Campmor H2H Ringwood Fall Classic Race 9/7

BiknBen

Nimrod said:
Yes = Race in the mud. Lighting is about the only thing that stops these things.

Not entirely true. A Bulldog race at Deer Park was canceled completely a number of years ago. We had a heavy rain event the day before and the ground was already saturated from previous rains. Apparently, the dirt road in and out of the place is what prompted the cancellation.

Races are occasionally shortened to reduce trail damage.

Nimrod

Not entirely true. A Bulldog race at Deer Park was canceled completely a number of years ago. We had a heavy rain event the day before and the ground was already saturated from previous rains. Apparently, the dirt road in and out of the place is what prompted the cancellation.

Races are occasionally shortened to reduce trail damage.

Killington was cut short (shortened) as well this year because of lighting

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
The ground at Ringwood is so dry right now, that a few inches of rain may actually help the conditions.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I remember racing at Ringwood in 2001 during a torrential rain. The downhills were pretty much active streams. It was pretty ugly.

More recently, wasn't an event at Ringwood cancelled due to rain, some time in the last couple of years?

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I remember racing at Ringwood in 2001 during a torrential rain. The downhills were pretty much active streams. It was pretty ugly.

More recently, wasn't an event at Ringwood cancelled due to rain, some time in the last couple of years?

Yes, Huricane Floyd. 15 inches of rain destroyed most fire roads in the park, which remained closed for 3 years. Plus over 100 trees blowed down on the race course. Internet and cell service in Bergen, Passaic and Rockland counties was out for one week. Electricity in the area surrounding the park was out for over a week. I think it was declared a state of emergency.

God bless the eager mountain bikers that showed up for the race. After 100 ft of riding the course, they understood the powers of mother nature, and many asked to help fix the trails. Although the race cancelation was posted, most people could not access that information.

The amazing thing was that most trails that mountain bikers built as sustainable were still ok, mostly the roads and hiking trails damaged.

Well, let s not hope for any of that to happen again. I say "let the sun shine on our race".

Pokgirl

Spork
Fabulous. I will be doing 1 25-mile loop at the Landmine race, so there isn't even an opportunity to cut the race shorter. There is a 50-mile marathon going on as well. Should be fun!

DownhillR3

RVCC will be giving away a FREE 20th Anniversary T-shirt to the first 175 racers to pre-register. Please note that registration is only open until 5pm on Friday.
:)

Ah you see! I don't check this forum for a day and I miss out on Pre-reg! What happened to the normal saturday night 11pm closing? BTW, the more rain/mud during the race the better...just no lightning!

9 year old

Hello ringwood addicts:

My son is 9 years old he races in the H2H series beginner 10-14, he go second place in Lewis Morris and Darkhorse. Because of technical problems he could not finish the Kittatiny. I also coach two other 16 year olds who race in 15-18 beginner cat. I tried the race course map on last sunday with them, i could not figure out the most of the course. Map seemed a bit off. I am from Allamuchy so that was my first time there. Anyways my question is, if my son would have hard time in there. He can easily do North side of Allamuchy and deer park areas.

I just dont want to push him into something that would discourage him. Some of the green section of the course I think we have covered last week. Any input would be valuable.

Thanks,

emrah

Killington was cut short (shortened) as well this year because of lighting

I got caught in the lightning in Killington. I was at the at the top of the mountain. There was no time delay between the lightning and sound. I was like a stick on the bike waiting to get struck. I survided it. But it was a fun race.

emrah

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
This'll be the toughest course on the calendar this year I think. Blue is tough too but Ringwood in this direction includes a number of dismounts for the beginners (and some of us sports!). Add in some ugly weather and it may not be the best race for a 9-yr old. But I don't know -- if your kid can ride Allamuchy, then maybe he's up for it.

To Ellen and Art: Please run the race on Sunday. We'll abstain from pre-riding tomorrow (admittedly the thunderstorms will make that decision easy) but if the weather is nice Sunday, let's go ahead with the race please. This'll most likely be my last race for some time.

This'll be the toughest course on the calendar this year I think. Blue is tough too but Ringwood in this direction includes a number of dismounts for the beginners (and some of us sports!). Add in some ugly weather and it may not be the best race for a 9-yr old. But I don't know -- if your kid can ride Allamuchy, then maybe he's up for it.

To Ellen and Art: Please run the race on Sunday. We'll abstain from pre-riding tomorrow (admittedly the thunderstorms will make that decision easy) but if the weather is nice Sunday, let's go ahead with the race please. This'll most likely be my last race for some time.

Thanks Justin...The course is marked clearly right? There seems a lot of ins and outs.. Cell phone, terrible t-mobile has no reception there either..

thanks for your feedback.

emrah

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Thanks Justin...The course is marked clearly right? There seems a lot of ins and outs.. Cell phone, terrible t-mobile has no reception there either.

I have t-mobile and I have never received reception there. My wife knows when I'm not home I'm usually at Ringwood so she's proposing we get different service just because of that!
Ellen can verify but they were supposed to mark the course last night. I would think they went ahead with the marking.

Top Bottom