Clean Start

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
plus you can ride mtn bikes guilt free all summer long . . . . whats that worth to you?

wait, you do still own mountain bikes right?

this could justify not running by itself....
and yes, i have 2 working, and 2 in-transition mtbs right now.....assuming the fatbike is a sub-category of mtb...

serviceguy

not sure how i feel about this....
=========================

Dear patrick,
We thank you for your application to the drawing for the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon. Unfortunately, you were not one of the runners selected for this year's race.

I would feel great about it, I hate running for the sake of running! And it's bad on your joints (unlike pedaling).

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
go run a 5k race against people - use that as your fitness number, then find the training paces. if you are using your goal paces and hitting them
you are already there!!!

Picked up @Leftymuk's Carbon Alaskan rolling frame. added some bits from my garage pile, pulled the brakes off the tallboy.
25lbs.

View attachment 87444
Liking the fat bike. What wheel set are you running?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
did you find the pace calculator? you crushed the fartleks!
this one is interesting - you can put in a race result and get predictions for longer races - and training paces.
https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/

---

Went to cush today with the new fatbike. I'm not sure what was going on, but this thing felt fast - blasts through the rocks, good on the dh,
a little self-steer, but easy enough to correct. PR'd all the segments - the one i didn't had a tree down across it that need a dismount and climb-over,
and i dabbed in the upper rockgarden - spaced out on my line - and came in 20 seconds back of my pr - so i'm sure i would have crushed it.

Anyway, get to the top and start down into RV, and hit a rock which bottomed my ass out on the seat and stripped one of the saddle clamp bolts!
just enough that i didn't want to keep going, so flipped around and came back down to the lot. Bike has something going on in one of the middle gears,
will look at that later, otherwise shifting is spot-on (gx11). brakes work fine (sram level tlm) -

couple of other little items - the grip clamps are a little loose - this was intentional, so i could find the right spot for the heal support.
need to tighten them up - and the downshift lever is a little high (matchmaker setup)

Great first ride - since i couldn't make stephens, decided to support OOS locally...
(someone turn on the pretty filter please.)

View attachment 87418
Mid gear Sram issue, switched back to shimano because no one could get it right. I had GX with XX shifter. The BS plastic b-tension adjustment tool didn't help either.

qclabrat

I love the look of that bike! I gotta get out to round valley for a ride one of these days. Two of my sister's live within 5 minutes of there, can't believe I haven't been there to ride yet.
I'll have to find some 5 and 10k's to get some official race times up.
you should start a training blog, I'd like to see your approach to the big race

Mahnken

you should start a training blog, I'd like to see your approach to the big race
I thought about it, but I don't really have an approach yet. Following a Strava plan for the half marathon, not sure what to do for the full yet. Just planning on a lot of running until it's time to start another plan 16 weeks out or so. This week and last week have been crap, last Wednesday I got a gastrointestinal bug that had me puking for 24 hours, on top of a sinus infection that's been brewing for two weeks, just finally started antibiotics yesterday got that. My 2 year old has the same gastrointestinal bug as I did on Friday, and he's been dealing with sinus issues for two weeks as well, lol. Pediatrician didn't want to start him on antibiotics yet, she thinks we just keep passing a cold to each other. And the 2 month old is still on a 2 hour sleep cycle at night. Hopefully I get back on the training plan today.

Patrick

Staff member
posted my 1,000th activity to strava today.

Activity count:1,000
Total dist:14,694 mi
Total elev:787,277 ft
Total time:1492:10:00
Total kcal:726,116

ride was right on my ftp number according to the zwifter - which wasn't bad, given i felt like crap.
i couldn't answer an attack with 5km to go from one guy, but managed to hold off one of the others within 500m of the top of a 20+minute climb.
that was fun!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does this activity total both indoor/outdoor
Does it seperate the 2
This maybe where I would get pissy over activity/ distance/ elevation totals.

But since I dont strava anymore IDrGF

Patrick

Staff member
Does this activity total both indoor/outdoor
Does it seperate the 2
This maybe where I would get pissy over activity/ distance/ elevation totals.

But since I dont strava anymore IDrGF

I can split out the trainer. All the graphs I look at are hours based. Then I don't need to break out by running, trainer, mtb, and road miles.

This is all done on Veloviewer.

Patrick

Staff member
Quick HOH 2019 Recap -

https://www.strava.com/activities/2238511324

Night before:
Put all the clothes and equipment out on the ping-pong table.
stare at clothes - post for Kev's recommendation on feet.
decide to decide in the morning
early to bed, 6am alarm.

Early morning:
Wake up at 5:45, eat some yogurt
Mix up a heavy hammer perpetuem(sp?) bottle.
Look at temps: decide it will warm up quickly enough
Knickers, short sleeve jersey, Gore jacket, mid-weight gloves, wool socks, road shoes/toe covers to start
Head outside, and the temps are in the 20s, but it seems warmer, cause no wind and some sun.
Arm warmers, spring fingered gloves, and fingerless gloves in the pocket. (the spring gloves have no padding)

Arrival:
I'm in the HS lot at 7:15ish - I'm something like the 8th car in the lot. How can this be?
Seems i had a reserved spot anyway.

