Best Dropper Pos?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
w_b said:
...new bike day is coming.....
giphy.gif

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
All modern trail bikes are designed with a dropper post as part of the equation. Every performance review you read on the internet, in a magazine or on YouTube is with a dropper. If you were to put a static post on any of the trail, enduro, “downcountry” (WTF?!?) bikes that are out there
then the review would most likely be terrible.

My Reverb crapped out a month into owning it. Had it rebuilt 2 years ago- no issue since. It’s slow as shit in the cold though. I bought a PNW for my new bike. Haven’t used it yet but heard good things.

What the fudge is a downcountry?

mtbiker87

More along the lines of a short travel all mountain bike. Low and slack geometry like a modern all mountain bike, but with XC bike travel.

CrankAddictRich

I have a TranzX dropper on my Fuse that came stock on it.... its the only part on the bike that is still stock. All of the reviews said this thing would die a quick death and yet, 3 years later it is still kicking. I had a command post on my Enduro and I liked how it felt and the fact that I could adjust via air pressure. When the TranzX dropper on the Fuse dies, I'll probably go for a PNW or Bikeyoke. I have heard great things about both, particularly the Bikeyoke.

Reactions: w_b

Captain Brainstorm

More along the lines of a short travel all mountain bike. Low and slack geometry like a modern all mountain bike, but with XC bike travel.

That's a contradiction in terms. Low and slack geometry, but with a lack of travel to help deal with the higher speeds that you'll allegedly achieve with said geometry. That's like putting skinny tires on a Ferrari or Porsche, makes no sense. I'll take my extra travel along with the low and slack, thank you.

mtbiker87

That's a contradiction in terms. Low and slack geometry, but with a lack of travel to help deal with the higher speeds that you'll allegedly achieve with said geometry. That's like putting skinny tires on a Ferrari or Porsche, makes no sense. I'll take my extra travel along with the low and slack, thank you.
I dont entirely disagree. The supposed idea is that they climb better than an enduro bike, but can get almost as rowdy. Make less challenging terrain more fun, and technical terrain more challenging. Personally, I'm more inline with your way of thinking, but gotta admit, some of the most fun ridding I've had was on my old 140mm travel agro geometry steel hardtail. But I sold that to get my current 160mm travel bike....so....yeah. I guess I see both sides of the coin, and as long as I'm having fun on a bike it's all good ! But to keep the post on topic...they both had droppers, and were better for it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I wonder if this is all due to pressure drops. Though I don't use it often, I've had two Reverbs that I used rarely and were purchased used. Never had any issues in cold weather, but I also set them up when it was cold so the pressures were correct when it was 10-20 degrees out.

@Cory said the solution is to bleed the system when it is cold - so you got it. Both of mine had trouble when cold, (first one replaced under warranty) and it is now sitting in the garage in the parts bin.

Reactions: w_b

njmark

Professional Cyclist
My new bike came with a TranzX which is my first dropper post, so far it's held my saddle just fine since I've only been on the Columbia Trail with it and haven't had cause to use it yet.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Just bought a Reverb AXS. I like no cables and simplicity. Hopefully SRAM delivers.
This is the only b
Just bought a Reverb AXS. I like no cables and simplicity. Hopefully SRAM delivers.

I’ll share with you a secret. Axs product receives way more generous warranty service. Keep receipts, monitor service intervals and enter them on the app. They will look at the app when you send it in for service.

This IMO is the only dropper to buy that says sram on the side.

Did you also get the axs shifter and der?? If so, try using the lower left button to shit lower, the lower right button to shift higher and the upper left button for the dropper. I found this pretty intuitive as the left side pairs with the direction you want the chain to move and vice versa. Also download the axs app. It should tell you what gears you use the most and how much you use the dropper. Add a quarq and the data gets crazy. Wait till the suspension gets axs (not long now).

They have flooded the market with the reverb hydro the way Maxxis has. Simply by offering significant oem advantage.

Tangent: Maxxis is rumored (from another one tire maker) to sell their tires to the OEs at their landed cost as a loss leader. This seems to have fooled everyone. It wasn’t that long ago that Maxxis tires went in the garbage as the first part of building a bike. To be fair their tires have improved.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
My new bike came with a TranzX which is my first dropper post, so far it's held my saddle just fine since I've only been on the Columbia Trail with it and haven't had cause to use it yet.

Each time you reach a foot to the ground is a great place to start. Learn to use it and you will use it as much as your shifter.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
This is the only b

I’ll share with you a secret. Axs product receives way more generous warranty service. Keep receipts, monitor service intervals and enter them on the app. They will look at the app when you send it in for service.

This IMO is the only dropper to buy that says sram on the side.

Did you also get the axs shifter and der?? If so, try using the lower left button to shit lower, the lower right button to shift higher and the upper left button for the dropper. I found this pretty intuitive as the left side pairs with the direction you want the chain to move and vice versa. Also download the axs app. It should tell you what gears you use the most and how much you use the dropper. Add a quarq and the data gets crazy. Wait till the suspension gets axs (not long now).

They have flooded the market with the reverb hydro the way Maxxis has. Simply by offering significant oem advantage.

Tangent: Maxxis is rumored (from another one tire maker) to sell their tires to the OEs at their landed cost as a loss leader. This seems to have fooled everyone. It wasn’t that long ago that Maxxis tires went in the garbage as the first part of building a bike. To be fair their tires have improved.
Thanks for that info. I was talking to @jimvreeland about it too. I’m pumped, now I just need to build it up.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Took my PNW dropper apart today just because as it was sticking for the last inch or so when returning, needing a helping hand for full extension. This is the simplest thing ever. No bleeding remote, no need to pump up to pressure. Turns out the sticking was due to cable friction as the return spring was likely not strong enough. My cable run is quite long down the downtube, and up the seatpost. Lubing the housing and cable fixed it. Either way, completely cleaned, regreased, and reasembled the post.

+1 for PNW droppers. Would buy.

Top Bottom