Chain lube????

TimBay

3tldy9.jpg

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Put me in the wax column. I've only been doing it for a month or so but so far I like it. It's not great if you ride wet trails or trails with a lot of water crossings.

serviceguy

I have been using these lubes as well as their grease and fork lube/cleaner and other stuff as they came on special offer. So far so good but you know me, I rarely ride so...

Bicycle-Chain-Lube-Dry_7967bd51-be93-43e9-be2a-9b67d958afe3_1349x.png
Bicycle-Chain-Lube-Wet-120ML_1ebb1f5b-a4f8-4476-984c-6c3e38ef9e2d_1349x.png

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I prefer Finish Line but I’m not above picking up some white lightning if I happen to be in wal-mart. It’s conveniently available and I’ve been using it since I was like 12.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
my LBS likes to use the white lighting clean ride (i believe, its a wax based) and i find that it creates a build up on jockey wheels and chainrings, i dont like that at all, the stuff i posted above attracts a minimal amount of dirt (which is abrasive and helps wear out chains faster)

im replacing a eagle 12 speed chain (x01) which spent most of its life lubed with this stuff, and lasted almost 1400 miles on my full suspension bike.

68nova200

Go ahead and flame me... But I have been using chainsaw lube. No problems yet. A little more cleaning than usual I guess...

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Go ahead and flame me... But I have been using chainsaw lube. No problems yet. A little more cleaning than usual I guess...

chainsaw chain lube is tacky, intentionally to try and keep it on the chain at high chain speeds, however this also would cause it to attract dirt and pull it into your chain, do what you want, just saying dirt in moving parts, not good.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
my LBS likes to use the white lighting clean ride (i believe, its a wax based) and i find that it creates a build up on jockey wheels and chainrings, i dont like that at all, the stuff i posted above attracts a minimal amount of dirt (which is abrasive and helps wear out chains faster)

im replacing a eagle 12 speed chain (x01) which spent most of its life lubed with this stuff, and lasted almost 1400 miles on my full suspension bike.
Agree with the build up. I have to scrub my jockey wheels a lot more often when using white lightning. For some reason I just always seem to have it in hand ?‍♂️

68nova200

chainsaw chain lube is tacky, intentionally to try and keep it on the chain at high chain speeds, however this also would cause it to attract dirt and pull it into your chain, do what you want, just saying dirt in moving parts, not good.
I never said it was good... The question was what do you use. Honestly the only reason I use it is because I was out of the white lightning. Every lube i have tried attracts dirt.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I never said it was good... The question was what do you use. Honestly the only reason I use it is because I was out of the white lightning. Every lube i have tried attracts dirt.

unfortunately lube has a habit of doing that, but minimizing how much you pick up is going to help extend chain life. (not scolding, just sharing information and a point of view from the engineering side of this discussion, if you want one from the lubes side i could call my wife over . . . .)

68nova200

unfortunately lube has a habit of doing that, but minimizing how much you pick up is going to help extend chain life. (not scolding, just sharing information and a point of view from the engineering side of this discussion, if you want one from the lubes side i could call my wife over . . . .)
I hear you. I just researched that wax method and I think I'm going to try that next.

Top Bottom