Boating, Sailing, & Floating Devices

Congrats @THATmanMANNY ! Sunfish are easy to sail. But I recommend light winds for learning. Less than 10 mph. I’d offer to show you the ropes but I spend most time in PA. By the way, the ropes are typically called lines (Smaller boats) or sheets (larger yachts). Some tips to start:

Know where the wind is coming from. Once you establish that, think of the wind as 12 o’clock. The Closest you can typically sail to 12 on a Sunfish is 10 o’clock (starboard tack) or 2 (port tack). This is known as pointing. Alternating between starboard and port tacks is known as “tacking” or “coming about” when you turn into the wind. When you switch tacks by turning away from the wind, it’s called jibing (Jai-bing). Sailing to 6 o’clock (wind directly behind you) is known as running. In between these is known as reaching.

When pointing, the sail (and the boom, which is the bottom pole to which the sail is attached) is roughly in line with the centerline of the boat. When running it’s out to one side or the other, almost perpendicular to the boat. When reaching it’s somewhere in between.

Hope this helps to get you started. Go pro if you can and I’ll give you pointers after the fact ;-)

My grandmother is looking to party!

I've been looking for a hoist to get her in my bow rider or I'm not sure if it exists but some robust stairs from the dock with railing. I'm not sure if that exists but I've been googling.

My grandmother is looking to party!

I've been looking for a hoist to get her in my bow rider or I'm not sure if it exists but some robust stairs from the dock with railing. I'm not sure if that exists but I've been googling.
Gammy gonna need a pontoon boat bro

haha yes, I've been looking at those too
$1k vs $ab,cde

was on my buddy's tritoon the other day. That thing is smooooth

Last edited:
After buying the lake house, I was casually looking at FB marketplace ads for cheap kayaks and canoes when I stumbled upon this. Couldn’t resist.

View attachment 160813View attachment 160814View attachment 160815
Snow mobile is next.

Pat and I took the required Boat Safety course to operate a powered vessel on NJ waters. It's really a simple test, intended to educate, regulate and protect boaters.

I continue to learn how to rig and sail, so as to captain sailboats. See use on the water.

Sun's out, guns out.
FB_IMG_1624843315604~2.jpg

Other than my wheel barrow boat here's my other one. Nothing crazy buy it gets me on the water. Got it for "free" it had trees growing inside of it and required a complete gutting down to bare aluminum and re foam, fit a new floor then carpet it , new paint, all new electrical, new pumps, battaries, trolling motor, had to make the 75hp outboard that hadn't ran in 25 years start running again plus threw on a 9.9 that hadn't run in 15 years so it was. Massive project bringing the master baiter back to life. 35065.jpeg20170719_194414~2.jpgIMG_20180718_101207.jpg35020.jpeg20170610_200040.jpg

vacationing on LBI this week
I want to bring the boat but don't want to pay a weekly slip.

Is it illegal to anchor it in a protected bay area for as long as I want? I'm just going to swim or paddle out to it.

Thinking about anchoring it east of Mordecai island.

vacationing on LBI this week
I want to bring the boat but don't want to pay a weekly slip.

Is it illegal to anchor it in a protected bay area for as long as I want? I'm just going to swim or paddle out to it.

Thinking about anchoring it east of Mordecai island.

i have no idea - what is the boat worth? can you track it if someone steals it?

Back
Top Bottom