Best Dropper Pos?

w_b

Yes, a freudian slip typo in the title, but from what I read, most from you guys and gals, I'm just one ride away from dropper failure. Not being an early adopter by any means, I have never ridden a dropper, other than in the parking lot, but am slowly starting to come to the conclusion that they may be more than just another thing to break.

Then I read this article, which just confused me more.
Someone's version of what's best

So far, I think I know not to get a Reverb, but not what to get. Anyone who actually uses one happy with theirs?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
iv been riding bontragers line dropper on two bikes, so far so good, get the gen 2 if you go this route.

Reactions: w_b

Dingo

I've been real happy with the transfer, 3 yrs no service, no problems. I use it plenty on every ride.

dmc123

I have a fox transfer that came with my bike I bought just over a year ago. I felt that it worked well until it didn't. Started to stick on the way down then wouldn't come up. Tried everything and decided the problem was internal. Finally sent it to fox. I am told it should be covered under warranty even though its past a year. Hope it lasts longer this time.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have 250-300 hours on a reverb stealth, 250-300 on a fox transfer and my son has a PNW pine, maybe 30-40 hours.

I personally, didn’t have any issues with the reverb, other than it being very sluggish below 32 degrees. Halters did the 100 hour service around 150 hours.

The fox has been great, zero issues in cold weather, even in the single digits. The rebound was very fast compared to the reverb on its fastest setting. It started to show some sluggishness in December and just had it serviced by fox.

The PNW is the 27.2 version so it looks really
Skinny. Compressing it and rebound is sluggish compared to the fox but it works just fine and has a three year warranty. It is also inexpensive.
m
the reverb is for sale, 31.6, 120 travel, cheap.

Last edited:

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I got a brand x from chain reaction I've had it for 3 years and it has started to finally have issues it was 80 bucks I can't complain considering I haven't touched it and I'm sure if I clean it adjust it it would be fine.

I'll buy another one of these or a pnw one in the future

mtbiker87

Currently have a PNW on my Knolly. Bought lightly used from an active forum member. Works a treat. Would buy another. Had an X-Fusion Hilo. Bought it used as well. Cable attachment was a bit fiddly, but worked ok. Have a KS that came on one of my recently aquired hardtails. Not much time on it, and it's nothing fancy, but it goes up and down when I push the button. I treat them like I do my other slidy things, wipe the stanions down after every ride, check for leaky seals, service if needed, and they've done ok by me. Droppers are ace once you use 'em.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I got three years out of my reverb without ever having it serviced so apparently it’s a freak of nature. That said, it did just decide to crap the bed and I think I’m going to try something else when I replace it. This reply is not helpful at all.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
i have 2 Transfers (a Kashima and a non-Kashima) and both have served me pretty well for over a year. They're both starting to stick on the way up but as @jdog said, i've never done the service on them, nor do i even ever really clean them or lube them so it's my fault (or cold temperatures maybe). I'm also a dropper newbie and i am now addicted.

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
1 fox transfer 125mm 1year old
1 9 Point 8 125mm 1 year old
1 9 point 8 100mm 3 years old
Never serviced. clean and lube post with suspension spray lube. All working perfect.

02camaro

fox transfer is the only option in the game in my opinion. cold, hot, damp and everything in between it worked. after 3yrs and prob 300hrs i sent mine in because it "didnt feel smooth" it was still working fine. spend the money cry once buy once.

JDurk

Been using a Thomson on my Scalpel since '17. Sent back for service in '18 due to sagging 1/2" when seated. Been good since. Have noticed slight side to side and front back play, but only when off the bike and using my hands to check for it. Paired with the Wolftooth remote instead of the Thomson lever. That being said, plan to have it serviced soon.

Xler8

I have three Fox Transfers and two KS Lev Integra’s. All of them have been working fine except for one Fox which had a leak and was covered under warranty. It was one of the earlier Transfer posts and haven’t had any issues since. Nor with any of the others. Although they all do the same thing (go up and down) I will say there is a difference in how they do it. The KS, although a little older, has a very soft lever feel even with trying multiple lever brands. The Fox has a more firm lever feel and a better feel when it reaches full extension. I believe these nuances hold true between all brands and could be a deal breaker. Not sure how the new KS droppers feel but I would get another Fox just based on the way it feels. The bigger brands reliability seems to be getting pretty good so I feel that’s becoming a non issue. Even if you do have an issue they are pretty good at making it right for the customer.

Next time a group ride happens, ask around to feel people’s dropper and see what you think works for you.

Top Bottom