Chain lube????

JDurk

Ordered 2 bottles from Amazon. Label says do not allow to freeze store between 41- 95 degrees. I'll keep mine in the house during the winter.
Yep, know that now, didn't purchase. Got all of it from merch tables at races: TSEpic, NICA samples and some MASS races.

THATmanMANNY

I can confidently say I barely lube my chains but when I do it's dumonde light (yellow) per rec of jdog 12 years ago. I'm still rocking that bottle...
I literally just tap the tip and put little as possible and let sit for a day or whatever. And I really don't ride in wet weather either.

TIP from some OGs here said never ride right after lubing

THATmanMANNY

ooo mmeeee god. I lubed the zwift bike yesterday. Rode tonight. Night and day. I thought it was just my budget bike making me go deaf.
But when you are out IRL all the chain squeak is masked by a lot of factors

Dingo

I removed and cleaned the chain then squirted some squirt. Let dry 24 hrs, seems tackier than WL clean ride. Hope dirt doesn't stick to it.

Directions say do not wipe:shrug: but it sure was a gloppy mess. Hitting Allaire today so will find out.

Chain seems quieter while spinning on the stand.

JDurk

I removed and cleaned the chain then squirted some squirt. Let dry 24 hrs, seems tackier than WL clean ride. Hope dirt doesn't stick to it.

Directions say do not wipe:shrug: but it sure was a gloppy mess. Hitting Allaire today so will find out.

Chain seems quieter while spinning on the stand.
I always wiped the biggest globs off. I did find it to build up on N/W chainrings and RD pulleys requiring scraping it off during bike washings.

Dingo

I always wiped the biggest globs off. I did find it to build up on N/W chainrings and RD pulleys requiring scraping it off during bike washings.
Well, nothing was sticking to it. It was flaking off, something WL never did. Seems quieter too.
:thumbsup:

68nova200

I must say... I'm really digging the parafin wax method on the chain. Smoother pedaling and no dust or dirt accumulating. Thanks to whoever mentioned it in this thread.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
.....I’m about to loose my sh*t regarding the packing grease/paste/glue the mfgs put on new chains. AAAAAAAAHHHHRRRRRRGGG! Ok, I feel better.

Background:

I’m about to go down the rabbit hole of waxing my chains for the indoor trainer, I’ve been having shifting issues which gave me the excuse to avoid the trainer.....and I have been too lazy too take everything apart and clean it. I am pathetic.
I bought a small crockpot, molten speed wax, mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, two new chains and a sonic cleaner (arriving today).

I cleaned the old chain, sized the two new ones and let the new ones sit overnight in mineral spirits, gave them a quick rinse, wiped them off and dropped then in the alcohol for an hour to get any residue off, quick wipe and hung them to dry.

I checked this mornin, the f’ing chains still have a tacky feel from the packing gloop. WTF!?!?!?!?

What do I have to do to get rid of this crap????? Is gas the only solution? Seriously, i normally just leave it on for a hundred miles or so and then clean the chain as normal. But in that case I don’t care if any residue remains in the rollers. That ain’t gonna make it for waxing.

also, any tips regarding using a sonic cleaner (not involving fire) would be appreciated.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
.....I’m about to loose my sh*t regarding the packing grease/paste/glue the mfgs put on new chains. AAAAAAAAHHHHRRRRRRGGG! Ok, I feel better.

Background:

I’m about to go down the rabbit hole of waxing my chains for the indoor trainer, I’ve been having shifting issues which gave me the excuse to avoid the trainer.....and I have been too lazy too take everything apart and clean it. I am pathetic.
I bought a small crockpot, molten speed wax, mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, two new chains and a sonic cleaner (arriving today).

I cleaned the old chain, sized the two new ones and let the new ones sit overnight in mineral spirits, gave them a quick rinse, wiped them off and dropped then in the alcohol for an hour to get any residue off, quick wipe and hung them to dry.

I checked this mornin, the f’ing chains still have a tacky feel from the packing gloop. WTF!?!?!?!?

What do I have to do to get rid of this crap????? Is gas the only solution? Seriously, i normally just leave it on for a hundred miles or so and then clean the chain as normal. But in that case I don’t care if any residue remains in the rollers. That ain’t gonna make it for waxing.

also, any tips regarding using a sonic cleaner (not involving fire) would be appreciated.

Disclaimer: I've never waxed a brand new chain and I've never used a sonic cleaner.

On my previously used and lubed chains it required several baths in mineral spirits followed by a couple rinses with denatured alcohol to get them 100% clean. I put them in a jar with mineral spirits and shook the jar for a couple minutes. I wiped the chains and replaced the used mineral spirits with unused mineral spirits. Then I placed the chains back in the jar and shook the jar for a couple minutes. Then I wiped the chains and replaced the mineral spirits.... I had to do that a few times. When the chains seemed pretty clean I left them soak in the mineral spirits for a few hours before I rinsed them with denatured alcohol a couple times.

You can save the used mineral spirits. The grime will settle out. Then you can reuse it for the initial bath next time. The alcohol can't be reused.

I forget who mentioned it above but it's been stated that you don't really need to clean the chain first. I have no first hand experience trying it that way so I can't say how it would turn out.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Thx for the feedback. More soaking....

From everything I’ve read/viewed the wax won’t adhere correctly if any of the oil/grease remains. They say that once the hell of the initial prep is over, it’s a pretty simple and painless process going forward.

All the more reason to do multiple chains at once so that they can be rotated to extend their life as long as possible.

02camaro

Background:

gas does work but you need to do it multiple times, i like to light the chain on fire rather than let it dry for extra flair.. the sonic cleaner with purple power or green stuff in it should work well too.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
gas does work but you need to do it multiple times, i like to light the chain on fire rather than let it dry for extra flair.. the sonic cleaner with purple power or green stuff in it should work well too.

Full strength or diluted?

AndyJ

I boil new chains in a pot of water. With KMC chains at least, you'll see a glob of grease floating on the top after a few minutes. I still usually do a cleaning with some degreaser as well, but just the boiling seems to displace a lot of the grease.

Top Bottom