Chimney Rock Conditions

CNJRider

Joker
Wanna laugh? I was gearing up when that kid parked there. As he was walking away I told him that the police are to ticketing for parking there and that it wasn’t a spot, that he was blocking the entrance to the park. He told me that it wasn’t marked no parking and that it looked like a spot.
Wow… some people. And the ball lot is just a 5 minute drive away too.

688F32B7-E22C-471D-B019-01D4C888789B.jpeg

FitmanNJ

Rode Chimney Rock Yellow the other day. I came upon a guy stationed by a tree on High Tech (about 1/3 of the way in going clockwise/East trailhead to West). He was killing lantern flys, noting that there were dozens of them on the tree and especially at the base of the tree. He left, but I continued the mass murder with my open Corona saw. It was a bloodbath…I’m surprised CNN didn’t report it as, “…Breaking News!”

In case there’s something the Park Service can do to more effectively address this location, here are a couple of photos. There’s a green blaze on the tree visible while cycling westbound. I know that the state recommends destroying the “mud nests” which they typically create in the Fall, but with so many of them in just this one spot, it’s hard to see how we’re going to stop the infestation.

03188018-BA6E-48EF-AF20-23649E8E420A.jpeg

25D0C40D-1697-48AF-ADFA-AF422BD40DA1.jpeg

1TrackMind

Rode Chimney Rock Yellow the other day. I came upon a guy stationed by a tree on High Tech (about 1/3 of the way in going clockwise/East trailhead to West). He was killing lantern flys, noting that there were dozens of them on the tree and especially at the base of the tree. He left, but I continued the mass murder with my open Corona saw. It was a bloodbath…I’m surprised CNN didn’t report it as, “…Breaking News!”

In case there’s something the Park Service can do to more effectively address this location, here are a couple of photos. There’s a green blaze on the tree visible while cycling westbound. I know that the state recommends destroying the “mud nests” which they typically create in the Fall, but with so many of them in just this one spot, it’s hard to see how we’re going to stop the infestation.

View attachment 166131
View attachment 166132
I saw these traps installed on Landsdown trail by me, more efficient then stomping, but still seems futile, and who knows what else gets trapped in there. If these traps are successful might be good a service project for a boysout or local science program to put more up.
D6969D13-F47A-49A2-B6D5-90B4DDE6D416.jpeg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We will rebuild it, and they will come back.

LOL someone tried to ride it today. Props to people's determination.

I am thinking that Guardrail Climb is no worse than it ever was. If anything, looks like there's more dirt than there was.

Still, crazy shit.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We will rebuild it, and they will come back.

LOL someone tried to ride it today. Props to people's determination.

I am thinking that Guardrail Climb is no worse than it ever was. If anything, looks like there's more dirt than there was.

Still, crazy shit.

Pics never do it justice. Guardrail gulley is probably 8 to 10 inches deep. Probably unrideable or close to it.

TomS887

Probably not saying anything new here. Photos definitely don't do it justice. Most of the trails are in good shape, but the damaged parts were very damaged.
Yellow train simulator was the most damaged trail I rode today, the section where it goes to Gilbride road was pretty much gone, but the Main Vein connector to the road was in pretty good shape. The rest of Yellow Train Simulator was good except for one spot in the middle where a huge pile of rocks was deposited.
PXL_20210910_184212734.MP.jpg
PXL_20210910_184257234.MP.jpg
PXL_20210910_184754810.MP.jpg

There were a few other areas. The hole next to the fence below the reservoir basically falls off a steep eroded dirt drop, so that is a safety issue that will need to be fixed. I didn't hit the whole park, but most of my route wasn't bad except for the parts noted here.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions