Cigarette Breaks at Work

Dr Superb

I'm an ex-smoker as well. I said i would quit when packs got to 5 bucks each...so i did. how can someone pay like 8 bucks for a pack of smokes?

the greatest thing NJ did was ban smoking inside bars/restaurants, etc...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have no problem with people taking breaks all day. Whatever. If they get their work done, then fine. It has been shown that people who grind for 8 hours get like 4 hours of actual work done a day. Yeah yeah, I know *you're* the exception (not you specifically) but really, you're not. You're not more productive because you sit at your desk more. In fact, evidence suggests otherwise.

Having said that, I rarely leave my cage at work. Given that I'm in the city, that's a bit of a shame really. There's a lot to see.

I do have a problem that I pay the same insurance as they do. That idea can SaD.

When I'm working on something and hit a roadblock, I often come here. This is my break to mentally vent, and I think it's healthier for me than just banging my head against the wall. I don't think that smokers as a rule do this. But mental breaks are good. The difference is that when my needed break is done, I can tune back in on what I was working on. The smoker checks out for 15 minutes then likely comes back and checks mail/mtbnj/facebook for another 10 minutes. You're really straining the limits of what you can actually get done when you start to crunch those numbers.

I don't endorse the habit at all though.

But maybe smokers (and fatsos) really are less productive:
http://news.health.com/2010/09/27/obesity-smoking-productivity/

So F it, fire them all. In the end, when the RIF man comes, the slackers usually get axed. Maybe that's why there are fewer and fewer smokers in the workplace these days. Smokers are less productive, and the less productive get cut first, in general.

Ok, I'm going to take a 15er so I can go freebase outside.

ChrisRU

Many companies are starting to explore raising insurance (life, health, etc..) premiums for smokers. It is getting a lot of discussion in employee benefits circles, and if your company isn't doing it already, they are looking into it. The caveat of course is that employees have to self declare when doing benefits enrollment.

I smoked on and off in high school and college, and couldn't imagine doing it now. The costs ($$ and health) are outrageous and its pretty much not welcomed anywhere. We don't have many smokers in my office, but its annoying having to navigate around all the smokers on the street when walking across town.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
i have to take a HRA (health risk assessment) at Ryder to avoid paying an extra $25 a month and had to sign papers basically saying I'm a non-smoker to avoid an extra $10 a week.

walter

Fourth Party
My company is one of them, smokers pay an additional $600 a year for their benefits.

Pearl, maybe they smoke so much because you're surfing the web all day.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
while i do my share about of web browsing at work, im always available. when these cats go and smoke fags, they aren't available for me to bother with simple questions or tasks that i could answer or do myself.

when someone calls and asks me to cover for them to smoke, i will usually go downstairs and just stare at them through the glass while they are killing themselves.

the owner even offered 500$ cash money if someone would quit smoking all together. they didn't take it.

soulchild

tumblr_m2ieeb2tBK1qi1ufro1_400.jpg

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
We also had a discussion at lunch today, it seems like, on average, my generation as a whole seems to not smoke as many cigarettes as you old peoples generation.

Do you think smoking cigarettes will ever die out?

ChrisRU

Not likely. In the northeast its noticably declining, but I'd imagine ciggarette smoking is much more prevalent in parts of the country where ciggs can still be bought for $3.00 a pack and you can smoke in public space.

I was on a trip down south ~4 years ago and was shocked to see ash trays along the end caps of aisles in a walmart type of store. I think I may have been in western South Carolina at the time. You can still smoke while you shop and eat in some parts.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We also had a discussion at lunch today, it seems like, on average, my generation as a whole seems to not smoke as many cigarettes as you old peoples generation.

Smoking rates had been dropping for 40 straight years until a few years ago, when they have flat-lined at a rate of about 1 in 5 Americans smoking. That's a crazy number, since I don't think 1 in 20 of my friends smokes. 1 in 5 seems insane.

This past year rates rose slightly for the first time since 1994. So it seems that your generation is actually smoking more than the previous. Losers.

70% of Russian men smoke.

No I don't think it will ever die out.

mwlikesbikes

Never. I see kids in the morning walking to the bus stops smoking up all the time.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
i have zero sympathy for smokers. wah wah wah f'n wah. you put yourself in that position as a smoker. i dont care how much you need your nicotine, you get the same breaks as i do. where i work we dont get breaks except for a 30 minute lunch break. infact you cannot even smoke on the grounds. so at lunch you see all these nasty people scurry up the street and spend 30 minutes sucking cancer. smokers are disgusting. find a better hobby losers.

Top Bottom