Bye Bye Golf TDI

D

DANSPANK

Hey Pat! Does the Audi A5 have roofmount hitches to put a roof rack on it?

If anyone is interested in an Audi A4 then now would be a great time to get one as the next generation comes out in the 2009 model year so dealers will be looking to deplete their current stock.

parabola07

honda

My transmission decided to tie itself in knots this morning.

I couldn't be happier. This car almost broke my VW passion...ALMOST!!! No more Turbos, automatics, or diesels for me. :mad:

Good news? I'm car shopping. :hmmm:

You should really check out the Fit... doesn't have all the power in the world....but really fun to drive. so far have been bullet proof. And it sounds like it would suit you. It has been around for 5 years in japan and europe so all the bugs are out of it....I work at Honda of Princeton so let know, I could get you a deal.

supermike

TDI's get such hot and cold reviews. I have one. We bought it new and now it has about 110k on the odometer and we've never had any significant problems (save for a bad sunroof track a week after we bought it. I also know three other people that have or had them. One was the biggest piece of shit in the world, one had occasional significant issues (which I think may have had more to do with the owner) and the third is on his second TDI. It sounds like there are QC issues with VW's more than anything else.

On the Subaru suggestion that came up in the thread, I recently needed to ditch my pickup truck for a "family car." I looked at the outback wagon (which I liked), but ended up going with a Volvo XC-70. It's more refined, and alot bigger than the subaru, and if you're buying a used one, it's not really any more expensive. The down side is that the gas milage isn't great, it'll probably have to be totalled if the dashboard light goes out, and it's a Volvo Wagon (which contrary to popular belief is not what the cool kids drive).

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Dhsean from this site also has one, maybe he will chime in.
And Sean went from a WRX STi to a Fit, so there's still gotta be a pretty good fun-to-drive factor. Plus you can put a ridiculous amount of stuff in one, for such a little car. I dig them a lot.

walter

Fourth Party
And Sean went from a WRX STi to a Fit, so there's still gotta be a pretty good fun-to-drive factor. Plus you can put a ridiculous amount of stuff in one, for such a little car. I dig them a lot.

Agreed, I sat in one at the Honda dealer while getting my wifes CR-V serviced. It is a lot bigger on the inside than it looks. Im a bit over 6' and I was plenty comfortable. Same with the Element, I opened that back door up and it was like looking into a cave.

TonyC

go Honda

Agreed, I sat in one at the Honda dealer while getting my wifes CR-V serviced. It is a lot bigger on the inside than it looks. Im a bit over 6' and I was plenty comfortable. Same with the Element, I opened that back door up and it was like looking into a cave.

agreed Walt.
I sat in a fit while getting an oil change for the Odyssey. It seems cool, but I would opt for the Element. Lots of storage and rubber mats perfect for dirty bikes.
I'm a big Honda guy, Owned an Accord, 2 Preludes, have Civic and Odyssey. Not a problem with any. My wife had a Subaru Forester before the Van and I have to say it was a great lil Suv, AWD awesome.

BiknBen

Thanks for the replies. I'm fortunate to have a friend with three cars so my immediate needs are covered. I'm using his junker to get to work.

My primary wants are a compact hatchback type vehicle at <$20k. I've got VW and Mazda dealers in my neighborhood that I've purchased from before. That's why I looked at those brands to start. A Subaru dealer is another mile away so I'm looking at options there (Imprezza). I'm not familiar with Subaru much.

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm trying to avoid turning this into a car buying quest. Honda, Toyota, and most US brands simply don't give me that tickle when I look at them. Going Used make me feel like I'm picking someone else's discarded girlfriend.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
You should really check out the Fit... doesn't have all the power in the world....but really fun to drive. so far have been bullet proof. And it sounds like it would suit you. It has been around for 5 years in japan and europe so all the bugs are out of it....I work at Honda of Princeton so let know, I could get you a deal.

I got my fit from paul p. at princeton honda.

I'm a honda "fanboi" at heart, my fit is my 5th honda, but I couldn't be happier. The inside of the fit can swallow so much stuff, it's redicilous. The way the rear seats fold up is ingenious and so easy, that if I had to get a new car I might have to get a pickup truck, since nothing else would compare. It's a little anemic merging on highways, but I get between 30 and 40mpg and it's got enough oomph to get you around. Plus, it's a quality made car and the handling is so much fun (my other car is for track use only and I have a couple grand worth of suspension mods and great tires and the fit still impresses me)

My dad has an element, so I can comment on that. Comparing the interior space and usability, even though the fit is hugely space efficient (popular mechanics called it the most space efficient car in the US), the fit is like an econoline and the element is like a hertz box truck. You can fit 4 or 5 mtn bikes in the back with wheels on, if you lower the saddles. The rear seats can fold up and out of the way, flat, or can be taken completely out. It gets acceptable mileage, takes 87oct, doesnt handle like a huge suv and has enough power to make you happy. Plus, it's a huge bargain.

As for VW and subaru, through personal experiences, experiences of close friends and through my work, those are by a long shot the two car companies I always try to sway people away from. I don't know anyone who has had one that didn't have countless problems, problems that a new car, especially one that is 20k+ should ever have.

ben - I'm guessing you live in hamilton based on the dealers you mentioned. My gf bought her car at mazda and while I wouldn't send my worst enemy to their service dept., mazda makes some really nice, solid, reliable, fun cars. She's had the 3 hatch as a service loaner a handful of times and it's an awesome car. I really considered getting one before I got the fit, but it was too much $$ for me at the time. My pick is the mazda 3 hatch. The new rabbit is much nicer than the mk3 and mk4 vw's and the the new impreza is definitely a step up from the previous gens, but I really think the 3 is the best car out of the 3.

pinkshirtphotos

i love my 2000 jetta with a vr6 my dad got it new then gave it to me 190,000 miles and still going to strong. i want a tdi because of the fuel economy and diesel is just cool. he is driving a 2006 audi a4 (hates it) but has 70k miles on it. he only got it because my mom made him hes looking into getting an s5 soon.

