Chain lube????

I boil new chains in a pot of water. With KMC chains at least, you'll see a glob of grease floating on the top after a few minutes. I still usually do a cleaning with some degreaser as well, but just the boiling seems to displace a lot of the grease.
Yeah... my experience as well with KMC chains were that the mfg grease/wax or whatever is on there washes off with relative ease with a good degreaser.

It’s showtime.......
CD5A8614-B31C-44F5-B530-5F28ACF6A854.jpeg
472F33A9-E383-46CB-93DD-A4FEBCB8700E.jpeg
5733FF13-8C12-4942-8C9C-81FB340ACEF1.jpeg

I mean I really like my bikes but...

Ive been buying the uber thin chain lube from Muc Off with the yellow cap. I went to a lbs to pick up more and this is what he had and not what I usually use. It came with a light so you can see if you got the chain lubed evenly(has a dye in it🤦🏼‍♂️).... silly and gimmicky imo but the lube is TITS!!

Its the only iced out chain i ever owned!! 🥸
F16E8E7F-EAE3-4C3B-90BB-373E6D6E654F.jpeg

Last edited:
.....I’m about to loose my sh*t regarding the packing grease/paste/glue the mfgs put on new chains. AAAAAAAAHHHHRRRRRRGGG! Ok, I feel better.

Background:

I’m about to go down the rabbit hole of waxing my chains for the indoor trainer, I’ve been having shifting issues which gave me the excuse to avoid the trainer.....and I have been too lazy too take everything apart and clean it. I am pathetic.
I bought a small crockpot, molten speed wax, mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, two new chains and a sonic cleaner (arriving today).

I cleaned the old chain, sized the two new ones and let the new ones sit overnight in mineral spirits, gave them a quick rinse, wiped them off and dropped then in the alcohol for an hour to get any residue off, quick wipe and hung them to dry.

I checked this mornin, the f’ing chains still have a tacky feel from the packing gloop. WTF!?!?!?!?

What do I have to do to get rid of this crap????? Is gas the only solution? Seriously, i normally just leave it on for a hundred miles or so and then clean the chain as normal. But in that case I don’t care if any residue remains in the rollers. That ain’t gonna make it for waxing.

also, any tips regarding using a sonic cleaner (not involving fire) would be appreciated.
Hopefully you found a solution or moved on from waxing by now (just now finding the resurrected thread) but I used Goo Gone in the mason-jar-shaker method. You can watch the globules of factory lube come off like one of those kids' oil/water timer toys. I used a Goo Gone bath, a Muc-Off bike cleaner bath, a rinse under the faucet, then denatured alcohol.The denatured alcohol bath was crystal clear afterward so I'm pretty confident it was all I needed. Even was able to decant the Goo Gone off for the next use. (Wife was out of town. Don't tell her I did this on her kitchen counter)
20221103_182939.jpg
download.jpeg

You can put goo gone, degreaser, and gasoline in a jar and shake for an hour there is still going to be crap in the rollers. Wash it off with alchohol, water, let it dry.....Saturate chain with lube, use a white towel to wipe off excess, black crap all over, rollers still have junk inside.

Everyone has their own way, i tried the jar way, no thanks, the park scrubber rinses and agitates the rollers so it actually cleans the gaps inside the rollers.

1. Run chain through park cleaner 4 times with 50% waterpurple stuff.
2. Shoot garden sprayer or hose on jet down through chain while backpedalling.
3. Shoot air compressor down though chain while backpedalling to get all the water out from inside the roller.
4. Run towel over chain to dry.
5. Saturate with finish line dry lube, run over towel, no black crap at all, rollers completely flushed cleaned and lubed.

You can put goo gone, degreaser, and gasoline in a jar and shake for an hour there is still going to be crap in the rollers. Wash it off with alchohol, water, let it dry.....Saturate chain with lube, use a white towel to wipe off excess, black crap all over, rollers still have junk inside.

Everyone has their own way, i tried the jar way, no thanks, the park scrubber rinses and agitates the rollers so it actually cleans the gaps inside the rollers.

1. Run chain through park cleaner 4 times with 50% waterpurple stuff.
2. Shoot garden sprayer or hose on jet down through chain while backpedalling.
3. Shoot air compressor down though chain while backpedalling to get all the water out from inside the roller.
4. Run towel over chain to dry.
5. Saturate with finish line dry lube, run over towel, no black crap at all, rollers completely flushed cleaned and lubed.
This is just wax re-application on the indoor only chains. Boil, wipe, air dry, short soak in denatured alcohol to get any hand oils, air dry (again) and then swish in the hot wax. Hang them to cool/harden and Bob’s yer uncle.

This is just wax re-application on the indoor only chains. Boil, wipe, air dry, short soak in denatured alcohol to get any hand oils, air dry (again) and then swish in the hot wax. Hang them to cool/harden and Bob’s yer uncle.
As an antiwaxxer i admire the diligence waxing a chain i just don't believe in it. I just don't see how flaky wax can lubricate a roller under pressure.

On the contrary my indoor trainer is absolutely loaded with triflow, it's almost dripping. No dust means it can't collect dust. It is a black greasy mess however, maybe from sweat salt also.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom