Bye Bye Golf TDI

BiknBen

My transmission decided to tie itself in knots this morning.

I couldn't be happier. This car almost broke my VW passion...ALMOST!!! No more Turbos, automatics, or diesels for me. :mad:

Good news? I'm car shopping. :hmmm:

PatrickBrown

I couldn't be happier. This car almost broke my VW passion...ALMOST!!! No more Turbos, automatics, or diesels for me. :mad:

I'm a VW/Audi technician if you need anyhelp

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Very interested in this discussion, I just got back from test driving a passat wagon with the wife. We were impressed. Her search has narrowed down to that, the audi a4 and volvo v50. A quick stop by the volvo lot took the v50 more or less out of the running. Wish we could wait for the jetta sportwagon this summer.

Which vw's have you owned Ben, and how do you rate the quality, etc? Thanks and sorry to semi-derail :D

BiknBen

Whats on the list of potential targets?

I'm not one of those types that gets into the whole car shopping experience. There are VW and Mazda dealers within two miles of my house. I've bought from each before.

I sat down at each dealer this evening. Looking at a VW Rabbit or a Mazda 3 hatch. I like the hot hatch concept but need to keep the price to a minimum.

I would really like to say FU to VW but the golf/rabbit just fits me. The Mazda 3 is similar and has interesting curves.

Last edited:

BiknBen

I'm a VW/Audi technician if you need anyhelp

I ignored an engine light for two months. This morning the car slowly put itself in neutral after a few bucks and clunks. I was told today I had a leak in the top of my trans. VW service quotes $4480 to replace the trans. I'm sure I could shop for a better price but I've had multiple issues with the car and just want to unload it.

FWIW: I was on the third turbo. It's an '02 Golf GL TDI w/ 101,400k miles.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ugh, we've had 2 Jettas and I cannot wait to be done with VW. It's like the money pit with those cars.

BiknBen

Which vw's have you owned Ben, and how do you rate the quality, etc?

I've owned an '87 Fox, a '95 Jetta GLX, and this '02 Golf TDI. The Fox ignited my VW passion with its Elegant Simplicity. It was a trooper for me. No hassles and just fun to drive. I splurged for the Jetta when I entered the workforce. Never gave me issues, awesome German drive, and got nearly 200k miles.

This Golf just has not worked out. Diesel is a hassle and the car drives lousy. The turbo blew twice. The trans has been acting strange for a year but never when I brought it in for service. A number of other things that collectively gave me bad vibes.

I could write a book but I'll just say that VW has gotten lazy with QC while trying to offer what the buyers want as quickly as possible. I want my "Econobox w/ Character" back from the '80s & '90s

BiknBen

Ben are you an IMBA member? They have a great program with Subaru.

Not a member. Thanks for the tip though.

Subaru VIP Partners Program Details

You must be a member of IMBA for 6 months before you qualify for the VIP Program.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I could write a book but I'll just say that VW has gotten lazy with QC while trying to offer what the buyers want as quickly as possible. I want my "Econobox w/ Character" back from the '80s & '90s

This is my experience with the '99 Jetta. Nothing bad enough to kill it, but expensive enough to kick the wallet in the nuts. Details include the windows falling into door, various squeaks, every sensor on the car going over time, cup holder even fell out, and sometimes not starting when it's extremely humid out.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Ben are you an IMBA member? They have a great program with Subaru.

Ben,

You should not overlook Subaru, even if you can't get the Nambla discount.

I beat the shit out my cars. I am an abusive car owner.

I love everything about my Outback XT w/Man trans. (except that it only takes super gas)

You can put a bike in the back of my outback with both wheels on.

Grab a used Outback wagon in a stick and you should be good to go.

The other day when you couldn't open you non power window I was thinking you need to get rid of that POS.

Pat might be able to help you out before you dump your VW.

j

BiknBen

The other day when you couldn't open you non power window I was thinking you need to get rid of that POS.

Believe me. The manual windows have burned me ever since I bought the car. VW made power windows standard on all vehicles in '03. I screamed. :mad2::mad2::mad2:

dirty bert

Banned
garage

we had a VW Jetta, it turned into a garage bunny. nice looking cars but so expense to maintain. good luck wit the new search!

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I had a 2001 Jetta and except for an AC compressor that went south (under warranty) I had no troubles with it for the first 40-something thousand miles.

Plus, if you're a gear-head, tweaking the Mark IV VWs is great fun--especially with the 1.8T...it is a great little motor. I had all sorts of go fast goodies stuffed into that thing. I have UGI that goes beyond just bikes...

I'd still be driving it, but a tree jumped out in front of me a few years ago...'took a tree in the drivers door at about 35mph (the story is absurd, so I'll skip it). Walked away; love those side impact airbags :D Considered getting another one, but stumbled on a CPO 330ci w/only 13K miles on it for the same price as a new GLI Jetta. My pre-kid BMW love took over and the Jetta was forgotten...

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
I sat down at each dealer this evening. Looking at a VW Rabbit or a Mazda 3 hatch. I like the hot hatch concept but need to keep the price to a minimum.

I would really like to say FU to VW but the golf/rabbit just fits me. The Mazda 3 is similar and has interesting curves.

I've had a Mazda 3 hatch (5 door) for just the last 7 months, but it's a great car and I love it. The coupe, naturally, is a little less expensive but I too like the styling of the 5 door.

Engignar

I love my 1.8T GTI.....and will continue to until my warranty is up. After that, well, I've already got some electrical gremlins living in the dash and they are bound to pop up again when I have to pay for them. By the amount of mileage you are putting on your cars you clearly are not leasing them, but I came across some deals at Wayne Mazda last night that are just ridiculous. Mazda 3's and Miatas for 59$ a month with a bit over 1K down for 24 months. They probably have some good deals on cars for purchase if they are going to be running lease specials like that. If you go with a 3, how could you not pay the few grand more and get a Mazdaspeed 3? Thats a sweet little car - too bad it isn't awd.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
go fast bits for the 1.8T are endless..... I have made roughly 500whp on mine, it ran a best of 11.60s but at 126 mph

Heh, heh, I didn't go beyond what a K04 compressor + bigger injectors + intake + downpipe + exhaust could give me (about half that at the *crank*). I had to drive mine to work :)

That reminds me I have a new Autotech downpipe in the basement I need to get rid of...I could buy more bike stuff, then...

PatrickBrown

I had to drive mine to work :)

I drive mine daily, rain, sleet, snow, soon to have a new Thule rack and a baby seat in the back :)

if any of you VW owners ever have any questions or need any work done at a very reasonable price, please hit me up, I can save you plenty of money on parts and labor

Pat

Top Bottom