IMG_3181.JPG

Put everything in my jersey pockets - some food, multi-tool, tube/co2, clothes.
Jump on the bike to head to registration.
BAM! the rear brake is locked against the rim. I have a habit of squeezing the brake to get on the bike.
it isn't releasing - i futz with it, and it springs loose, wheel spins. Get back on, same thing.
OK, release it again, get on bike without squeezing brake - ok we are rolling. So focused on this,
i roll right by @RobW, but he gets my attention. Say hello, and i have to get to the support tent.
Ride over to the support, and the tech re-centers my brakes, squeezes a couple times, checks that the
wheel is seated in the drops. Sends me on my way. I grab my number, and a coffee, and wait for people to show up.

IMG_3182.JPG

Since I'm posted by the coffee and waffles, figured most would stroll by. Say hello to @C La B, @iman29 tracks me down,
a few of the Watchung Wheelmen say hello (i was wearing a jersey, but i haven't been on a ride with them in 3 years)
See some of the Hb crew, @ChrisG, and a couple from my tri club. Now I'm outside, waiting for Pete, and say hello to @jimvreeland and
a few more people, as the line begins to form. I know what this means, relegated to the last group - no worries.

Decide I'd test the bike one more time, and again the brakes lock. I pull out my multi-tool, and mess with centering the brake.
Seems that the cable is getting hung somewhere. pulling the brake dislodges it, but the spring isn't doing the whole job.
@jdog takes a shot, and it seems ok - also decided that putting air in the tires was a good idea. 50psi w/tubes wasn't going to suffice.

By the time i get to the line, about an hour and 15 minutes after the first wave,
it is acting up again. ok, i'm going to do HOH with only my front brake. i don't use brakes anyway - wait, there will be
people all around me, going to need to brake! and front brake on gravel...hmm.

Sometime in there, Pete shows up. He looks like the temps are going to drop into the teens, as did many of the other riders.
One bonus of going out last is the extra hour of temp change. Computer reported 46F after cooling down from sitting in the sun.
I'm feeling good temp wise, just unzip the jacket a bit, and take off the head beanie. Pete is a big fella that can put out a lot of
power - but uphill ain't his thing. So i'd settle into a comfortable uphill cadence, and soft pedal at the top until he caught me.

At the first rest area, I dropped the jacket and mid-weight gloves, put on the arm warmers, spring gloves, fingerless over them.
Took off my toe cover. yes singular. one of them disappeared....guess i didn't need them in the first place. Sometime before the
second rest area, I pushed the arm warmers down to my wrists. kinda like that leggings look from flashdance, only on my arms,
and black, not pink.

The rest of the ride was watching people dropping water bottles, paperboying up hills, and spending lots of time in the rest areas.
Legs felt great with the climbs followed by a couple minutes of easy spinning. While not fast, I did manage to PR the last climb
from 518 Hopewell/Amwell to the top of Provinceline rd. ?

Survived on just one brake!

Beautiful day, well run event, and felt great. That is a win.
Thank you to all the volunteers, and support crew.

Didn't take any pictures during the ride. Not sure why, just didn't pull out the phone.

IMG_3183.JPG

Body is feeling good this morning too. Couple of ibuprofen for the neck, but otherwise ready to roll. I think my schedule calls
for zwifting. Sorry, i know that is disappointing after the big launch of the outdoor season. TFB.

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
And just like that Fidodie is gone. Had a chat with @jdog today which really struck a chord.

We are all worried about privacy - but I know from my tech background, if you are posting here, it would probably take me 10 minutes to figure out
who you are. Beyond that - I render my opinion on topics, people, and general shit. Like the oxford comma I just used. And I'm going to own what
I say or do. I will not post anything here, that I won't say to you with a crowd standing around. This does not mean I won't PM you with an opinion.
I will also mention that my warped view of everything can be mis-understood. Just ask what I mean, if you found it offensive, derogatory, or
demeaning. Especially that Oxford comma - damn, 2x in same paragraph.

Our online community is different. I've said it before. We meet IRL (in real life) - and have to interact. This isn't some clan game where I have to
establish some online persona that is different than my own. I'm less chatty IRL, cause i don't process fast enough for spontaneous, non-topic
conversation. That's me. You got something in my wheelhouse, and I'll go all @UtahJoe on you.

Anyway - if anyone wants to get on the bus, let me know. I'll update your username.

A few people also came up to me this weekend and introduced themselves. I guess I post enough pics of me. I did look like Bruce Moonlighting Willis, but
not so much anymore. I'd still like him to play me in my biopic From Nowhere, to just outside of There.
Anyway, I'm going to change my avatar to a reasonable pic of me. Not too close-up, and no love handles, so you'll be ok.

One more thing that I'd like to reiterate. I try very hard to listen to what people are saying, and not how they say it.
I don't mind edgy, or fringe opinions. How can my opinion stand if i don't listen to others?

Anyway, /dissertation. Say hi if you see me. You'll probably just get a hello back, unless you want to talk about
the empirical evidence of the genetic propensity for people to congregate.....

Top Bottom