Chimney Rock Conditions

CNJRider

Joker
Great TM job on white connecting the bridge to Chimney Rock Rd. Looked like a trim was recently performed.

20210713_180917.jpg

White is still drying out as of this afternoon. Mostly ok but the lower parts had some standing water.

Last edited:

Cafe Dave

Yellow is mostly dry AND trimmed as well. Weather has been relentless, but the trail crew has been actively maintaining CR - it really shows! Thanks!

CNJRider

Joker
Come and get it! Rode everything but yellow this AM. Aside from the usual soft spots, conditions were primo, almost dusty in some places like parts of orange and red. Blue had some deeper puddles where you'd expect them at lower elevation and some mud here and there but still rideable.

Here is red. Perfection. Chef's kiss.

20210717_072933.jpg

Much obliged to the TM volunteers. White looking spiffy with its recent haircut. Some muddy patches here and there in the flowy single track.

20210717_081000.jpg

Bridge to CR road was dry as a bone! Welcome change versus last week.

20210717_082400.jpg

Cafe Dave

It barely rained here in CR so trails are completely dry (orange/yellow). Couple trees down on Yellow High-Tech side: There is one big tree down blocking a switchback in two locations and a small tree that could drop at some point.

1626914594604.png

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It barely rained here in CR so trails are completely dry (orange/yellow). Couple trees down on Yellow High-Tech side: There is one big tree down blocking a switchback in two locations and a small tree that could drop at some point.

The chainsaw crew is aware and should have it taken care of by the weekend.

@Kirt - see? I told you I thought there was something else!

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Cafe Dave

The chainsaw crew is aware and should have it taken care of by the weekend.

@Kirt - see? I told you I thought there was something else!

Yep - PC cleared all those trees on yellow first thing this morning :thumbsup:

edit: a big thanks for all the recent TM and quick repairs at CR. I visited a trail in PA today and while I enjoyed it, the trails were clogged with fallen trees, branches, debris and thick overgrowth. We're really lucky to have the resources (and volunteers) to keep our local trails safe and fun!

Last edited:

Jrzjoe

F963D051-2BFF-48D0-9DFF-873CB7BA4EC2.jpeg
Did it all today. It was wet but not muddy. The humidity was a total drag but not as much as seeing a spotted lantern fly over on the newly marked pink trail right at the rock overlook. I tried to kill it but it got away. Please be vigilant and kill every one you see.

JDurk

View attachment 163500Did it all today. It was wet but not muddy. The humidity was a total drag but not as much as seeing a spotted lantern fly over on the newly marked pink trail right at the rock overlook. I tried to kill it but it got away. Please be vigilant and kill every one you see.
Saw this during my lunch walk at work last week. Burlington Co. Been on a murder spree at my house in Camden Co. I've observed they only have enough energy to hop away maybe 3x.
20210723_122204.jpg

Nolabean

View attachment 163500Did it all today. It was wet but not muddy. The humidity was a total drag but not as much as seeing a spotted lantern fly over on the newly marked pink trail right at the rock overlook. I tried to kill it but it got away. Please be vigilant and kill every one you see.
They’re all over CR 😔 i see them on the yellow trail and what is now green (high tech) started seeing them last June and now they’re easier to spot since they’re bigger. I think we have more of them in Somerset county this year than last sadly. On the move ugh.

Cafe Dave

They’re all over CR 😔 i see them on the yellow trail and what is now green (high tech) started seeing them last June and now they’re easier to spot since they’re bigger. I think we have more of them in Somerset county this year than last sadly. On the move ugh.

I've noticed them, too for the first time at the last CR TM session couple weeks back. NJ.gov has a reporting tool, but I think it would be cool if we could send sightings using Trailforks ;)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This bottle is uncorked. Not sealing that one back up.

We hiked up & over to RV last year to swim. There were 1000s dead in the water. Hard to see how that war was winnable.

Cafe Dave

This bottle is uncorked. Not sealing that one back up.

We hiked up & over to RV last year to swim. There were 1000s dead in the water. Hard to see how that war was winnable.

Same.. visited RV about 2 years ago and there were swarms of them buzzing/jumping around.

Maybe a longer term solution in the works using Fungus as a pesticide:

A naturally occurring fungus that’s commercially available as an organic biopesticide spray could spell doom for the spotted lanternfly population.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Question for locals and frequent fliers: Are weekends still generally a crowded mess here?

I want to ride somewhere that’s not in Monmouth County and has rocks, and this place is my closest option.

Thanks!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions