Chimney Rock Conditions

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
conditions are frozen solid. there are some frozen ruts in spots, but otherwise the trails look great. there is a good sized ice flow on the bottom half of the climb off gilbride, so watch yourself if you are going into it at a good speed. there are also some random patches of ice throughout the place, so just be aware for ice if you are going at a good clip downhill.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rode CR Wed night. Red was the most icy. White, yellow, and orange were all in really good shape with not much ice. Didn't hit blue before the toes got cold.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Rode CR Wed night. Red was the most icy. White, yellow, and orange were all in really good shape with not much ice. Didn't hit blue before the toes got cold.

what trail is the climb off gilbride (not the yellow), is that white or red?

***edit*** nevermind - checked the trail directory - its orange.

Last edited:

Clapper

Rode today at around 4:00. The good news was that I didn't get the bike dirty nor did I rut up the trails. The bad was that there were several ice sheets underneath the two inches of fresh snow. I bit it at least three times. I had a good time though it wasn't much of a workout.
There were tire tracks on red, it looked like whoever rode it did a nice job, with very little foot dabbing.

Dr Superb

Rode today at around 4:00. The good news was that I didn't get the bike dirty nor did I rut up the trails. The bad was that there were several ice sheets underneath the two inches of fresh snow. I bit it at least three times. I had a good time though it wasn't much of a workout.
There were tire tracks on red, it looked like whoever rode it did a nice job, with very little foot dabbing.

CR was rideable today???

Clapper

I did a lot of hike a bike today. It was real slick. Any climb was a test in preventing your rear wheel from spinning out. I just needed to get out after a long layoff from mtb riding, plus it was fun laying down fresh tracks. RV will be a better choice to ride this weekend.

goodvibe

Went to CR this morning. After the reports, I put my studded tires on my extra bike. Had a good ride. There were a couple of icy spots and deep ruts under the snow, but it was a good ride nonetheless.

goodvibe

1/17/11 Update

I went to Chimney Rock today. I brought my bike with spiked tires and my other bike with 2.4 tires. I wound up riding the latter and it was slow going. The snow on the main hiking trails around the reservoir were packed down and somewhat ridable, but once you headed up the mountain in any direction the snow was soft and slippery.

Maybe Tuesday's rain will melt some of the snow, or ice it up a bit to make CR a little more fun with the studded tires.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
went this morning with a friend. it was 6 freaggin' degrees and conditions sucked - the snow is too deep still. going down is possible, going up is not. just lots of spinning out and getting stuck. it was the shortest bike ride i have ever had.

goodvibe

You could probably ride without the studs. There were a few people who were there without the studs. WE did try to go up the hill a little, but it was too rough with the ruts and the snow.

R

ridethebike

Today we rode around the resevoir on the cinder trail, and the lower sections across from newmans parking lot. If we stayed in the packed snow groove it was rideable. Going to be long while before this snow goes away.
We finished the ride with swaping out to studded tires and hitting the ice.....wooo hooo

Attachments

• ice tires 2011 017.jpg
    ice tires 2011 017.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 771
R

ridethebike

What .. almost 2 weeks and nobody has even made a comment?

Dude this was...

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A reliable source has told me conditions were fun today. The little bit of snow provided some traction over the ice. At least on red white and blue. Dunno about yellow or orange.

fasterthanliam

A reliable source has told me conditions were fun today. The little bit of snow provided some traction over the ice. At least on red white and blue. Dunno about yellow or orange.

I rode yesterday. Slow going and icy in places. Snow hid the ice really well and made for some surprises. All and all well better than could have imagined. Spots of mud and water and lots of blowdowns. With the freeze tonight and the snow melted off today should make it pretty good. Studs may be the ticket.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions