Chain Slip

warcricket

Like a Jerk
consistency.jpg

BiknBen

I think this thread is going bad places.

Yeah...sorry if I started it down a path of destruction. I think you were given some poor advice earlier. You start turning screws and barrel adjusters and that bike will ride like crap even after replacing the cassette.

A proper diagnosis can't be made by us remote wrenches. your original description did not provide enough detail and there are too many variables. If you can't work it out, take it to a shop. They will be able to make all the appropriate considerations and get you rolling good again.

Here is some solid reading in the mean time:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Is your bike white? I find often that white bikes tend to skip much more than others. Try painting it orange, that should fix it:D

-Jim.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
OK I have an idea,.... First, get yourself 6 black candles and a live chicken. Under the full moon, take a sharp knife that has been dipped in Ox blood, Then stab your rear tire. After fixing said tire, Take the bike to Halters.

mwlikesbikes

OK I have an idea,.... First, get yourself 6 black candles and a live chicken. Under the full moon, take a sharp knife that has been dipped in Ox blood, Then stab your rear tire. After fixing said tire, Take the bike to Halters.

I've actually had more success with Thompsons Gazelle blood.

rockmonster

Eternal Beginner
It could also be a simple derailleur alignment issue. Cables stretch over time and you may just need to tweak the cable tension to line up the derailleur with the cassette cogs.

Always start with the simplest solution and work up from there.

A year old cassette may or may not be worn, depending how many miles are on it. If you do change the cassette, make sure you install a new chain at the same time.

I just had my cassette changed, but the shop made no mention of changing my old chain - they just suggested I keep it better lubed. Why do you like to change the chain and the cassette together?

J-Dro

I just had my cassette changed, but the shop made no mention of changing my old chain - they just suggested I keep it better lubed. Why do you like to change the chain and the cassette together?

As the chain stretches during months of use, it wears the teeth of the cassette cogs and slightly alters their shape. It can also result in a small 'lip' on the side of the tooth that will drive you crazy because you can't really see it. But if you run a screwdriver blade over the worn tooth, you can feel the lip, and it can snag your chain and cause ghost shifting problems especially when you crank hard on the pedals.

If your cassette was worn enough to need replacement, I can't possibly see how your chain wasn't stretched past its limit too. There is a chain stretch tool to measure this. Did the shop bother to measure it for you?

mwlikesbikes

What he said Rock Monster. If your cassete was wasted then your worn chain will waste your new cassete in no time. Get a chain asap! While you're at it make sure the middle chainring is ok.

rockmonster

Eternal Beginner
Why wouldn't a well-respected shop like Halters mention something like that to me? Maybe they were too busy.

What about my middle chainring now?

Engignar

Don't know why they wouldn't. Maybe you have a chain made of unobtanium. Your middle chainring on your crankset could have the same wear problem as your cassette did. If you replace your cassette and chain and the middle ring is badly worn it will quickly wear the new parts out.

Top Bottom