Cars, it's electric! Do Do Do

One of the biggest impacts of EV's - is skating the gas tax system. Gas Tax maintains the roads/bridges/infrastructure. The revenue generated from those charging stations, can't be an equal $ for $ value. If you charge at home, you could use the roadway that you aren't helping to maintain - therefore the state, county and local road you are using gets a big fat goose egg from you putting miles on.

One of the biggest impacts of EV's - is skating the gas tax system. Gas Tax maintains the roads/bridges/infrastructure. The revenue generated from those charging stations, can't be an equal $ for $ value. If you charge at home, you could use the roadway that you aren't helping to maintain - therefore the state, county and local road you are using gets a big fat goose egg from you putting miles on.

200w (3).gif

This is a great thread - lots of interesting points and counterpoints. Even more shocking is that it was started by @DEEZ NUTS

you sound like one of those angry drivers that don't want bikes on the street, lol

The gas tax is definitely a significant contributor to those types of infrastructure projects, but it's definitely not the only funding source. Something will have to be adjusted if EVs end up making up a larger portion of road users. The gas tax seems generally like a bad way to address infrastructure. It's not as if only people who purchase gas benefit from the existence of safe and functional roads, bridges, etc.

The gas tax is definitely a significant contributor to those types of infrastructure projects, but it's definitely not the only funding source. Something will have to be adjusted if EVs end up making up a larger portion of road users. The gas tax seems generally like a bad way to address infrastructure. It's not as if only people who purchase gas benefit from the existence of safe and functional roads, bridges, etc.

NJ gets 2x more road revenue via tolls compared to gas taxes. FL is the opposite.

Despite my posturing, I am not anti-EV, the technology is just not yet there for me. So I will happily help promote technological demand by consuming as much gasoline and diesel as I can (go Exxon-Mobil stock)!

Getting back to the original topic, Electric Boats, we've owned one. It really puts perspective on just how much battery weight you are actually hauling along. Depsite the silence and lack of needing to charge it for our use, it's just not comparable to 300hp of Yamaha on the transom in Barnegat Bay...

you sound like one of those angry drivers that don't want bikes on the street, lol
Completely the opposite. Infrastructure repairs and upgrades help keep me gainfully employed. Gas Tax and Tolls help create hose bike lanes, complete streets, and walkways on normally motor vehicle ridden roads.

I'm all for the conservation of natural resources and environmental stability with the use of EV, but if your wear is the same as my wear and you are not covering your share of the cost - its a problem.

Completely valid - but its based on the impact of the user. Once a bike path is paved, the impact is minimal and can last decades. Heavily traveled roads can go 2/3 years and needs a resurface. Trucking industry pays heavy. Motor vehicles pay their proportionate amount.

If you wanted to ride over to NY on your bike, would you consider it fair to pay a toll?

Its 2021, we dont just burn coal and let the smoke out un-treated. The emissions from coal and natural gas power plants is treated with scrubbers and other technology before it goes out the stack. Did you know that the power you are using right at this moment might come from the Covanta co-generation plant that burns GARBAGE to make heat/steam to produce power.

Reactions: don
Completely the opposite. Infrastructure repairs and upgrades help keep me gainfully employed. Gas Tax and Tolls help create hose bike lanes, complete streets, and walkways on normally motor vehicle ridden roads.

I'm all for the conservation of natural resources and environmental stability with the use of EV, but if your wear is the same as my wear and you are not covering your share of the cost - its a problem.
Yep, but they seem to want people driving EVs. I also didn't pay sales tax on it. And NJ sent me $5k for buying it. They'll just have to jack up the gas tax to make up for it. Perks of EV ownership.

Sure, but I bought a 2019 outback cpo for less than 25k when it was 38k new.....you dont have to eat all of that deprecation..although at this present day with the car market, things are pretty skewed...And by all means buy whatever you want.....my argument was for a cheaper electric car...I dont care what anyone spends their money on.

agree, I love the adaptive cruise in the outback and the lane keeping....

That's a pretty killer deal. Carvana would give me $19k for my $24k 2019 Impreza today with 40k miles on it. When I was car shopping used Subarus were not worth going used from what I saw.

Completely valid - but its based on the impact of the user. Once a bike path is paved, the impact is minimal and can last decades. Heavily traveled roads can go 2/3 years and needs a resurface. Trucking industry pays heavy. Motor vehicles pay their proportionate amount.

If you wanted to ride over to NY on your bike, would you consider it fair to pay a toll?

I guess my point about a gas tax being the wrong way to address infrastructure is kind of getting at your question about the fairness of a person on a bike paying a toll.

We don't have sales tax on things like food and clothing because they're considered to be "essential". For an awful lot of people, purchasing gas to get to work is essential as well, and the burden of that is significantly borne by people who have longer commutes and, in many cases, are less able to pay for it. So, trucking companies, sure. Perhaps a gas tax is fairly proportional to their usage and impact. But there are plenty of larger businesses that generally benefit from a system of roads and bridges that allow their employees to get to work and for goods to be transported around. An increase in the gas tax doesn't really impact them in the same way that it impacts their employees who have to get there. This is my point about increases in the gas tax not being the best way to address infrastructure spending. It's not just the guy filling his car with gas who is having an impact on the road system and he's certainly not the only one benefitting.

Are we far enough off topic now? :D

Back
Top Bottom