeks ago, I put the mavic tires back on (came with the rims, figured i'd try them) - but failed to charge the batteries, so no ride. It is getting to be time to leave, so i go to pump up the tires, and the front has a flat, like the air comes out as fast as it goes in. Grab another tube, shove it in, and it is flat too. not in the same spot, no sign of sharp edges. it isn't a new tube, so not concerned, but it is getting late. Put in 3rd tube, again not new - also flat. OK, out of time. Grab the winter wheel from the cx bike (which now has the gatorskin) - pump it, all good. But now we are late.

Kit on (WW kit, just in case i see someone) - head out. 3 minutes out of the house, i realize i forgot my road shoes. Great. I run trail spd on the roadie, and the mtb shoes are in the car. Not optimal, i'll live. Drop the kid at 3 minutes to 6:00. Go to grab my helmet, and realize I left the road helmet on the table, along with front blinkie, and matchy sunglasses. OK, mtb helmet in the car, just take the visor off.

So now i have the slow front wheel, overweight shoes when it is 90f+ outside, and the heavy, black helmet. Plus it is now after 6:00.
I was planning the RV/Cokesbury/Rockaway loop, about 30 miles. Get out to the RV earth dam, just past the boat launch and see storm clouds in the west. I'm still on track, and drop into Lebanon for a quick weather check. Looks like the thunderstorms are coming, and I get a txt from the boy that the game is almost over.
Mission aborted, zip back to the parking lot. Since children can not wait 10 minutes, he calls his mother to pick him up.

It never rained. I didn't need to hurry back.

Classic.

On the flip side, it felt good to be on the roadie, even if i couldn't sustain any efforts.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2538462767

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
Solo at the Sourlands

The kid was umpiring down at Mountain View Park, so I had 90ish minutes to ride!

Planned to do my regular ride up the left side to get to chunky monkey, loop back around and do the red trail up top,
then come back down the pipeline. Was watching @JimN on the fatbike yesterday, body position, and weight transfer - so put some of
those visual cues to work today. Turned out to help quite a bit. Still couldn't get into the nemesis rocks, but did clean area between the first bridge and the boardwalk
coming from the pipeline on the old trail (middle red?). couple of sections that look like this.

1564247120397.png

so i'm feeling pretty good about the riding today - hopping up on the rocks, and dealing with the alternate lines. Going along the old trail, there is a spot where a tree fell a bunch of years back, leaving an opening in the canopy. The weeds grow, well, like weeds there. I know there is a small tree across the trail in one spot, and manage to spot it. a bit farther along, boom, i'm over the bars. I don't remember this one, and it doesn't look recent, but it was not visible.....

1564248209059.png

so cut back the weeds - and put it on my todo list. Continuing on.....

Love this one rock-obstacle (rockstacle?) on red - it is an alternate line - required climbing a face, then either rolling down/up or bridging(?) over to the next rock.
i'm not good at keeping the front up that long, so down/up it is. piece of cake on the tallboy - buried the front twice on the fatbike, but got it on the third time.
here is a crappy picture of the low transition. as usual, it is much steeper than it looks.

1564249252317.png

Lots of people there today - One hiker said she knew people rode there, but never sees them. This was down in maple flats.
Most people waved me through after stopping - I think they just wanted to see someone ride that crap.

Made it to the troll bridge twice, and got stuck in the same place. i keep looking down at the root, instead of past it. maybe next time.

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
Since I spent 5.5 hours riding around mooch at Lucky's Revenge, i figured 6 hours at cathedral pines should be a piece of pie!

So i signed up - cause i've never done it before, and looks like it is going away. Hopefully they bring it back every 5 years or so..
People talk so fondly of the crazy mooch races - always wondered if bringing it back every so often would draw enough attention
to make it worth doing....anyway, that's for another discussion.

I've had nothing on the calendar all year. Sort of.
Thought I was going to be out of town for Lucky's - so no real training for that.
No marathons or ironman type things made the list.
I'll support a cx race or two, but just to participate. I seem to hurt myself every time i try to do the cx thing.

So here we are - about 10 weeks out from an endurance race. I'd like to do well, which to me is stay on the bike for the whole six+ hours.

I weigh about 20lbs more than my low, and 10lbs more than i like. The beer has been good, and the rides have been few/short.

So here we go.

186 on the scale this morning -> Goal 170
15 hours a week training - which will look something like my marathon training.
Get the hardtail working (although fat bike in 29+ mode might work too)
Hope i can make it on race day, cause ya never know.

Ride along and keep me motivated!

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I love the vibe at 6Hrs@CP! It’s business at the pointy end and the party grows the closer you get to the caboose. :) At my last time @ CP the goal each lap was to find Shoogs n crew out on the course. All I can say is... it was a very “social ride”. If you know Shoogs, you know what I mean. :)

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
If Allaire and sixmile had a baby.... it would be CP. I’ve done it on a fatbike, a rigid SS and a geared HT. Just about anything will work here. Don’t fret over the bike. :)

Top Bottom