Cigarette Breaks at Work

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Are you mad at them?

Couple people here religiously take them at specific times in the day. Makes me rage. No real policy for this at my job, so it kind of just goes with the wind. Sometimes I just want to stand outside too.

So stand outside then...

When I worked in an office there were certainly folks like that. As long as I don't have to breath the sh!t, smell them afterwards, and they get me what I need when I need it, f*cketh give I not...

I'll join.

No policy here either, unless you work in the shop. No smoking except for before shift, morning break, lunch, then at the end of shift.

However, there's 2 co-workers in the office that take smoke breaks approximate every 30 min. So, in an 8 hr day, that's 16 breaks at 10 mins, so 2 freaking hours a day of smoking.

Yes, they both smell like an ash tray and one had major heart surgery last year and was out of work for almost 3 months.

...As long as I don't have to breath the sh!t, smell them afterwards, and they get me what I need when I need it, f*cketh give I not...

Words to live by right here... I wish I could put this mindset into practice more effectively. My office has a lovely view of our "smoke shack" I get to see everybody in the office who goes out there throughout the day. There are particular people who are out there for 15 minutes at a time, every hour or so. They're killing hours each day, standing there smoking. If I start thinking about it, it gets to me. If I don't actively ignore it, I would go postal for sure... because I do give a f*cketh.

While occaisionally the smoke shack gets to me and I'll rant about it, it pisses me off more when my healthcare costs increase each year. These same mfers at the smoke shack are the ones that are out on medical leave or disability or sick, etc, etc, much more frequently than most of the other, healthier employees. They also seem to be the ones that will openly b*tch to anyone that will listen about their medical woes. That sh*t gets to me. I don't have much sympathy for those who have issues that are a direct result of their willingness to put poisons into their bodies.

On the flipside, it justifies me firing out for an hour + road loop during my "lunch break" and then coming back to my desk to actually eat my lunch.

F*ckem.

So stand outside then...

When I worked in an office there were certainly folks like that. As long as I don't have to breath the sh!t, smell them afterwards, and they get me what I need when I need it, f*cketh give I not...

I feel the same way as an ex-smoker I can feel for them, back in the day we were able to smoke indoors at the system consoles...think Samuel L. Jackson from Jurassic Park..

couple of things...one, join them and stay upwind...good conversation and gossip always found there...and two...was once in a mgmt training session and asked, when we were on the topic of hiring ethics, if we could reject any candidates that came in stinking of cigs since we know they'd spend at least an hour on breaks every day...answer was NO, we could not eliminate a candidate simply because they are a smoker...I was floored by this.....

Doesnt really bother me. I don't smoke, but I try and walk around a little bit and make some conversation each day. its not good to sit at a desk all day.

Some just lit our company smoke shack at work on fire last week. Cigarette down through the floor boards and lit the mulch up. My shop guys were there Monday taking it down. So they can't even police themselves.

It doesn't really bother me, because I get in, get my work done, and when I need to leave a little early to get a jump on a ride, or do anything else, they are still there crunchin' away at 5pm.

I have no patience for smokers.

At least if they were taking bong hit breaks it would help to numb the pain of work.

I see it as a weakness. Like a weakness for ice cream or short skirts.

It is far from a need. It should not be tolerated at the workplace. If it is tolerated, they should have their pay docked for each break. If not, everyone else should be paid extra for not taking smoke breaks. (and paid extra to ride bikes to work!)

The bottom line is that the non smokers are indeed doing more work and taking up the slack for the smokers in an office.

The biggest burden I see is that of our healthcare system. We all pay into it, yet smokers need more care, so they take more than they give.

Smokers tend to be angry and self motivated for their next nicotine fix. I watched a friend quit a few years back and he simply became a better person. More tolerant, happier and less burdened by the constant need to feed his addiction. Encouraging him quit was a lot of work, but it was so rewarding.

The bottom line is that the non smokers are indeed doing more work and taking up the slack for the smokers in an office.

That is a bit of a leap (okay, a huge leap!). Smoking isn't the only way folks slack @ work. Mtbnj, Facebook, general bullshitting, personal phone calls, checking their portfolios/day trading, and the list goes on. Slacking whilst smoking is just more obvious than some of the other ways to slack at work.

With that being said, I do wish folks (including my wife) would deal with their addiction and bury this problem.

That is a bit of a leap (okay, a huge leap!). Smoking isn't the only way folks slack @ work. Mtbnj, Facebook, general bullshitting, personal phone calls, checking their portfolios/day trading, and the list goes on. Slacking whilst smoking is just more obvious than some of the other ways to slack at work.

With that being said, I do wish folks (including my wife) would deal with their addiction and bury this problem.

What the f do I know, i have never worked in an office. My next job will be outside all the time.

Last edited:
No one in my office smokes. The equivalent to a smoke break here is to step outside and scream around the parking lot on a bicycle for five minutes. Most of us keep bikes in our cubicles.

Plenty of folks back in production smoke, but I don't typically see or interact with them so - out of sight, out of mind.

I can't stand the smell of smoke. Can't stand the smell of people who smoke and I also think the act of doing so makes you look retarded.

I was a smoker waaaaay back in the day. I used to take breaks every chance i had. Those were some dumb days.

I’d like to see the #’s on cigarette sales. When I used to smoke (~7 ago) it seemed like there was A LOT more people outside smoking.
Now, there’s only a few far and between out there smoking. Maybe the price has weened out some.

I've been meaning to light up a cigar one of these days and really sit out there for an hour with the regulars. Maybe bring a 6 pack in a cooler also. Our office occasionally throws afternoon keggers on fridays, seriously.

Back
Top Bottom