BiknBen

So I decided to shop around for a better price to replace the Trans. I just didn't expect that my first two calls would be for only $2500. That's nearly half of what the dealer wants. Yeah, I know dealers are more expensive but I didn't expect such a significant difference.

Once the car is fixed, I can get much more for it as a trade-in. For all you Subaru fans, I did look into the Impreza. There aren't any around with manual transmissions. The Mazda3 5-door is still at the top of the list and there are a few sitting at my local dealer's lot.

I would have test driven something today/tomorrow but I'm a single dad this weekend. I'll drive some this week and my car should be fixed by Thursday.

Thanks for the input. I'll keep ya posted.

BiknBen

Well if you fix it, why not keep it? How many miles on it?

No thanks...I've been done with this car for a while. Been waiting for an excuse to move on. It's got 102,000 miles now.

The reason to fix it is just math. It was worth $2000-$2500 with the blown trans. After spending $2500 to fix it, it will be worth $7000-$8000.

Honestly, my wife does the books in my house. I warned her a few months ago that the car was in need of work and I'd like to replace it. She gave me the old, "we need to wait" and then blew me off. Now she knows I wasn't kidding. Isn't married life bliss?

DownhillR3

Hey Pat! Does the Audi A5 have roofmount hitches to put a roof rack on it?

If anyone is interested in an Audi A4 then now would be a great time to get one as the next generation comes out in the 2009 model year so dealers will be looking to deplete their current stock.

I have been looking for an '06 A4/A4 Avant wagon for a couple months now. Their are hundreds out there(06 model) which they are giving great warranties on and Audi is giving the dealers a discount to move them, but the dealers WON'T BUDGE on the price, so i'm starting to reconsider Audi now.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I decided to shop around for a better price to replace the Trans. I just didn't expect that my first two calls would be for only $2500. That's nearly half of what the dealer wants. Yeah, I know dealers are more expensive but I didn't expect such a significant difference.

Once the car is fixed, I can get much more for it as a trade-in. For all you Subaru fans, I did look into the Impreza. There aren't any around with manual transmissions. The Mazda3 5-door is still at the top of the list and there are a few sitting at my local dealer's lot.

I would have test driven something today/tomorrow but I'm a single dad this weekend. I'll drive some this week and my car should be fixed by Thursday.

Thanks for the input. I'll keep ya posted.

Ben,

Try this guy. Real nice guy & knows his VW stuff. Pricing was always good to me.

http://www.foreigncarwerks.com/

pinkshirtphotos

look for a 2004 gli nice fun cars... i know you would rather have a stick but the audi a3 is nice but stick is only available in 2.ot fwd if you want quattro its going to be the dsg trans, not my fav but it is the worlds fastest switching trans and makes the car faster, you can get paddle shifters as well as the tiptronic but no clutch.... i need a clutch

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No thanks...I've been done with this car for a while. Been waiting for an excuse to move on. It's got 102,000 miles now.

The reason to fix it is just math. It was worth $2000-$2500 with the blown trans. After spending $2500 to fix it, it will be worth $7000-$8000.

Honestly, my wife does the books in my house. I warned her a few months ago that the car was in need of work and I'd like to replace it. She gave me the old, "we need to wait" and then blew me off. Now she knows I wasn't kidding. Isn't married life bliss?

I think this just underscores the QC problems with VW you mentioned. When I was growing up, VWs were the cars you could drive for 200k miles. But even now, 102k is disappointingly low. Our '99 has 125k on it and that thing better last at least another 50. The '96 might be following in the tracks of your car real soon though.

On bliss: At least we'll both be riding new Niners this season.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I think this just underscores the QC problems with VW you mentioned. When I was growing up, VWs were the cars you could drive for 200k miles. But even now, 102k is disappointingly low. Our '99 has 125k on it and that thing better last at least another 50. The '96 might be following in the tracks of your car real soon though.

On bliss: At least we'll both be riding new Niners this season.

I am sure that they are not trying to get the cars to last 200K. In fact they are most likely tryng to get them to last 1 day longer than the warranty.

This is Walmart mentality. Make it cheap and make it last long enough so it isn't our problem.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I am sure that they are not trying to get the cars to last 200K. In fact they are most likely tryng to get them to last 1 day longer than the warranty.

This is Walmart mentality. Make it cheap and make it last long enough so it isn't our problem.

It isn't the "Walmart mentality"; it is a thing called "planned obsolescence" which I would characterize as making it cheaply as possible, yet good enough in terms of quality and features/functionality that they'll buy another one in the future...but not too distant future.

So yeah, they don't want all of us to put 200K on our cars before we buy a brand new one; but they also don't want to design/build it in such a way the thing immediately goes to crap when the warranty is up. A manufacturer's reputation\perception is a huge component of being able to sell new cars, so going to crap shortly after the warranty is up can be a problem for the manufacturer.

Designing and building thousands of cars to hit that "good enough" point, yet maximizing margins, is a challenge I'm glad I don't have to deal with; it is daunting to say the least.

Top Bottom