Car-spotting thread

Im betting the dealer markups for Broncos, Grand wagoneer's, maybe even some sporty-ish cars will start coming down soon enough.

I know its for a mini-van but I just put the deposit down on a 2022 Honda Odyssey lease (our 8th one in a row since 2002). The dealer is at MSRP with no mark up but the inventory is still pretty low so I had to put my name on one of the ones from the dealer allocation, and I will get out of my current lease 3 months early and they will cover the remaining payments.

After debating buying out and then selling my current one (2019 with only 20K miles) I decided the hassle of buying, taxes, getting a loan, and privately reselling it somehow was not worth it even when I see similar ones line mine for sale online for 10K more than my buyout costs. The main issue is due to pandemic, Honda finance no longer allows you to sell off your lease as an option at the end (like to Carvana). The only way it might be worth it is if I could have paid cash for the buyout value and then resold it to a dealer or something.

Too many ifs and in the end the wife wanted a new one anyway like we have done for the past 20 years so oh well.

I know its for a mini-van but I just put the deposit down on a 2022 Honda Odyssey lease (our 8th one in a row since 2002). The dealer is at MSRP with no mark up but the inventory is still pretty low so I had to put my name on one of the ones from the dealer allocation, and I will get out of my current lease 3 months early and they will cover the remaining payments.

After debating buying out and then selling my current one (2019 with only 20K miles) I decided the hassle of buying, taxes, getting a loan, and privately reselling it somehow was not worth it even when I see similar ones line mine for sale online for 10K more than my buyout costs. The main issue is due to pandemic, Honda finance no longer allows you to sell off your lease as an option at the end (like to Carvana). The only way it might be worth it is if I could have paid cash for the buyout value and then resold it to a dealer or something.

Too many ifs and in the end the wife wanted a new one anyway like we have done for the past 20 years so oh well.
Yeah the new vehicle every few years is nice if that’s your gig, but no car payment is WAY nicer. I think leasing is one of the worst gigs ever.

Yeah the new vehicle every few years is nice if that’s your gig, but no car payment is WAY nicer. I think leasing is one of the worst gigs ever.
I don’t 100% disagree. It made more sense when the kids were younger and I was traveling for work a lot because she would always be driving something newer and covered under warranty.

But it’s the only car payment I have out of 4 cars in total in my house since the two older boys drive and my youngest will turn 16 the end of the year having the one payment isn’t terrible. And next round I lowered the payment by $100 a month for a brand new car.

I got a call from the dealer where we bought our VW Atlas. They want the car bad, they just don't have anything to sell me.

I'm not sure about sold prices, but I've seen the same vehicle as mine on dealer lots, with similar mileage, asking a price not much lower than msrp, and higher than I paid almost 3 years ago.

I checked with Carvana and Vroom. Both gave offers around $5k more than my buyout. Same issue though and VW won't let 3rd parties buy out a lease at my price, they are using market value, which is close to $8k more than my price.

I got a call from the dealer where we bought our VW Atlas. They want the car bad, they just don't have anything to sell me.

I'm not sure about sold prices, but I've seen the same vehicle as mine on dealer lots, with similar mileage, asking a price not much lower than msrp, and higher than I paid almost 3 years ago.

I checked with Carvana and Vroom. Both gave offers around $5k more than my buyout. Same issue though and VW won't let 3rd parties buy out a lease at my price, they are using market value, which is close to $8k more than my price.
I have found the exact same vehicle/trim/model on various web sites (cargurus, carvana etc..) selling for nearly $13K more than my buyout, plus I am giving away about 15K free miles that we didnt drive the car under the lease allowance (thanks COVID).

I found a recent article which talked about pre-pandemic most of the major auto makers didnt care who you sold it to, but now with supply issues they changed the terms so they can get their own vehicles back and resell them. I didnt even bother contacting Honda Finance to see if they would allow it.

It still sucks because I know I have equity in the car but its only due to the current market. In more normal times the car maybe would be worth $5-8K more than buyout because of the low miles. Plus with my luck as soon as I buy it something will break since the 3 year warranty will be over.

I'm just spitballing...but if the 2008 gas crisis was any evidence.....big-ish SUV and pickup truck sales/prices CRASHED into the toilet......If i owned an SUV right now (my family is 3 people, so I dont need a ton of space) i'd unload it and by something smaller....I feel like in the next year or so the chip shortage production issues will be figured out, gas prices might still be high tho....so might be a better time to buy.

I have found the exact same vehicle/trim/model on various web sites (cargurus, carvana etc..) selling for nearly $13K more than my buyout, plus I am giving away about 15K free miles that we didnt drive the car under the lease allowance (thanks COVID).

I found a recent article which talked about pre-pandemic most of the major auto makers didnt care who you sold it to, but now with supply issues they changed the terms so they can get their own vehicles back and resell them. I didnt even bother contacting Honda Finance to see if they would allow it.

It still sucks because I know I have equity in the car but its only due to the current market. In more normal times the car maybe would be worth $5-8K more than buyout because of the low miles. Plus with my luck as soon as I buy it something will break since the 3 year warranty will be over.
We could make money selling our Subaru Forester when the lease is up in May but we plan to keep it down in FL.

I'm just spitballing...but if the 2008 gas crisis was any evidence.....big-ish SUV and pickup truck sales/prices CRASHED into the toilet......If i owned an SUV right now (my family is 3 people, so I dont need a ton of space) i'd unload it and by something smaller....I feel like in the next year or so the chip shortage production issues will be figured out, gas prices might still be high tho....so might be a better time to buy.

We just got a large SUV but it's a hybrid so don't see value changing much

So after the 1100 Porsches sink off the Azores and some of the factories are shuttered as they get wire looms from Ukraine, today I get a call that I have a 992 GTS allocation if I want. I am #2 on the list, but #1 passed as his 2019 Carrera T was just stolen out of this driveway and he doesn't yet know what insurance will pay for the car.

August lock date, September build, Nov/Dec delivery. Likely a 2023 MY. I have until Wed at 12pm to decide. If I pass, I remain #2 on the list. The next delivery will likely be March 2023.

@R8Bill and I also booked 3 nights in NC with a rally group. TOTD, Cherahola Skyway, Moonshiner, etc, etc. June 10-12. Hoping for good weather!

So after the 1100 Porsches sink off the Azores and some of the factories are shuttered as they get wire looms from Ukraine, today I get a call that I have a 992 GTS allocation if I want. I am #2 on the list, but #1 passed as his 2019 Carrera T was just stolen out of this driveway and he doesn't yet know what insurance will pay for the car.

August lock date, September build, Nov/Dec delivery. Likely a 2023 MY. I have until Wed at 12pm to decide. If I pass, I remain #2 on the list. The next delivery will likely be March 2023.

@R8Bill and I also booked 3 nights in NC with a rally group. TOTD, Cherahola Skyway, Moonshiner, etc, etc. June 10-12. Hoping for good weather!
So what does that mean in terms of price? Whatever Mark up they want?

Assuming MSRP and no additional shenanigans, it seems like you could do very well on this deal. Would you be committed to trading your GT3? No markup needed if they can low-ball your trade.

Porsche Monmouth will only order you a new 911 if you have a 911 to trade and you buy a $5k Porsche Design watch.

Back
Top Bottom